Exhaust - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Exhaust

Has anyone cut the resonator out and if so how does it sound with out it, and what's all the hype with installing a oil catch can? Deff one that cost 180 like the jbr one

Old 02-13-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There are some Videos on youtube of resonator deleted ST's, sounds pretty good to me.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
taheem21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103735
What I Drive: 2011 Cool Grey Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 taheem21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I took one of the resonators off my car the other week. NOT THE MUFFLER [lunch box delete] which people have been confusing with the resonators, makes the car sound more like a rally car but dont do it [unless thats what your looking for] . Took out the resonator right behind the muffler and it sounds AWESOME not saying to go ahead and do it but you can deff hear a sound difference. Sounds more sporty when you start the car and/or rev and is still somewhat quite when at stand still and thats what i was looking for.. 2011 Focus SES
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taheem21 View Post
I took one of the resonators off my car the other week. NOT THE MUFFLER [lunch box delete] which people have been confusing with the resonators, makes the car sound more like a rally car but dont do it [unless thats what your looking for] . Took out the resonator right behind the muffler and it sounds AWESOME not saying to go ahead and do it but you can deff hear a sound difference. Sounds more sporty when you start the car and/or rev and is still somewhat quite when at stand still and thats what i was looking for.. 2011 Focus SES
You've got a good point, but it's a bit different on a turbo car. The turbo and cat do a good deal of the exhaust muffling.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
taheem21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103735
What I Drive: 2011 Cool Grey Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 taheem21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
You've got a good point, but it's a bit different on a turbo car. The turbo and cat do a good deal of the exhaust muffling.
Yea your right about that. I was thinking about it and wondered why do some people take the muffler off?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Probably going to cut the trick off then instead of buying a new exhaust, any thoughts on the catch can thing?
Old 02-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Eh, I haven't seen any long term reviews to have much of an opinion on it for the focus specifically. But it will probably be one of the first mods on mine when I get it. Even on the NA focus there was a good bit of oil residue in my intake, the increased crankcase pressure on the ST can only make that worse. Plus direct injection engines have enough of an issue with buildup on the valves, might as well install something that can help reduce that even a little bit! Just my opinion though.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Eh, I haven't seen any long term reviews to have much of an opinion on it for the focus specifically. But it will probably be one of the first mods on mine when I get it. Even on the NA focus there was a good bit of oil residue in my intake, the increased crankcase pressure on the ST can only make that worse. Plus direct injection engines have enough of an issue with buildup on the valves, might as well install something that can help reduce that even a little bit! Just my opinion though.
Env laws, so car makers dont let that oil discharge to the ground. Oil dumped into the intake will go into the turbo, causing damage in the long run. in my old car it was so bad it would soak the turbo wheel in oil, creating fluttering. the breather on the cold side would direct the oil into the intercooler creating a big mess as well. it would also reach the bov, tb and int mani. When the bov vented you would see oil splattered all over the hood

I ended up using a catch can on the cold side = one line to the pcv one to the valve case and putting a mini filter on the hot side vent, it would eventually leak a bit to the ground. So i would have to clean the oil soaked filter every 2-3 days
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Deff going to look into a catch can just not one that's 200 bones
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
Has anyone cut the resonator out and if so how does it sound with out it, and what's all the hype with installing a oil catch can? Deff one that cost 180 like the jbr one
Google why u need a cc on a turbo car then maybe ull understand. Also, you dont need a brand name $200 one. Its a new car so companies are making new stuff for this car= $$$. I used to have a turbo car and installed an ebay $20 one, worked perfect and got the job done.

As for the res = youtube

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->