I thought this car got good MPG?! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109191
Location: Elimsport, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I thought this car got good MPG?!

Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?


Njk570 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,648
FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cruise control can kill mileage when the road isn't straight and flat.

Also, winter gas will easily get you 2-3mpg less vs summer gas, sometimes it's even worse.

Also, the combined rating for your vehicle should be about 31 mpg. the 38 rating is for highway ONLY, and any city driving will bring that down considerably.

Also remember that EPA estimates are based off conditions most drivers never encounter. Driving above 60-65mph on the highway will start killing mileage as well, and taking too long to get up to speed can also negatively effect mileage in many cases.

In short, the EPA ratings are junk and should be used solely to compare different vehicles, and rarely represent actual mileage you will obtain.
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109191
Location: Elimsport, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Cruise control can kill mileage when the road isn't straight and flat.

Also, winter gas will easily get you 2-3mpg less vs summer gas, sometimes it's even worse.

Also, the combined rating for your vehicle should be about 31 mpg. the 38 rating is for highway ONLY, and any city driving will bring that down considerably.

Also remember that EPA estimates are based off conditions most drivers never encounter. Driving above 60-65mph on the highway will start killing mileage as well, and taking too long to get up to speed can also negatively effect mileage in many cases.

In short, the EPA ratings are junk and should be used solely to compare different vehicles, and rarely represent actual mileage you will obtain.
The highway is mostly flat, and i dont live in a city. Theres no red lights, just stop signs, that i never even stop at.. Not to mention i tested this driving 55mph. So i cant imagine driving 60-65 then.
Njk570 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,137
FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk570 View Post
Ok, so everything about the car is fantastic..BUT. I have not seen anywhere near the Average Rated MPG. I bought this Focus Used, its a 2012 Sedan Titanium, that came with just about 25000 miles. I drive this car everyday and the whole reason i bought this was because of the MPG, im averaging 27.8 mpg. about 75% highway and 25% rural road area. Call me crazy but i believe something is wrong here. I don't by any means drive like an insane person, i gradually gain speed and use cruise control a lot. I live in central Pennsylvania so the temp is low to mid 30s right now in the day time. I know gas mileage decreases in cold weather, but seriously....getting 10 less than the rate mpg is a little ridiculous. Anybody have any recommendations?
What was it getting last summer= warmer weather? Or did you just get it? I'd wait till you get some desent weather. Hows you air filter? At 30,000 I'd get your fuel injecters cleaned.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109191
Location: Elimsport, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
What was it getting last summer= warmer weather? Or did you just get it? I'd wait till you get some desent weather. Hows you air filter? At 30,000 I'd get your fuel injecters cleaned.
I just got it less than a month ago, and i havnt checked the air filter.And what do you recommend for changing the fuel injectors?
Njk570 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,137
FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njk570 View Post
I just got it less than a month ago, and i havnt checked the air filter.And what do you recommend for changing the fuel injectors?
Not to change the injectors. To clean them out= flush them. A shop will diconnect the fuel rail under the hood & hook up a injector cleaning machine to your fuel rail & then it'll be powered by your battery & then he'll unplug the enortha switch, so your car won't be pumping fuel out. It'll run for 15-20 minutes on the cleaning solution. Thats the best way to clean your injectors. You can get injector cleaner to add to your fuel tank when you fill up.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
dan50
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,152
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Not to change the injectors. To clean them out= flush them. A shop will diconnect the fuel rail under the hood & hook up a injector cleaning machine to your fuel rail & then it'll be powered by your battery & then he'll unplug the enortha switch, so your car won't be pumping fuel out. It'll run for 15-20 minutes on the cleaning solution. Thats the best way to clean your injectors. You can get injector cleaner to add to your fuel tank when you fill up.
Unless your car exhibits real driveability problems (in which case take it to the dealer), it's extremely unlikely you have a fuel injector problem. Injectors in a DI engine are a different breed - you really don't want the corner mechanic fiddling with them. Just use a major brand gasoline and leave them alone.

If you're wondering about mileage try this: find a nice level stretch of highway or interstate on a day that's no too windy, set the cruise control to 60 and reset the trip computer's mpg. After 4 or 5 miles you should be in the high 30s. If you are, your car is just fine.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109191
Location: Elimsport, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Not to change the injectors. To clean them out= flush them. A shop will diconnect the fuel rail under the hood & hook up a injector cleaning machine to your fuel rail & then it'll be powered by your battery & then he'll unplug the enortha switch, so your car won't be pumping fuel out. It'll run for 15-20 minutes on the cleaning solution. Thats the best way to clean your injectors. You can get injector cleaner to add to your fuel tank when you fill up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Unless your car exhibits real driveability problems (in which case take it to the dealer), it's extremely unlikely you have a fuel injector problem. Injectors in a DI engine are a different breed - you really don't want the corner mechanic fiddling with them. Just use a major brand gasoline and leave them alone.

If you're wondering about mileage try this: find a nice level stretch of highway or interstate on a day that's no too windy, set the cruise control to 60 and reset the trip computer's mpg. After 4 or 5 miles you should be in the high 30s. If you are, your car is just fine.
I didnt mean replace i meant clean. =0. And i know for a fact i dont have bad driving habits...i mean before this i had a ford fiesta and i was getting 43mpg, on the same route as i drive now. Which aims me to believe that there's really not something right going on here. Ive reset the average MPG on the highway, going 55mph and it stayed a consistent 28.3. And yeah, im not looking to get a prius or some kind of ecobox car, but i do expect there car to get close to the sticker mpgs....
Njk570 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #9
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,176
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cruise control isn't likely to be the problem and is usually better than your foot at controlling speed unless your in hilly country, particularly rolling hills.

The MK3 FF is good to great at mileage if you can cruise but if you are stuck in stop-and-go driving the mileage really drops off the table. I can drive a section of city roads with a speed limit of 35-40mph and get over 40mpg if, IF I can avoid traffic lights and stop-and-go, but if I hit the lights badly or the traffic is bad the mileage can drop down towards 20mpg -- OVER THE SAME STRETCH OF ROAD.


Brian
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Sonic Blue, Built 5/7/12, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV 3.0.2 -> 3.2.2 -> 3.5.1 -> 3.6.2
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
Njk570
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Fan#: 109191
Location: Elimsport, PA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 41
FF Reputation: 1 Njk570 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Cruise control isn't likely to be the problem and is usually better than your foot at controlling speed unless your in hilly country, particularly rolling hills.

The MK3 FF is good to great at mileage if you can cruise but if you are stuck in stop-and-go driving the mileage really drops off the table. I can drive a section of city roads with a speed limit of 35-40mph and get over 40mpg if, IF I can avoid traffic lights and stop-and-go, but if I hit the lights badly or the traffic is bad the mileage can drop down towards 20mpg -- OVER THE SAME STRETCH OF ROAD.


Brian
Theres not many hilly roads where im from. Mostly straight.
Njk570 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.