67mm CFM TB, Not what I expected? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
67mm CFM TB, Not what I expected?

So I replaced my TB today with the CFM one, and while yes, the throttle seems heavier without slop and the power seems more "linear" if that makes sense, it seems to have killed some of the spunk that I loved so much from my ST. It's louder, it sounds like it has grunt, and as long as I stay a gear lower than normal and keep it in the 4-6k range it has cahones, but the low-end and being able to roast the tires seems to have left. My wife drove it this evening and came back and said it wasn't fun to drive anymore, that it "drives just like any other car now". Is this just a matter of the ECU needing more time to learn or is what I bought really just a heavier spring with a little extra midrange grunt? Anyone with the CFM care to cime in? I have it taking air through a K&N FIPK if that makes any difference.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That sucks dude , thanks for putting that up though , i was going to buy one myself

Sent from my LG-LG730 using FF Mobile
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
That's interesting. Gasket and tps installed correctly, no vacuum leaks? Did you check to see if the butterfly over rotates? When I put mine on it was an instant improvement. I would contact William at cfm.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
05blkfucusdvr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73717
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX3 SeS

FF Reputation: 1 05blkfucusdvr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
That's interesting. Gasket and tps installed correctly, no vacuum leaks? Did you check to see if the butterfly over rotates? When I put mine on it was an instant improvement. I would contact William at cfm.
I couldnt agree more. Contact William at CFM. I have the same throttle body on my motor. Even though the motor is completely built i have a little bit of lag in the lower range. Its almost like the ecu cannot add enough fuel in time to keep up with the increased air intake and responsiveness. Another thing I can suggest is getting the ECU tuned to make up for the difference. I have not yet tuned my car yet but I know when I do it will be night and day. Good luck man.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
USARice
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56127
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST, DD and AutoX

FF Reputation: 1 USARice Good Standing Member
Gasket was new and TPS was already on it when I got it. I can try my old TPS and see if it makes a difference. Idle is fine and there are no dead spots in acceleration to make me suspect vacuum issues. Install was pretty straightforward with no issues. Cruise works fine. Will take off and change TPS tomorrow.

Sent from Gods Country
Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Thats what I have on mine and it has a lot of pickup for me , did you unhook your battery and then take it out for a drive so it can relearn everything? I wouldn't put my stock tb back on if anyone would pay me too .
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
When I had cfm's tb on, I noticed it was great for the on ramps & thats it. DDing bumper to bumper traffic was no good. It was just to touchy. I didn't check the geomtry or the spring stiffness. I should have messed w/ it more, but I sold it right then & there. My wife said, what the hell is wrong w/ the Foci. That was a few yrs ago.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
^^I have to agree with this as well. I wasn't too fond on the touchy-ness either. Mind you, mine was on a Zetec, but when I was forced to get an OEM tb due to the tps not being available separately, I actually liked the response from the OEM better.

Sucks to hear though, never fun to find out it wasn't what you thought. Hopefully it either gets better somehow, or you're able to figure something else out.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
@felix, try a fx300 clutch and lwfw in rush hour, not fun. Hopefully the tb issue gets resolved and sheds some light on this issue. Wonder if the tps that came with was on for a long time without being used.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #10
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiesel View Post
@felix, try a fx300 clutch and lwfw in rush hour, not fun. Hopefully the tb issue gets resolved and sheds some light on this issue. Wonder if the tps that came with was on for a long time without being used.
No thanx, I've had plenty of cammed up v/8 cars in bumper to bumper traffic.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks