My local Ford dealer is hosting a buy-back program this month - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My local Ford dealer is hosting a buy-back program this month

I didn't expect to get an email, which starts with "We're interested in your 2012 Ford...".

They say there is a demand for people selling used cars due to limited stock. The letter also says I would get "top dollar" for a trade-in to buy a new vehicle.

I've had my 2012 Focus for one year and adore it, but owe a bit of money on it. Getting a new car, with comparable features, would mean adding to the debt significantly - the only other option would be to get a Fiesta instead, but I prefer the Focus...

Has anyone gone through these buy-back programs? If so, what's your experience on them? Or what are your thoughts on this type of program?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
dodgeguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85952
What I Drive: 2009 black SES

FF Reputation: 1 dodgeguy Good Standing Member
Its not really a program per se - you are trading in your car for a new one. Thats it. I dont think there is any difference other than the fancy name. Its a win/win for the dealer - the customer typically loses money on the trade-in and the dealer sells them a new car.

Unless you are really unhappy with your current car, or will make money on trading it in (most people dont), then I wouldnt do it. Just my opinion.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Jester1911
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109586
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray SE 5door

FF Reputation: 1 Jester1911 Good Standing Member
When I traded in my 03 dakota (in 2006) they were saying the same thing, and I ended up getting alot out of my truck, I had positive equity in it.

Give it a shot, you may be surprised.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
pkj099
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94997
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 pkj099 Good Standing Member
its a typical dealer scam, just like scotch-guarding your seats or laser etching the Vin on your windshield...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
opies
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109709
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 opies Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
We traded in a 2011 Kia Sorento on our 2012 Focus. We were given more than we owe on it and there was no special program going on. The Focus was a used vehicle. The difference between what we owed on the Kia and what they gave us for it covered in full the Premium Care extended warranty.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkj099 View Post
its a typical dealer scam, just like scotch-guarding your seats or laser etching the Vin on your windshield...
Yep, it's a scam. They use the email to make you feel like you're special and try to hide the truth in the numbers.

I got a postcard in the mail from the local Honda dealer, saying they wanted my wife's '08 Taurus and would give us top dollar (>$1,000 over KBB value). Even had the approximate mileage of our car on our postcard. Must have gotten our info from KBB or NADA when I went online to value the car. When I took it in for an evaluation, sure enough they confirmed they'd give me top dollar, but it ended up they also wanted to rape me on the new vehicle purchase. Took a while to get to it since at first all they'd talk was monthly payments.

Can't hurt to talk to them, but be ready to walk at the first sniff of foul play.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
GN Prime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92475
What I Drive: 2011 sterling gray ses

FF Reputation: 2 GN Prime Good Standing Member
just go up and talk to them, it can't hurt:) just don't sign anything lol!
SES #025/ Sedan Revolution #221
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by opies View Post
We traded in a 2011 Kia Sorento on our 2012 Focus. We were given more than we owe on it and there was no special program going on. The Focus was a used vehicle. The difference between what we owed on the Kia and what they gave us for it covered in full the Premium Care extended warranty.
That's the best way to do it. Buying it new means you know who's driven it and where it's been, but depreciation is a killer. But the extra warranty coverage is one I would always do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN Prime View Post
just go up and talk to them, it can't hurt:) just don't sign anything lol!
Hehe. Agreed.

Based on the consensus of responses, I won't fall for it. I love my '12 and want to not dig deeper into "new car debt".
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused1 View Post
I didn't expect to get an email, which starts with "We're interested in your 2012 Ford...".

They say there is a demand for people selling used cars due to limited stock. The letter also says I would get "top dollar" for a trade-in to buy a new vehicle.

I've had my 2012 Focus for one year and adore it, but owe a bit of money on it. Getting a new car, with comparable features, would mean adding to the debt significantly - the only other option would be to get a Fiesta instead, but I prefer the Focus...

Has anyone gone through these buy-back programs? If so, what's your experience on them? Or what are your thoughts on this type of program?

Thanks!
It can't ever hurt to inquire, but to be honest, there's probably quite a gap between the amount you owe and how much your 2012 is worth, unless you put down a significant amount of money at the time of purchase. At this point of the loan, a good chunk of the money is going to interest, so the principal is not decreasing as rapidly as it will down the road.

People get shocked when they find out 1) How little the dealer wants to give them, combined with 2) How much they still owe (if they don't keep up with the balance).

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but don't get your hopes up, and don't go backwards in your loan just to go one year newer, unless you absolutely hate what you're driving.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
It can't ever hurt to inquire, but to be honest, there's probably quite a gap between the amount you owe and how much your 2012 is worth, unless you put down a significant amount of money at the time of purchase. At this point of the loan, a good chunk of the money is going to interest, so the principal is not decreasing as rapidly as it will down the road.

People get shocked when they find out 1) How little the dealer wants to give them, combined with 2) How much they still owe (if they don't keep up with the balance).

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but don't get your hopes up, and don't go backwards in your loan just to go one year newer, unless you absolutely hate what you're driving.
I was responsible, and had saved enough to put down a big enough deposit in order to secure financing, as I was a recent college graduate who needed a newer car but didn't want to take out another large loan if I could avoid it. So technically I wouldn't end up upside down, but unless I wanted to spend thousands and thousands more just to go to an ST after almost a year its just not worth it to me.

Now for the average person that's true, they may have been more concerned about $0 down and hitting a certain payment per month. I was more concerned about what I would still owe.

I couldn't have kept my old car going long enough to save enough to pay cash for the car just yet however.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->