Rear doors not unlocking - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
5characters
No Mo Fo Fo

Fan#: 78897
What I Drive: 2012 M2 Touring

FF Reputation: 2 5characters Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear doors not unlocking

So for whatever reason my rear doors wonít always unlock. I will hit the unlock button from both front doors and they will unlock but not the rear. I have taken it to the Ford guys and they donít have a problem with it, I have looked for the interior fuse box but could not find it. The book said by the brake, well we I started pulling panels out I couldnít find it. I was thinking maybe a fuse popped or something like that.
  1. Where is the interior fuse panel?
  2. What could be the problem here?
  3. If it is a fuse can I just swap em out?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

Points 2,700, Level 31
Points: 2,700, Level: 31 Points: 2,700, Level: 31 Points: 2,700, Level: 31
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Do you hear the actuators going off? Its possible you have two bad door lock actuators
Still here!
Old 02-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
5characters
No Mo Fo Fo

Fan#: 78897
What I Drive: 2012 M2 Touring

FF Reputation: 2 5characters Good Standing Member
Nope I don't hear anything, they just seem dead, even if I pull on the portion that sticks up they don't budge.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
trevor_shiggs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 67337
What I Drive: 2009 Black SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 2 trevor_shiggs Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5characters View Post
Nope I don't hear anything, they just seem dead, even if I pull on the portion that sticks up they don't budge.
Printable View (3312 KB)
TSB
09-23-4 REAR DOOR LOCK INOPERATIVE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 10/15/2009

Publication Date: November 9, 2009

FORD: 2009-2010 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 9-21-1 to update the production build date and vehicle model years covered.

ISSUE:
Some 2009-2010 Focus vehicles built on or before 10/15/2009 may exhibit a rear door that does not lock or unlock when using the power lock control switch, remote keyless entry (RKE) transmitter, or manually activating the door lock. This may be due to the upper interior door lock rod interfering with the interior door panel grommet.

ACTION:
Follow the service procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

No tools are required to perform step one.

Turn the door lock rod soldier by hand two (2) complete rotations in a clockwise direction to slightly lower the soldier in the door panel grommet. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 09-23-4

In a circular motion, wiggle the lock rod in the grommet to slightly enlarge the inner diameter of the lock rod grommet.
Using the power switch or RKE transmitter, electronically actuate the locks. Does the affected door lock now work properly?
Yes - Repair is complete. Do not continue with this procedure.
No - Continue to Step 4.
Remove the interior door panel of the affected side. Reference Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05 for removal and installation procedures.
Using the power switch or RKE transmitter, electronically actuate the locks. Does the affected door lock now work properly with the interior door panel removed?
No - Stop with this procedure. Reference WSM, Section 501-14 for additional diagnostics.
Yes - Proceed to Step 6.
Straighten the vertical door lock rod using pliers or other suitable tool to reduce or eliminate the interference between the lock rod and the door panel grommet.
Verify door lock rod bell crank is properly inserted and positioned on the door. Reference WSM, Section 501-14 for additional information.
Install door panel per WSM, Section 501-05, and verify proper operation.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Blackcat
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104462
What I Drive: 2009 Focus SEL

Points 40, Level 1
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Blackcat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor_shiggs View Post
No - Continue to Step 4.
Remove the interior door panel of the affected side. Reference Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-05 for removal and installation procedures.
But the door doesn't open. How do I remove the door panel when I can't get the door open?

Experimenting on the other side tells me I can't get the door panel off that either because I'm not smart enough.

Update: There's a T-30 Torx screw behind the cover behind the door handle.

Update 2: There are two T-30 Torx screws behind the cover on the part you pull to shut the door.

and the door panel is still firmly attached to the car

How is it there no how-to anywhere on this forum? If there is I can't find it.

Last edited by Blackcat; 04-18-2014 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,903, Level 33
Points: 2,903, Level: 33 Points: 2,903, Level: 33 Points: 2,903, Level: 33
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
But the door doesn't open. How do I remove the door panel when I can't get the door open?

Experimenting on the other side tells me I can't get the door panel off that either because I'm not smart enough.

Update: There's a T-30 Torx screw behind the cover behind the door handle.

Update 2: There are two T-30 Torx screws behind the cover on the part you pull to shut the door.

and the door panel is still firmly attached to the car

How is it there no how-to anywhere on this forum? If there is I can't find it.
Let's see if I remember how to remove the door panel. I just replaced all four door speakers.

Pull off the black plastic triangle above the door panel, I think there is a screw behind that, or at least you need it off to pull off the panel. There are Torx bolts behind the door grab handle and behind the door opening handle. Pop up the window switch and disconnect. Unscrew the door lock from the rod. There is a small Philip's head screw on the side of the door panel, I can't remember if there are any underneath. Use an interior trim panel removal tool and start prying the panel off at the bottom and work up both sides. You should hear the push-pins pop out.

When re-installing the door panel, make sure the 90 degree bend at the very top of the door panel goes back in the window channel, while making sure the lock rod goes into the hole and the window switch connector gets fished back up through the hole...at the same time. I had a hell of a time getting a panel back on because I didn't realize that wasn't happening correctly.

I also had a problem with my rear door locks not working. Nobody ever rides in the back, except one a few rare occasions. I'm pretty sure the doors are supposed to unlock when I open the driver's side door, but they didn't unlock. It was almost like the child safety lock was on, but I checked it and it was off. I haven't had any problems lately, though.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
vipalaska
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 190921
What I Drive: 2010 Blue Focus S

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 vipalaska Good Standing Member
I have a 2010 4-Door with a similar problem, however both rear doors are locked and cannot be opened from either inside or outside. The odd part is that the door lock rod is up in the unlock position, yet I can't pull/push it up or down? Any ideas short of removing the door panel? Can you do this with the door closed and locked?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
Blackcat
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104462
What I Drive: 2009 Focus SEL

Points 40, Level 1
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Blackcat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipalaska View Post
I have a 2010 4-Door with a similar problem, however both rear doors are locked and cannot be opened from either inside or outside. The odd part is that the door lock rod is up in the unlock position, yet I can't pull/push it up or down? Any ideas short of removing the door panel? Can you do this with the door closed and locked?
You can remove the door panel with the door shut with patience. I did it on the passenger side back in April. I hope my pictures can help you.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
vipalaska
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 190921
What I Drive: 2010 Blue Focus S

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 vipalaska Good Standing Member
Intermittent Door Locking Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
You can remove the door panel with the door shut with patience. I did it on the passenger side back in April. I hope my pictures can help you.
Without thinking, I tried the driver's side locked rear passenger door from the outside and it opened. Not sure why it started working, but at least I know that it is not the actuator. So I will continue to trouble shoot this door to see if I can make it do it again. The passenger rear door is not so lucky. It is still locked and I cannot open it from inside or outside. I read one thread from an avionics mechanic who said that he applied 12 volts to one of the wires in the door frame that caused the door to unlock. Anyone know the color of this wire? I am thinking that this might be a power or ground issue.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,142, Level 34
Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34 Points: 3,142, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipalaska View Post
Have you been to your dealer to have this looked at? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks