Can rain sensing wipers be turned off? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
2k2wranglerx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96554
What I Drive: 2013 ST

FF Reputation: 1 2k2wranglerx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can rain sensing wipers be turned off?

I hate them. I've had them on other cars and loved them. But they just do not work on my focus. They're spastic and when you need them they shut off!

Is there a way to make them normal wipers again? When I put the selector in the "normal" range they still act as rain sensing. Augh!

Old 02-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Really?

When the stalk is all the way down, your rain sensing wipers will stay OFF. One click up on the stalk, activates the rain sensing wipers, any further clicks up on the stalk put your wipers to manual, ie: constant speed, the more clicks up the faster they go - like on every car.

You may also want to adjust the sensitivity of the wipers by turning the wheel/knob at the end of the stalk, that may make your rain sensing wipers work better.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
2k2wranglerx
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Really?

When the stalk is all the way down, your rain sensing wipers will stay OFF. One click up on the stalk, activates the rain sensing wipers, any further clicks up on the stalk put your wipers to manual, ie: constant speed, the more clicks up the faster they go - like on every car.

You may also want to adjust the sensitivity of the wipers by turning the wheel/knob at the end of the stalk, that may make your rain sensing wipers work better.
my high and low constant on settings work fine. But at the first click up (the stalk) that puts it into "inter" mode pretty much means it'll be in rain sensing all the time.

From there you have the adjustable dial on the stalk. It doesn't matter what position i put that in, it's in rain sensing. even right in the middle, it'll be working fine and then the wipers will just go down (like i turned them off) until i either turn them off and on again, or adjust the dial again.

it's the most frustrating thing ever.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
2k2wranglerx
Focus Enthusiast

so I thought it was supposed to be rain sensing in those 2 upper arrow areas...

but it doesn't seem to matter. they will shut off and act like rain sensing wipers in the range below those arrows as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
2k2wranglerx
Focus Enthusiast

So basically anywhere I set that dial it acts like rain sensing.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
my high and low constant on settings work fine. But at the first click up (the stalk) that puts it into "inter" mode pretty much means it'll be in rain sensing all the time.

From there you have the adjustable dial on the stalk. It doesn't matter what position i put that in, it's in rain sensing. even right in the middle, it'll be working fine and then the wipers will just go down (like i turned them off) until i either turn them off and on again, or adjust the dial again.

it's the most frustrating thing ever.
I agree. .really annoying, they are... not engineered well at all.. I use rain-x so that at hwy speeds i don't need the wipers.. at other times i just use the 'swipe' whenever i need it....
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I have the feature. but never use it. If it is raining hard enough to have the wiper on.. I turn it on. Otherwise I leave them off.
I too use Rain X and find I hardly ever really need the wipers unless it is pouring. (or to clean off the screen with a wash)
I hate wipers doing there own thing, and have never had a problem with the auto wipers.
I just control the wipers myself.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
I have the feature. but never use it. If it is raining hard enough to have the wiper on.. I turn it on. Otherwise I leave them off.
I too use Rain X and find I hardly ever really need the wipers unless it is pouring. (or to clean off the screen with a wash)
I hate wipers doing there own thing, and have never had a problem with the auto wipers.
I just control the wipers myself.
i know,, right? i agree w/ u... i mean you're sitting right there.. how much effort is it to turn on ur lights, ur wipers, or dim ur mirror by hand? talk about lazy! And people complain how technology in cars is ruining the driving experience distancing the driver from the mechanics of the car......
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
I am confused...

The only way to "turn them off" is to push the stalk down to its last position before it goes to the window washer fluid.

One click up from this last position is the rain sensing wipers. Turning the dial adjusts their sensitivity, it does not turn them off - the click of the stalk below this setting like I just described is OFF.

So what you need to do is always keep it OFF and then when you want to use the wipers, you have to move the stalk up at least 2 clicks to bypass the rain sensing wiper selection, and go to the low & high settings.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
2k2wranglerx
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah mine are:

High
Low
Rain sense
Off
Mist

Is there a way to change the rain sense to regular intermittent since the rain sense sucks so bad. I can have it at any position in rain sense and they always shut off.

Bookmarks & Social Networks