Having second thoughts about the 2012 Ford Focus... Should I? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
cfox248
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114044
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cfox248 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Having second thoughts about the 2012 Ford Focus... Should I?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

The car I drive right now is a blue 2000 Ford Focus, and I love it to death. It's my baby, and my first car, given to me for my 18th birthday - it belonged to my stepfather. It's only had one major issue beyond normal wear and tear mechanical wise, has always been reliable. (a few minor things that are annoying but don't affect the running of it.)

It's getting old, though, and those small issues are adding up. The major one is the aluminum frame on the bottom - the bolts rotted out, and it fell. No big deal, I rewired it up - but it made me think I should start looking for a new car so I can have reliable transport to work, school, and my internship and get better gas mileage.

So, I looked at the 2012. I fell in love - it's exactly what I want! But I noticed in the consumer reports that it got a black mark for reliability, and when I looked into it a bit more, I'm seeing bad things about the 'dual clutch automated manual' transmission. I was surprised, as Focuses are always very reliable - my mother also has one and it's never had an issue (a 2005). I don't want to have issues, whether or not people say it will 'smooth out' - if I'm spending 13000 on a car it better be just fine the day I buy it. (Also, my other half is not so ready to buy a car that expensive, so if it had issues right away he'd get even more 'told you so' and never buy a newer car again).

Now, I see that this transmission is only included in the SEL and Titanuim models, and is optional on S and SE, which come with a standard automatic transmission. So in theory if I go with the SE, with a standard transmission, it won't have this problem... Right? Is that the main reason it got a 'not reliable' mark in Consumer Reports? (I guess I've heard a few negative things about the digital dash... How many of you have issues with their digital dash? It's one of the reasons I want the 2012 instead of an older model).

I'm a college student and this is a MAJOR purchase for me. I've thought it out and I can, and am ready, to make it, but I want it to count. I want a car that's going to last me 13 years, like my current car has done so well.

Thanks for any pointers anybody can give me!

Old 04-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Yes, the S and SE got little complaints. MyFord Touch (opt. SEL and std. Titanium) and DCT were the only big issues I hear about. Mine isn't perfect, but it's still enjoyable enough to drive. It's a grocery getter car, I don't expect super performance.

Now since it looks like you're going used, test out the transmission. If it's fine, then it will remain fine. Mine was a lot worse but has evened out.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
cfox248
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114044
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cfox248 Good Standing Member
Oh, good! Yes, I don't need a high performance vehicle. My little grocery getter is doing wonders, no need for anything more! I guess I'll just go with a regular tranny - after all, my regular one serves me just fine now, I don't see why I'd need the fancy one. Definitely will test it out first- I don't think buying a used car without doing so is an incredibly awesome decision in the first place.

What is the major issue with the MyFord Touch? It does seem really nice, but I can see where it might be a big distraction.

Another bit about the dash - What are the major differences between the MyFord Touch and whatever it is that comes standard with the SE? It doesn't look like there's a model that comes with the standard non-DCT as well as the MyFord Touch, but if it has some issues then maybe I'd rather go with the lesser digital dash, whatever it is that comes with the SE.

I'd love to hear other opinions, if people have them - the more info I can gather up before buying, the better! (that being said I'm not buying till later in the summer, so I do have some time.)
Old 04-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
1slofofo
Adam

MyFord Touch is apparently slow to respond, think of an old computer that's bloated. It's fine if you're in a good mood, but I think I'd destroy it if I was flustered.

The Basicest dash is on the S and SE without sync. I happen to like it, it's very easy to use, and isn't too bad to look at. With Sync, (no MyFord Touch) you get some extra functionality.

Base Radio:

Upgraded Sync Radio:

Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
1slofofo
Adam

http://www.ford.com/services/assets/...stalCode=60101

A brochure you can check out of the '12 MY to see some more details about which trim gets what.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfox248 View Post
I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

Now, I see that this transmission is only included in the SEL and Titanuim models, and is optional on S and SE, which come with a standard automatic transmission. So in theory if I go with the SE, with a standard transmission, it won't have this problem... Right? Is that the main reason it got a 'not reliable' mark in Consumer Reports?

Thanks for any pointers anybody can give me!
Wrong. all 2012 foci got the same automatic DCT transmission. Unless you get the manual tranny
Old 04-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
Wrong. all 2012 foci got the same automatic DCT transmission. Unless you get the manual tranny
Wrong. Upper trim levels got Select-Shift DCT's, unless they got the manual tranny.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 04-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
thenorm
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 14947
What I Drive: '04 liquid grey ZX3, built for FSP

FF Reputation: 33 thenorm Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Wrong. Upper trim levels got Select-Shift DCT's, unless they got the manual tranny.
Are the internals (ie. problems) not the same?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Wrong. Actually you are right about the upper trim levels getting the select shift option, but all the MK3 automatics are DCTs/powershift. The select shift is just the rocker on the gear selector for manual control. Just take a look at the Focus' spec page: http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/specifications/.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
mildc3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76504
What I Drive: 2007 blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mildc3 Good Standing Member
ever test drove a mustang V6? do it stick or auto itll change your mind.

Bookmarks & Social Networks