Purchasing a new car this fall - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson)

Ford Focus Purchasing Center (Ask A Ford Salesperson) Discuss about special incentives and ordering information on the Focus & Focus ST.
Sponsored By: Phil Long Ford - Colorado's #1 Ford Dealer

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Lavacon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 110762
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Lavacon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Purchasing a new car this fall

Good Day folks,

I will be purchasing a new car this fall. I was wondering what month would be the best month for a good deal.(rebates, incentives, pricing) I am hoping for a 2013 Focus SE hatchback w/ manual & appearance package. What are the chances there will be something like that available in the fall? There seem to be plenty at the moment.

The segment looks to be heating up for the 2014 model year. Between the new Focus, upcoming Mazda 3 and new 2015 golf it looks like I have some great choices. I know I wont see the new Golf until 2014, but the Mazda is right around the corner and I HAVE to test drive it

Oh decisions decisions....

Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
techman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116212
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 1 techman Good Standing Member
I've always been told the best months to buy are August and December.

August because the dealer is clearing their lot for the new model year cars (last chance to get a 2013?).

December because its Xmas time / Snowing and no one wants to hang around a dealer.

Personally, I always found August to be the best time... but these days with enough perseverance, you can find a great deal any time of the year.

The new Mazda3 does look nice...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
By fall chances are you'd be looking at a 2014 not a 2013 depending on remaining inventory at that time. They were building 2014 models as of 7/8/13 already.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
Lavacon
Focus Rookie

My hope was, if choosing a Ford that is, to luck out and find a 2013. I know that's a crap shoot, but, I can't see a good reason in getting a 2014 Focus other than for availability reasons. Perhaps if the incentives were anywhere near as good as they are/were for the 2013s.

The other end of it is waiting for a few other cars as I mentioned. If the Mazda 3 gets priced competitively I think it will have an edge bang for the buck wise. If I could wait until Spring 2014 I'd be able to drive a 1.8T Golf as well, but, I would hate to wait that long just to be let down.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
techman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavacon View Post
My hope was, if choosing a Ford that is, to luck out and find a 2013. I know that's a crap shoot, but, I can't see a good reason in getting a 2014 Focus other than for availability reasons. Perhaps if the incentives were anywhere near as good as they are/were for the 2013s.

The other end of it is waiting for a few other cars as I mentioned. If the Mazda 3 gets priced competitively I think it will have an edge bang for the buck wise. If I could wait until Spring 2014 I'd be able to drive a 1.8T Golf as well, but, I would hate to wait that long just to be let down.
You'll always have that problem though. There's always some other "great" car around the corner. That applies to almost any purchase... "should I buy this iPhone or wait for the next one?", etc etc.

If you wait till Spring 2014, you may find you want to wait for the 2015 model cars.

Figure out your situation, when you need to buy a car vs when the best time is and just go for it.

I ordered a 2014 Focus ST (got a great deal! A 2013 wouldn't have been worth it for me). I was very tempted to wait till 2014 for the new WRXs.. but in the end, decided that this summer was the right time to buy for me.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Lavacon
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman View Post
You'll always have that problem though. There's always some other "great" car around the corner. That applies to almost any purchase... "should I buy this iPhone or wait for the next one?", etc etc.
Absolutely agree 100%. I'm usually pretty good about these things being a PC hardware enthusiast for the better part of my life. This would have been easier in 2011

In what sense was the 2013 not worth it for you? Did you manage to get a better deal on the new model? Coming from a 2007 Legacy Spec B, the ST has been a compelling car as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
techman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Absolutely agree 100%. I'm usually pretty good about these things being a PC hardware enthusiast for the better part of my life. This would have been easier in 2011

In what sense was the 2013 not worth it for you? Did you manage to get a better deal on the new model? Coming from a 2007 Legacy Spec B, the ST has been a compelling car as well.
Yea, I got the 2014 below dealer cost (this employee savings discount thing is amazing!). Even if I managed to squeeze another 1k out of the 2013, I'd still be taking a huge depreciation hit. Plus the only 2013s I could find were built in Oct 2012 (all the problems from the first batch?).

That's why I was saying that nowadays time of the year doesn't seem to matter. It's much easier to hunt around for a great price than it used to be (some dealers will even email you their offers).

The only downside is that after putting down a deposit for the order, I'm stuck waiting 2 months for the car and let me tell you... it's painful. lol
Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Lavacon
Focus Rookie

I can imagine the wait is quite painful.

The 2013 would still be a better deal for me as I do not have access to the wonderful employee discount.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
techman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
I can imagine the wait is quite painful.

The 2013 would still be a better deal for me as I do not have access to the wonderful employee discount.
How so? I'm referring to the sale that's on now (and every summer for the past few years). I'm not an employee.. just taking advantage of Ford's sales/incentives.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Lavacon
Focus Rookie

I thought you were referring to one of the Ford AXZ type employee discount plans.

Bookmarks & Social Networks