Two unusual problems - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Scott U
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109165
What I Drive: 2013, Ingot Silver Metallic, SE

Points 29, Level 1
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Scott U Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Two unusual problems

Has any else experienced this?
The heater does not direct enough warm/hot air to the driver side floor.Even though the heater control points toward having all air directed toward the floor, it seems to still be sending air towards the windshield in the same way as it does for the “mix” position between the full floor and the full windshield.

For some reason the dome light fails to come on when the passenger front door is opened but this occurs only when the key is in the ignition and car is running. The light comes on for the other 3 doors under that condition. All of the doors activate the light before the key is put into the ignition.

The car is a little over two weeks old, runs wery well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott U View Post
The heater does not direct enough warm/hot air to the driver side floor.Even though the heater control points toward having all air directed toward the floor, it seems to still be sending air towards the windshield in the same way as it does for the “mix” position between the full floor and the full windshield.
Mine does this as well. I assumed it was to prevent the windshield from fogging up - I like my feet warm, but my face cold and so it bothers me that it still heats the windshield when I have it on *feet only*

Quote:
For some reason the dome light fails to come on when the passenger front door is opened but this occurs only when the key is in the ignition and car is running. The light comes on for the other 3 doors under that condition. All of the doors activate the light before the key is put into the ignition.
Never noticed or never tried.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
ibinubu12
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92300
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Hatchback, Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 2 ibinubu12 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Has any else experienced this?
Ford does this deliberately. For floor mode, they may ask for 90% of the air go to the floor, the balance to the defrost registers. This is to prevent fogging of the windshield, as floor, mix, and defrost are generally considered to be "heating" modes.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibinubu12 View Post
Ford does this deliberately. For floor mode, they may ask for 90% of the air go to the floor, the balance to the defrost registers. This is to prevent fogging of the windshield, as floor, mix, and defrost are generally considered to be "heating" modes.
It's really annoying when systems are engineered like this... If i want heat to my feet i'll direct the heat that way.... if my windshield is fogging up, i'll put on the defrost/defoger. It's not so complicated (ford, et al). We don't need the HVAC system to think for us... we are perfectly capable of working the HVAC on our own and deciding what needs doing when.
Frankly, once the car is warmed up reasonable well, usually w/in a few minutes, i've rarely had the windows fog/frost up, except in extremely cold weather (temps hovering either side of zero F).
The next time i purchase a vehicle i will go for one w/o auto wipers, auto lights, and auto HVAC.... I much prefer to the driving and associated tasks by myself.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
The next time i purchase a vehicle i will go for one w/o auto wipers, auto lights, and auto HVAC.... I much prefer to the driving and associated tasks by myself.
Me too - if those aren't already standard features by 2020. (I'm hoping this car will last me a while...)
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,141, Level 40
Points: 4,141, Level: 40 Points: 4,141, Level: 40 Points: 4,141, Level: 40
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
I actually like the auto features most of the time...

The auto AC is particularly nice in my view and I've used auto lights for years now beginning with the 2004 Toyota Matrix XR I traded in when I got my 2012 FF. The auto wipers is less of a big deal but I can't say it's a problem either.

Brian
Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Scott U
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109165
What I Drive: 2013, Ingot Silver Metallic, SE

Points 29, Level 1
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Scott U Good Standing Member
Heater

Just to clarify, I have a 2007 mustang, when the dial is pointed toward the floor position very little air goes toward the windshield, most goes to the floor. There is no difference between the mix position and the floor position in the Focus at all.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Points 1,354, Level 20
Points: 1,354, Level: 20 Points: 1,354, Level: 20 Points: 1,354, Level: 20
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I believe you can turn those features off.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Points 16,915, Level 83
Points: 16,915, Level: 83 Points: 16,915, Level: 83 Points: 16,915, Level: 83
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
silly question, but have you tried pushing the lamp button when the door is open and then close and open the door to see if it works after?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.