02 ZX3 Grinding Noise while in gear - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
02focusva
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120310
What I Drive: 2002 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 02focusva Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
02 ZX3 Grinding Noise while in gear

Background: 02 ZX3 with 89k have replaced in the past year the following: Rear brakes, ebrake cable, idler pulley, serp belt, plugs, wires, complete tune up, water pump, timing belt, all three motor mounts, clutch slave cylinder ( the one under the dash), 3 complete clutches put in the past 6 months. Frist one lasted a week was bad set from O Riley’s. Plate just came apart at rivets, so unrelated.
Second one master cylinder started to leak (made a grinding noise shortly before it crapped the bed) and lost pedal (3 months about 6k), this was the replacement that O Riley’s gave me for the first one. So I hauled to a transmission shop and they put in a Ford OEM set works great now.

I have started to get a circular grinding sound ( almost like a caliper dragging on the rotor) when the car is in gear and not under power. You can give it gas and it does not make it. Take the car out of gear and it does not make it. It is very noticeable 3rd gear 35 to 40 mph. If i rev it past 4k and shift gears it will grind till I reengage the transmission. I started making the sound this morning when it was cold every time i put the clutch in, once it warmed up it only did it in gear.
Car does not vibrate, pull when you brake, the wheels dont have play in them (bad wheel bearing), knock when you turn or go over bumbs.

I had the wife take it back to the transmission shop and they told her nothing was wrong, I may have to take it myself and talk to these guys.

Is this transmission, wheel bearing, axle related? At my wits end with this thing. Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Bad synchros, particularly for third gear, are common on these. That would suck, especially given your clutch nightmare. It would mean dropping the tranny again and either rebuilding or replacing. Btw, the clutch master is the one under the pedal, and the slave is the one inside the transmission housing.

Not entirely sure of your description, though--doesn't make the noise under power but worst in 3rd from 35-40mph?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leora83 View Post
Bad synchros, particularly for third gear, are common on these. That would suck, especially given your clutch nightmare. It would mean dropping the tranny again and either rebuilding or replacing. Btw, the clutch master is the one under the pedal, and the slave is the one inside the transmission housing.

Not entirely sure of your description, though--doesn't make the noise under power but worst in 3rd from 35-40mph?
This is an odd one... The description doesn't sound like a synchro issue to me...
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Leora83
Focus Addict

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

Points 448, Level 8
Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8 Points: 448, Level: 8
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
This is an odd one... The description doesn't sound like a synchro issue to me...
True, but hard to tell from the symptoms described. Couldn't imagine what else could be causing it though, unless the shop put in the wrong clutch, so it seemed like a potential candidate.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
cheap sleeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59848
What I Drive: 2001 black zx3

Points 1,021, Level 17
Points: 1,021, Level: 17 Points: 1,021, Level: 17 Points: 1,021, Level: 17
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 cheap sleeper Good Standing Member
Carrier bearing maybe? If I had that I would check the front hub nut torque on both sides and tighten if needed and listen for a slight change (when it's loudest, change in pitch, etc..) Just a thought. I've seen brake pads be put on a little weird, and retainer pieces popping loose and making noises.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
02focusva
Focus Rookie

The noise is on decleration or costing while in gear. Diffently coming from the tranny. Gears could be backlashing on decelartion. Either way tranny has to come out again and guts rebuilt. Just think it may be easier to pick up a rebuilt one than tear mine open to find a bad gear or shaft in addtion to bearings and what not.

Thanks

Anyone got a line on a source for rebuilt trannys?

Anyone?

Last edited by 02focusva; 11-01-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
02focusva
Focus Rookie

Anyone know a good source for a rebuilt tranny?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
cheap sleeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59848
What I Drive: 2001 black zx3

Points 1,021, Level 17
Points: 1,021, Level: 17 Points: 1,021, Level: 17 Points: 1,021, Level: 17
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 5 cheap sleeper Good Standing Member
Use your local parts locator, check craigslist, and here on the forums! I just swapped mine with a used one I bought off of Mikeb on here! He happened to live here inmy town, and delivered it to me. You may find a great guy on this site that'll have one near you!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
02focusva
Focus Rookie

Update: Tore the tranny a part everything looks good, but this thing has plastic cone bearings? Anyway you cant pre-load these or set crush on them ( which is what sets your backlash) so I am upgradeding them to metal.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #10
Rodriguez
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 123225
What I Drive: 2000 Black SE Sedan

Points 130, Level 2
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Rodriguez Good Standing Member
Did the bearing change solve your issue? I'm seeing the same issue, but mine comes with vibration.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.