fiesta with electric motors at the wheels - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
fiesta with electric motors at the wheels

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...cid=autos_4264

Ford is experimenting with electric motors mounted at the wheel hubs on a Fiesta.
Seems like it would add a lot of unsprung weight, and be more vulnerable to damage.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think the biggest problem is actually working on it... And I can't wait to see what happens when the motor malfunctions and locks up at 80mph...

Theoretically it's a good idea for the rear wheels though for a drum replacement ... Mixed with that electric braking concept of turning stoping power into electric not wasted as heat... Sounds promising for better take off launches to
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
But why put it outboard at the wheels?
Inboard with axles makes more sense in every way except passenger compartment intrusion.

The article makes it sound like that is the primary goal, quit occupying potential cabin space for drivetrain components, just hide them in the hubs where space is already wasted.

Ever have a car with 4 wheel drum brakes, and have the drums get filled with water pulling out of a driveway?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
No I haven't... If I have a can't say I've noticed... But I'd imagine the motors would be sealed better, off the top of my head I can think of a seal that are used of heavy equipment it consists of 2 steal contact points that spin acrossed one another pressed together by a rubber lip. Keeps grease in and water out... works well to, I can see a problem with them at higher speed than at 12mph, but I'd imagine if they were greased every so often it wouldn't be a problem and it wouldn't take more than 5 minutes... An average joe could do it every oil change interval...

Heck, you could have an oil/lube reservoir that "drip" fed the seal contact... Wouldn't need to even add to it very often, but grease would work allot better...

I wouldn't care so long as it is optional and would take more than a half of a day and a six pack to convert into drums...
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
In wheel motors is nothing new, and for small cars, makes sense for the space it saves. They lose alot already to the battery. Plus, it allows them to maybe reuse a chassis design that originally wasn't designed to house electric motors.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
There are a lot of obstacles standing in the way for this technology, but all they have to do is keep developing it.

Necessity is the mother of invention and I'm all for it.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
These are interesting but seem like a real band aid solution, kind of like those giant heavy electric hub wheels you see on some electric bicycles. For electric bicycles there are various (more expensive) electric solutions that place the motor at the center of the bike so you don't get all that heavy unsprung weight on the wheel and hub that ruins suspension actions. It seems like it would be wise to do the same with electric car motors. I guess the attraction with these is that they're bolt-on, they could be done relatively inexpensively and could be used to move the car around an inner city of the future that bans IC motors.

Bookmarks & Social Networks