SVT Clutch replacement - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
Jmoorer5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88981
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow SVT w/JRSC

Points 628, Level 12
Points: 628, Level: 12 Points: 628, Level: 12 Points: 628, Level: 12
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Jmoorer5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
SVT Clutch replacement

I'm looking to replace my drivetrain set up, so i'm reaching out to my FF folks for suggestions. I currently have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with the OEM clutch. The chatter is rather loud but I like how fast the engine spool up, so don't want to lose that. A buddy of mine has a South bend set up and no chatter, but pricey.

Any luck with Clutch Master, Spec or Centerforce.

Thanks for then responses.

Last edited by Jmoorer5; 02-22-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Spelling on some words
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,664, Level 68
Points: 10,664, Level: 68 Points: 10,664, Level: 68 Points: 10,664, Level: 68
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoorer5 View Post
I'm looking to replace my drivetrain set up, so i'm reaching out to my FF folks for suggestions. I currently have a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with the OEM clutch. The chatter is rather loud but I like how fast the engine spool up, so don't want to lose that. A buddy of mine has a South bend set up and no chatter, but pricey.

Any luck with Clutch Master, Spec or Centerforce.

Thanks for then responses.
The aluminum flywheel is going to be noisey= chatter until you push in the clutch, just the way it is. Having a alloy flywheel, why would you run the oem clutch?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Jmoorer5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88981
What I Drive: 2003 Screaming Yellow SVT w/JRSC

Points 628, Level 12
Points: 628, Level: 12 Points: 628, Level: 12 Points: 628, Level: 12
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Jmoorer5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I had a new one from my last car that was never installed, since the guy I bought my car from didn't know if the previous owner replaced it, I want to do it before it went out. When I had the same setup on my 2003 NA,car,it wasn't as loud.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

Points 867, Level 15
Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
I love my Spec Stage 2! I've just about run through my second spec Stage 2.

Mine is slipping in 6th gear when freezing cold. It's fine when warmed up, but the parking lot at work to the highway has only 1 stop light and that's it, so it's easy for me to get to the highway still "cold clutch". I go easy on it when cold and it's fine.

I'm going to order a new Spec Clutch & flywheel in the next week or so. Sadly my last clutch was back before the flywheel change, so where as last time I simply got a Spec Stg2 & flywheel friction plate, this time I need a new clutch and flywheel.

My stock clutch/flywheel failed at 45k miles (damn Ford), replaced it with a Spec Stage 2 & Al flywheel, because at the time OEM parts were a 6-8 week back order and it was my only car at the time.

That Stg2 clutch lasted for 70k miles (lots of downtown DC traffic on a kevlar clutch, I didn't expect OEM clutch life).

Replaced with another Spec Stg 2 & flywheel friction pack, this one is now starting to slip in 6th when cold, so I know I'm in for a clutch job soon. Trying to baby the clutch till it warms up a tad and I can start daily driving the Miata while doing a clutch job on the SVTF (MD loves to dump tons of salt on the road, I like to avoid taking a black cloth top out in the winter!)

This current Spec Stg2 clutch has only been on for 60k miles. Though admittedly, I have started using my SVTF as a tow vehicle. So I suspect I've lost 10k miles in clutch life over the previous clutch due to towing bikes.

I'll be looking into a stage 1 organic, since I tow but with the Al flywheel. Crapily due to the post TSB flywheel change I now need to buy another new Al flywheel, instead of a $79 friction pack like last time!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Points 867, Level 15
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
A quick note on chatter, who cares about noise when the engine revs soo much better with a 12lb Al flywheel??
Old 02-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,664, Level 68
Points: 10,664, Level: 68 Points: 10,664, Level: 68 Points: 10,664, Level: 68
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apagios View Post
A quick note on chatter, who cares about noise when the engine revs soo much better with a 12lb Al flywheel??
Just saying, as some people bitch 'bout it.Read some of the forums & posts when people start asking 'bout NVH issues. My car has some vibes at idle= bsd,cams,dogbone & soon poly motor & trans mounts.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,515, Level 57
Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I didnt think id care about the chatter, but honestly, it can ware on you.. especially in traffic or when you take a date out to dinner.

Its not cool when you have to explain that "no my car isnt broken, its just a lightweight flywheel with a stage 3 clutch, so it makes that sound. See? sound just went away because i pushed my clutch in."

For a daily driver, unless you need it to hold the power, there's really no reason to have a leightweight fly/stage clutch.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 03-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Points 867, Level 15
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Felix, very good point, I didn't intend to discount your point, mainly meant my comment as a bit of a joke on all the complaining about chatter I hear.

Viper, I think the chatter things is obviously a personal choice, I have no problem explaining chatter and that it's normal. My Ducati's have dry multiplate clutches, and always chatter, so I personally think it's quite normal and have no problems explaining the chatter if someone asks.

I will partially disagree with you, I agree having a higher stage clutch then you need is excessive for a daily driver. But I LOVE my 12lb Al flywheel for daily driving. My SVTF revs faster and it changes the character of the car for me. I'm at 172k miles and putting in a new clutch this weekend, mainly because I love how it drives so much I don't want to trade it in on a new ST yet. If I went back to stock 24.5 lb flywheel, I would not be as in love with my car.

I think a stage 1 clutch with Al flywheel is perfect for a daily driver, IF you are not the type of person to get annoyed at the chatter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.