Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
offroad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110140
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE Hatch, 201A, 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 offroad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looking at a 2013 SE 5spd - Talk me into a Powershift

Looking seriously at 2013 SE Hatchbacks
So far we have only driven a couple of 5spd manual transmission cars.

I had sort of discounted the Powershift 6spd auto versions based on what Car and Driver said about the 2012 SE they tested.
The complaints I've seen relate mostly to the transmission frequently being in the wrong gear for the conditions.
The only negative I can see to the 5spd is that at 75 or 80mph the engine is turning a bit faster than I expected. (Too bad its not a 6spd).

Is the Powershift 6spd reliable and how long has Ford been using this type of transmission?
How do you like yours and the gear change decisions it makes?
It also sounds like creeping up to something slowly is a bit different, can someone describe how it compares to an auto with a torque converter?

What type of life is expected from the dual clutches compared to a standard clutch in a 5spd?
Is the 6spd Powershift geared a bit higher in top gear than the 5spd?
I know your supposed to get another 1-2 mpg but what is acceleration like?

Any advice and information is appreciated.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
If you enjoy driving manual, get the 5speed.

I will admit I have the DCT and I have not had any major issues, but there are tons of people who have major problems with it.

One of the biggest being leaking seals, which require the clutches to be replaced, along with hard shuddering and grinding noises.

The only "issue" I have, which ford says is normal, is light shuddering when accelerating from a stop or creeping slowly in traffic.

Other people have reported their DCT's overheating with the car telling them via warning message to pull over and let the car sit for a few minutes.

You would seriously be an idiot if you decide to go with the DCT if you read these forums thoroughly.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
offroad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 110140
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE Hatch, 201A, 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 offroad Good Standing Member
Thanks for the honesty, we do enjoy driving a manual.
Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be sorry I didn't consider the DCT, sounds like we should continue on with a 5spd.

Also have a post here about the deals we have been offered, comments appreciated.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad View Post
Thanks for the honesty, we do enjoy driving a manual.
Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be sorry I didn't consider the DCT, sounds like we should continue on with a 5spd.

Also have a post here about the deals we have been offered, comments appreciated.
Hi offroad,

If you haven't already, I recommend giving our Marketing Program Headquarters a call at 1-800-334-4375. They can fill you in on all of the available incentives in your area.

If you end up ordering a Focus, send me a PM with your order number/dealer name. I can provide you with weekly updates on the status of your Focus as it makes its way from your order to the plant to delivery at the dealership.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I will admit I have the DCT and I have not had any major issues, but there are tons of people who have major problems with it.

One of the biggest being leaking seals, which require the clutches to be replaced, along with hard shuddering and grinding noises.

The only "issue" I have, which ford says is normal, is light shuddering when accelerating from a stop or creeping slowly in traffic.

Other people have reported their DCT's overheating with the car telling them via warning message to pull over and let the car sit for a few minutes.

You would seriously be an idiot if you decide to go with the DCT if you read these forums thoroughly.
You would think that Ford knows about the problem with the seal and replaced it (with a better one) a long time ago.

If not, you would seriously be an idiot to consider any Focus.

By the same token one could argue that you would seriously be an idiot to buy a Mustang GT with the (MT82) manual transmission.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
You would think that Ford knows about the problem with the seal and replaced it (with a better one) a long time ago.

If not, you would seriously be an idiot to consider any Focus.

By the same token one could argue that you would seriously be an idiot to buy a Mustang GT with the (MT82) manual transmission.
Something wrong with the manual in a mustang?
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Apparently MT82s were breaking like crazy.

BUT the investigations went nowhere because the very same transmission was also sitting in the Boss 302 and people were not complaining about that.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
thejordan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107706
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Focus 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 thejordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Apparently MT82s were breaking like crazy.

BUT the investigations went nowhere because the very same transmission was also sitting in the Boss 302 and people were not complaining about that.
They were made in China for 1-2 years, Ford has since switched manufacturing to Germany (where all the other transmissions are made).
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Google 'MT82' and you can get a good idea. This was a big issue.

Because many people were having problems with their 2011 Mustang GT (with the MT82 6 speed manual), does that mean that you should never buy a Mustang with a MT82? I hope not.

My point was that it would be incredibly stupid on the part of Ford not to recognize and correct recurring mechanical issues (as this cost them big $$$ in warranty repairs not to mention the damage to their reputation).

We know that a leaking seal was the cause of many of the issues with the DCT. Has Ford improved that part from the earlier production cars? Of course they have.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Google 'MT82' and you can get a good idea. This was a big issue.

Because many people were having problems with their 2011 Mustang GT (with the MT82 6 speed manual), does that mean that you should never buy a Mustang with a MT82? I hope not.

My point was that it would be incredibly stupid on the part of Ford not to recognize and correct recurring mechanical issues (as this cost them big $$$ in warranty repairs not to mention the damage to their reputation).

We know that a leaking seal was the cause of many of the issues with the DCT. Has Ford improved that part from the earlier production cars? Of course they have.
I wouldn't get an auto mustang even if.. (please Ford don't screw up the new mustang)....
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.

Bookmarks & Social Networks