Jeep defies Gov't recall request ... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Jeep defies Gov't recall request ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ecall/2388607/

Quote:
Chrysler Group is taking the very rare step of defying the government by refusing to recall 2.7 million Jeeps that federal safety officials say are dangerous and should be recalled.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sent the automaker a letter late Monday asking it to recall the 1993-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty. NHTSA says the rear-mounted gas tanks in those vehicles are too vulnerable to leaking and catching fire in a rear-end crash.
Chrysler said Tuesday it "disagrees with NHTSA's recall request," and won't honor it.

I searched a bit and came up with nothing similar, that is the NHTSA asking an automaker to recall vehicles up to 20 years after their sale.
I think this is the correct move from Jeep. I don't recall any recall ever applying to multiple platform changes over such a wide range of years. If Jeep would give in and issue the recall, it'd set a precedent that could potentially hurt much of the auto industry. The NHTSA could go back as far as they wish to ask (force) a MFG to issue a recall simply from public outcry (in a very minor percentage) for any 'safety' reason.

I'd say that if a major safety issue is not found within a reasonable timeframe and during the warranty period of the vehicle, there should be no recall issued.

Gov't needs to back off and make some more stupid training video's and take a seminar. This is stupid.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
GiGiRockU
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109326
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Focus Ti 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 GiGiRockU Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I hate training videos... and working for the government, they make us watch them a lot. BIG waste of time and money. It's no wonder why the U.S. is broke as crap..
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Apparently this isn't a new issue (I didn't know this before), and dates back even to 2010, and some documents even back to the 1980s (after the Pinto incident)

And apparently Jeep moved the gas tank location in 2005 for the Grand Cherokee and there hasn't been any fire-related rear-end collision deaths since (as opposed to 50+ prior)

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/stor...storyid=209731

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...k-fires/nHX6G/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/jeep-g...ry?id=11473270

Last edited by felixdd; 06-07-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
I disagree, corporations/ companies should be held accountable to safety standards, and a rear end collision ending in a fire ball engulfing the vehicle and the occupants inside is what i would consider "major safety issue" and the only reason jeep is not honoring the recall is because it hurts the bottom line "$$$$" Here is another example of responsibility going out the door, even if it saves one life its worth it. Corporation will see their time when they are held accountable to their irresponsible actions home and abroad, if you dont beleive me watch " Bananas" i disgress, maybe jeep is telling the tru th though .... Maybe.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #5
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
I disagree, corporations/ companies should be held accountable to safety standards, and a rear end collision ending in a fire ball engulfing the vehicle and the occupants inside is what i would consider "major safety issue" and the only reason jeep is not honoring the recall is because it hurts the bottom line "$$$$" Here is another example of responsibility going out the door, even if it saves one life its worth it. Corporation will see their time when they are held accountable to their irresponsible actions home and abroad, if you dont beleive me watch " Bananas" i disgress, maybe jeep is telling the tru th though .... Maybe.
so they should be held responsible for the actions of an asshat that rear ends the jeep? typical blame someone else... did jeep cause the rear end accident that caused the fire? how many fires have there been? and why should they be forced to recall someones 20 year old rusted out junk with 4 flats and no tranny? where does it stop? whats the fix?
Have to agree with the op on this one, and we've seldom agreed over the years, that this could set a very bad precedence for any consumer product.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Imho i dont think the government would ask them you recall the vehicles with out some solid evidence the gas tanks were to blame. Same answer as my statement before with the fires, and they should recall them because they have national registries information showing that there is enough of the vehicles on the road to warrant a recall due to public safety. Where it stops no one knows, my point is they made a product that supposed to transpot people safely and in the unfortunate event of a rear end collision shouldnt errupt into flames. And the fix is stop cutting corners and make a quality product.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

I dont think jeep is fully to blame either, im sure there is other circumstances that lead to the gas tank fail, how the vehicle was hit too.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

My point still stands though :-)
Old 06-07-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
gatmog
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15492
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 gatmog Good Standing Member
I had a Cherokee that was rear ended twice--both times, the offending car tore it's radiator open and the Jeep was fine. A lot of older vehicles have rear mounted gas tanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #10
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatmog View Post
I had a Cherokee that was rear ended twice--both times, the offending car tore it's radiator open and the Jeep was fine. A lot of older vehicles have rear mounted gas tanks.
This was what I was thinking... for decades vehicles have had gas tanks mounted between the rear bumper and the rear axle. It's not a particularly safe place (the 04-06 GTO had to have the tank relocated inside the trunk to meet safety regs for importing them here, for example), but why single Jeep out, and do it now?

I saw this story on TTAC and they posted misleading pictures and video of Jeeps on fire and Jeeps burned, and most look suspiciously like they had nothing to do with being rear-ended.

Bookmarks & Social Networks