Rattle help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
ZeeXfive
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99314
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue Metallic ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 ZeeXfive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Rattle help

I assume this is the best place to ask about trunk rattle. First off i have a 02 ZX5 with one 10in kicker in a ported box. So now the problem, i have tightened and tightened the license plate down and even double sided taped it everywhere, but i cant seem to shake the rattle. It also seems that there is some rattle coming from the middle panel where the trunk latches closed and i looked at it and it very easily moves.

Has anyone with a hatch and a sub had this problem and fixed it? If so...how? And i know the obvious choice is dynamat but i was wondering if there were other ways.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
AudioTechnix, RAAmat, etc. make great and affordable products.

You can wrap the wire with adhesive backed weather stripping.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I went with fatmat and was very pleased with the product. ~70sq feet did my entire hatch floor pan, and doors (double/triple behind speakers in the door).

It seems to work pretty well, and didn't seem to be much different from dynamat at 1/3 of the price.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i have a buddy who fixed his license plate rattle with some double sided foam tape everywhere, even at the screw points to better absorb the rattles.
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
i have a buddy who fixed his license plate rattle with some double sided foam tape everywhere, even at the screw points to better absorb the rattles.
This^^^

My plate and trunk is deadened with AlphaDamp but weatherstripping tape behind the plate worked the best for the plate.
A lot of mods.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
3-4 cans expanding foam in the hatch lid. first you cover all the small holes with tape/cardboard, then take the license plate lights out and let them hang there by the wire. then cover the hole for the license plate lights the best you can with the wires hanging loose. spray the foam into the hatch door and let it sit to try for about 12-24hrs. remove all the cardboard and tape and put everything back together. adds weight and stiffens the whole back door. i did 2 cans on my last foci and it worked great. almost completely fixed it but i also had 2 12" t2 rockford subs on a t1500.1bdcp. cant really stop that rattle with that amount of bass. your single sub shouldn't take as much work.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
its not just the plate that rattle back there, its the wiper motor, plastic panels, and even the rear bumper at times. sound deaden the whole lid and trunk area and or do the expanding foam in the hatch door. the expanding foam is a good cheap method. adds weight to the door so if the struts dont hold it up anymore you might want to get stronger ones. i didnt have the issue with it not staying up unless it was 20 or colder out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks