a long read but great info on capacitors - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 82699
What I Drive: 2000 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 6 alaskanzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
a long read but great info on capacitors

tons of info from a lot of people in the car audio world. including someone that is one of the most knowledgeable people on car electronics. some real world testing with caps. the last 3-4 pages have the videos for the testing and the results of the testing. enjoy

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...-story/page-12

Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 20 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I am a believer that caps are a band-aid for a larger issue.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemind View Post
I am a believer that caps are a band-aid for a larger issue.
So am I. Get a bigger alternator if you're having issues or downsize.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

a good electrical for any high output stereo starts with the alt and grounds. improve your grounds and get a nice sized alt ( as big as you can that is known to do good not ebay junk). then improving the power wire from alt to batt and batt to amp. if your pulling more then your alt can put out then your dropping down to battery voltage (12.6-12.7). add in enough high grade caps ( not cheap junk) and the caps will charge at the highest available voltage (alt, 14.4-14.8). the amp will then draw from the highest voltage with the least resistance. meaning the cap ( 18" or less from the amp). then the alt and then the batts. a good stout electrical wont drop below 13v, but adding in some caps could gain about 1v if done right. meaning more power to the amps from a closer source.

before I left ak I had a 1500.1bdcp, stock alt, simple interstate batt under the hood, interstate rv batt for extra storage, big 3, and a 10 farad Rockford cap. with out the cap installed my voltage was dropping to about 11volts ( song dependent ). music sounded good bass was deep. installed the cap and I wouldn't drop below 12 volts and the music was louder, cleaner and sounded deeper. the amp was getting a higher voltage and so was performing better. I also had a 250 amp alt that I installed and wouldn't drop below 13volts and that too gave me the same increase that the the added cap did.

conclusion, the higher the voltage you give your amp the better it performs. caps and alt sit at a higher voltage then batts, that is the benefit. it can cost more and if not done right will only be putting a band aid on the issue yes. but correctly done and will see a gain.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanzx5 View Post
a good electrical for any high output stereo starts with the alt and grounds. improve your grounds and get a nice sized alt ( as big as you can that is known to do good not ebay junk). then improving the power wire from alt to batt and batt to amp. if your pulling more then your alt can put out then your dropping down to battery voltage (12.6-12.7). add in enough high grade caps ( not cheap junk) and the caps will charge at the highest available voltage (alt, 14.4-14.8). the amp will then draw from the highest voltage with the least resistance. meaning the cap ( 18" or less from the amp). then the alt and then the batts. a good stout electrical wont drop below 13v, but adding in some caps could gain about 1v if done right. meaning more power to the amps from a closer source.

before I left ak I had a 1500.1bdcp, stock alt, simple interstate batt under the hood, interstate rv batt for extra storage, big 3, and a 10 farad Rockford cap. with out the cap installed my voltage was dropping to about 11volts ( song dependent ). music sounded good bass was deep. installed the cap and I wouldn't drop below 12 volts and the music was louder, cleaner and sounded deeper. the amp was getting a higher voltage and so was performing better. I also had a 250 amp alt that I installed and wouldn't drop below 13volts and that too gave me the same increase that the the added cap did.

conclusion, the higher the voltage you give your amp the better it performs. caps and alt sit at a higher voltage then batts, that is the benefit. it can cost more and if not done right will only be putting a band aid on the issue yes. but correctly done and will see a gain.
It has more to do with the rate at which you listen to music. If you want to blast music every half hour on a long drive, then yes a cap would work. But you need time to charge the cap later. It doesn't really increase the total output of your system over a period of time unless you have periodic breaks to let it charge and take advantage of the full output of your alternator.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
Old 04-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Many things come into play in this subject. Like when I ran my old Xtant 3300x, I had no issues with current because that amp is a tank with lots of on-board capacitance. I never should have sold it.

When do you do most of your listening? Key on or, key off? That makes a diffidence between using a big Alt or extra batteries.

Caps can work of course but, IMO that is because of small on-board capacitance, too much wiring resistance, insufficient ground and the like.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

And that is why its install dependent. Im not wanting any aurguing just trying to bring more info with some real world testing to people that would like to know more.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
freemind
Vince your Moderator

No worries man. This has been a debated subject for the last 20 or so years. I appreciate you bringing this to the site. It is good info and I am sure it is useful.

I would add the Rep point but it will not let me.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
alaskanzx5
Focus Fanatic

All the real world testing that can be done the better. And the easier for people to find the info the better.
A good electrical should always have a big enough alt (or the biggest that wil fit), a batt bank, cap(s) and of course some really well planned and upgraded wiring. If there is a chance something can increase your electrical I say try it.
I personally believe that a good electrical can benefit from a an added cap or 2. Just because it allows your amps to draw its power from a closer source.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '03 Red EAP SVT, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The only reason I have one is because I won it. I have it and a small extra battery, I couldn't tell you which one is more effective.
'03 Infra Red EAP SVT, #1687, 1 of 101
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty

Bookmarks & Social Networks