2013 Focus Titanium Transmission Noise (Grinding) Dealer Handout - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Fan#: 111167
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Titanium DCT Dilemma

FF Reputation: 1 Tubeway Army Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Focus Titanium Transmission Noise (Grinding) Dealer Handout

This is what my Ford Dealer handed me this morning when I took my 2013 Focus Titanium with 582 miles on the odometer in for transmission grinding, lunging and etc, it's dated 9/27/2012 with no revisions. First thing that was said to me when I explained the issues "that is normal for that model car". Maybe I should have responded "I didn't get the memo"?

Just curious if anyone else received the same two pages or another variation?

I am still wondering why this came after the fact and not before the sale? Appears that Ford had plenty of time to revise their sales brochures and notify sales people of what they consider "Normal" operation.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt on this break-in period and hope it improves because I love the car besides this annoyance/issue.

Dealer Handout Scan (note: there are two pages)

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/002452907-1.html#1

Last edited by Tubeway Army; 03-21-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
bren5666
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 110468
What I Drive: 2013 fusion se hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bren5666 Good Standing Member
I like how it says it will act and sould like a manual transmission. My manual trans doesn't grind and make unusual noises. I'm so happy I decided to go with the manual. Hopefully it will get better for you after the break-in period.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

I know what you mean, I drove manuals for years from the 1960's era muscle cars up to present and I never experienced the "normal characteristics" claimed by Ford for the DCT.

The dealer service writer seemed well rehearsed or should I say very experienced on the issue, it's obvious there were plenty of others before me and the statements were spot on with what others across the country have said.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
I got a similar document but it did not describe my particular issue of delayed shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was told the same thing about the break in period but I am at 7k kms now and it's still acting the same. I got the same spiel from another dealer.

It's sad that people are getting the same scripted answers for different issues...
"Break in period" and "It's Normal"
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
20Blue12
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104523
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Titanium 2009 2dr SES

FF Reputation: 1 20Blue12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogosu View Post
I got a similar document but it did not describe my particular issue of delayed shifts from 2nd to 3rd. I was told the same thing about the break in period but I am at 7k kms now and it's still acting the same. I got the same spiel from another dealer.

It's sad that people are getting the same scripted answers for different issues...
"Break in period" and "It's Normal"
I have 24,000 km on my 2012 Focus and it is still shifting roughly from standstill even on a rolling take off without my foot on the gas. Once it is moving past first or second gear it performs fine. Have I reached my breakin period yet or is it going to be like this till I or the car dies?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Blue12 View Post
I have 24,000 km on my 2012 Focus and it is still shifting roughly from standstill even on a rolling take off without my foot on the gas. Once it is moving past first or second gear it performs fine. Have I reached my breakin period yet or is it going to be like this till I or the car dies?
According to the 2 page memo they gave me (the link is listed in the first post in this thread) Ford state's the green clutch can last up to 100 miles, 1000 miles or more based on customers driving style. I have reached 1200 miles and mine still grinds, some have reported it improves past 20K. I do not know if I can wait that long?
Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
I'm at 49.5k miles and it still grinds and shudders. I can assure you that if you're still having issues after the "break-in" (let's give Ford the benefit of the doubt here and say 3k miles) then you probably have a bad part.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I'm at 49.5k miles and it still grinds and shudders. I can assure you that if you're still having issues after the "break-in" (let's give Ford the benefit of the doubt here and say 3k miles) then you probably have a bad part.
So you gave up on getting it corrected? Your still within the warranty. If mine is still doing this after a few years and Ford doesn't fix it, I will probably trade it in and lose plenty. I probably drive 12K miles per year roughly so 4 years, I'll be near your mileage but probably wont' get much on the trade with the DCT baggage.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Tubeway Army
Focus Addict

Mine does different things on a day to day basis, on my commute this morning, it was grinding for 15-20 seconds between 3rd and 4th then continued till it hit 5th gear. It's almost always making this noise on launch and between gear changes, but they are not clean as a manual would me. The only noise I heard from the manuals I drove was the linkage and that's it.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Pendarus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94411
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium 5dr

FF Reputation: 2 Pendarus Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 Titanium with the DCT that works very well. Everything described in the memo is accurate on my car, and in no way affects the way it drives.

However, I have never had any grinding or shift hesitation. That is not normal in my experience with my car. From all the threads I have seen, grinding and hesitation is indicative of a leaking seal contaminating the clutches with transmission oil. Ford knows about this issue, and has a TSB, but I don't think they have informed the dealers. A few members here have had good results once the seal and clutches have been replaced.

If you look at the other threads some members have posted the work orders for the clutch replacement. I would recommend downloading one of those and take it to your dealer.
Build Date: 03/06/12
Delivery Date: 03/30/12

Bookmarks & Social Networks