Very Brief MK1 Misfiring at High Altitudes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
spongebue
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104250
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX5 SES

Points 176, Level 3
Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3 Points: 176, Level: 3
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 spongebue Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very Brief MK1 Misfiring at High Altitudes

Hi guys,

I've got a 2005 Focus ZX5 (best body style of them all!). Automatic transmission, sadly, with just over 80,000 miles. The usual 2.0L engine on an '05. Today I was driving on I-70 in the Colorado mountains, making the climb from Silverthorne to the tunnel. Basically, you gain about 2000 feet in 7.5 miles with slightly varying inclines. I've only done this climb a couple times in this car, and haven't had any problems yet. This time, I was at about 11,000 feet in elevation, almost at the top before the tunnel and the decline after. Soon I felt my engine lose power. It was still on, but rather than the 60MPH at 5000 RPM I had been going, it was limited to maybe 3000RPM. Check engine light was flashing (misfire, according to the manual). Thankfully, because I was almost at the top, this only lasted about 30 seconds before she snapped back into her normal self. CEL turned off, and the car had more pep in its step.

Is this something I should really worry about? I mean, it's not exactly a drive in the city - it's pretty intense driving around there. Is there anything I can do to prevent it in the future? The car wasn't too heavily loaded (2 people in front and a small suitcase in the back, last time I had a friend with me as well and he's on the heavy side - that went fine). The biggest thing I can think about is the air conditioning. I never did turn it off that whole climb up, which I usually do, but doesn't the computer usually turn that off if it needs the power?

Thanks!
-Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

Points 12,739, Level 73
Points: 12,739, Level: 73 Points: 12,739, Level: 73 Points: 12,739, Level: 73
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 10,881, Level 69
Points: 10,881, Level: 69 Points: 10,881, Level: 69 Points: 10,881, Level: 69
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 73 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If the warning happened to be the exclamation point (!) it would be for transmission overheat most likely, and that would reduce power then recover as soon as it cools a bit.

A/C being on & a hot day would make that more likely.

Just a guess, you can confirm which warning lighted up & folks will continue throwing out possibilities.

Cheers!

S.R. #275
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
spongebue
Focus Rookie

Points 176, Level 3
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
It wasn't super hot out as I recall - just gets warm and stuffy inside when it's sunny and you've got a black interior :D

It was the yellow check engine light that went on. The same one that would tell you that there's an OBD diagnostic code waiting. But again, it was just flashing briefly, and went off on its own. The manual tells me that that signals that the engine is misfiring. Ultimately, I mostly want to be sure that there is no long-term damage to be mindful of, and if there are any tips to prevent it in the future, that would also be great.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

Points 1,532, Level 22
Points: 1,532, Level: 22 Points: 1,532, Level: 22 Points: 1,532, Level: 22
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would think it would have to do with the air temperature and density that high up. With the air going into the engine has changed, then it throws off the air fuel ratio and the computer tries to quickly adjust for it. (<- just an idea, and I may be completely wrong here) If the vehicle is used to being driven in those conditions, the computer may need to relearn for the sudden changes.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
spongebue
Focus Rookie

Points 176, Level 3
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Right, that's what I was thinking. To give an idea of what the car was going through, the oxygen concentration in the air goes down 1.1 percentage point (7.5% if my math is right) - 35 percent less than what you'd get at sea level. Normally I'm in Denver (5280 feet :) ). It may not be a huge amount, but it was over the course of a few minutes. Plus, I came from Steamboat Springs, CO (with a few stops in between) - lots of altitude changes on that route.

That's all based on this chart: http://www.higherpeak.com/altitudechart.html
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,532, Level 22
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Im not expert on this, but it makes sense to me. If Im wrong, hopefully someone else can pitch in and help get you the right answer.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,432, Level 94
Points: 23,432, Level: 94 Points: 23,432, Level: 94 Points: 23,432, Level: 94
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Yeah it happens a lot to vehicles making that transition in CO. Older Fords used to have the same trouble on descent. What happens is the barometric pressure sensor (doubling as the map sensor at the time) reads only at engine start-up. You'd shut it off (if it didn't die on its own) and it would fire right up and run great until the same drive is made.

I believe the sensor makes multiple samples now. I think that was their fix. So essentially when it started running like crap for you, it took another baro sample and corrected itself.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,532, Level 22
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 18%
Thats good information to know. Thanks for pitching it so we can help him get it figured out.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
spongebue
Focus Rookie

Points 176, Level 3
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Ok, cool. Heh, that reminds me of when I took my other car through the mountains for the first (and only) time. 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera. Morning of 4th of July, a few weeks before I bought my Focus. I was on the same hill, but the opposite direction (westbound, better known as "down" in this spot). Got out of the tunnel, and spent the next few miles braking to keep my speed under control. Then my friend commented that my battery light was on. I noticed that my oil light was on as well. Oh hey! What do you know! I have no power brakes or power steering. Wonderful.

If there was a typical weekend traffic backup or ice on that highway, I'd be screwed. I was using quite a bit of force on the pedal just to maintain my speed. Popped it into neutral, tried starting up again. Nah. He didn't really feel like it. Turned off radio, climate control, etc to keep my battery conserved in case there was an alternator issue or something (remember, my battery light was one of the first things I saw). ~20 seconds later, try again. Nothing. I felt the "4 C's" needed for air traffic controllers (cool, calm, collected, and in control) but my friend (who actually went to ATC school) said it was the scariest thing he's ever been through. My speedometer acting funny with the key off didn't help. Finally, about a mile before the exit, I try for maybe the 4th time. Success.

Filled up the gas tank, and went to Burger King to get a bite to eat and catch our breaths. Friend insisted on paying for the fill-up despite my best efforts, and I think he was surprised at how much it took (probably 13.5 gallons, most I've ever seen it take was 14.5). He later asked if it was possible that there wasn't much gas in the tank, so it was tilted away from the fuel line on the steep hill. Given that it ran pretty well on the way home with a full tank (just felt underpowered due to the bigger engine needing more air, heavy car, and steep incline) I think that's most likely. Then again, if it only took its sample in the beginning, I would have expected it to cut out when I was trying to get up to the tunnel, not when I was idling down.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.