If you DCT issues, this will interest you... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you DCT issues, this will interest you...

For the heck of it, I've been using SelectShift the past couple days. The one difference I've noticed is how much smoooother the shifts are in this mode vs. fully automatic; the rumbling in 1st is almost entirely gone.

Just a thought here, when they say "the DCT has to learn how you drive", wouldn't that be referring to the SelectShfit mode? I'm not exactly sure on how the programming is structured in the DCT, but if the full auto mode takes shift data collected from SelectShift, then I think we have a solution here, theoretically. Now, logically speaking, most of these issues with the DCT should just be software related, as much of these issues started after 12B37, which was a software update.

I'll be using SelectShift for the rest of the week, and will be going back to fully auto after. I'll update this thread then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Lemon

Points 2,284, Level 28
Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28 Points: 2,284, Level: 28
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 0 Tubeway Army Newbie
I noticed improvement with Selectshift, but a lot of my issues are when it's in Drive and warm out. It's 60F here currently, grinding was less obvious this morning compared to the other day when it was in the low 80's. I think what others said about the heat and issues is apparent though Ford has noted there are issues at colder temps so I am confused on that one?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,875, Level 32
Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32 Points: 2,875, Level: 32
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeway Army View Post
I noticed improvement with Selectshift, but a lot of my issues are when it's in Drive and warm out. It's 60F here currently, grinding was less obvious this morning compared to the other day when it was in the low 80's. I think what others said about the heat and issues is apparent though Ford has noted there are issues at colder temps so I am confused on that one?
I have also noticed that it is worse when warm out. I think this is related to leaking seals or binding components (possibly bad actuators?).

Ford told dealerships not to fix cars exhibiting a scraping noise only when there are cold ambient temperatures as replacing the clutch kit does not solve the issue. This makes sense to me - we're having more issues when it's warm that go away when it's cold and replacing the clutch kit (allegedly) solves our issues, so replacing clutches on cars that "scrape" in cold weather would be useless as it's (probably) caused by something else.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
sorry but this isn't a solution whatsoever lol.. just a way to use up more gas in an unnecessary fashion.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
BPEW584
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101933
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BPEW584 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
sorry but this isn't a solution whatsoever lol.. just a way to use up more gas in an unnecessary fashion.
If you thoroughly read my post, I said I would revert back to full auto next week.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,728, Level 66
Points: 9,728, Level: 66 Points: 9,728, Level: 66 Points: 9,728, Level: 66
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
The only way you use more gas is if you leave it in select shift automatic and go faster than 35-40 mph as select shift automatic leaves the car in 5th gear. However if you shift it properly manually you can get the same fuel economy or better than leaving it to its own devices.

I don't think I have the "typical" issues with the DCT, but I do tend to alternate between driving in select shift manual mode a lot and drive. Usually if I leave it in drive the car becomes too sensitive to the throttle and shifts down 1 gear much easier than in manual mode.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The only way you use more gas is if you leave it in select shift automatic and go faster than 35-40 mph as select shift automatic leaves the car in 5th gear. However if you shift it properly manually you can get the same fuel economy or better than leaving it to its own devices.

I don't think I have the "typical" issues with the DCT, but I do tend to alternate between driving in select shift manual mode a lot and drive. Usually if I leave it in drive the car becomes too sensitive to the throttle and shifts down 1 gear much easier than in manual mode.
I've read reviews stating otherwise and while they obviously could be wrong I unfortunately haven't had the car for over three weeks to test this theory out anyways lol but this doesn't fix the DCT Issues though.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,728, Level 66
Points: 9,728, Level: 66 Points: 9,728, Level: 66 Points: 9,728, Level: 66
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
I've read reviews stating otherwise and while they obviously could be wrong I unfortunately haven't had the car for over three weeks to test this theory out anyways lol but this doesn't fix the DCT Issues though.
I've driven extensively both ways and have seen very little reduction if anything its stayed the same or gotten better fuel economy by driving in manual mode. Car has 12.9k miles on it at the moment. Never really felt excessive shudder or slip on take off, so my only real complaints so far is that its not a 6MT.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Those of us without selectshift are not helped at all by this. Just this morning I was coming in, wanted to pass someone, hit the gas, the engine reved but speed did not increase until the tranny figured it out four seconds later, after my window to move had passed.

Four seconds to go "Hey, the accelerator is floored, lets downshift and move this rolling POS?

The focus platform has great potential, but crap execution. It's not just the shudder tranny, but that's certainly the worst part of it.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,062, Level 40
Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40 Points: 4,062, Level: 40
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
In general, the transmission/clutches work better if you "mix it up" (which includes hard acceleration and upshifting/downshifting in manual mode).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.