dead car - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
dead car

so i left my lights on when i got back from work 3 nights ago. had to worok the next night, noticed the car was dead seeing i left my lights on. i called work and said i'm not coming in, dead car plus it was super slow today anyway with over staffed. didn't bother to jump it then, waited til the next day to jump it before work. hooked it up to the cars, my car starts immediately. i'm pleased, as soon as i take a jumper cable off, car shuts off. i was like wtf??? this can't be happening. did it again a few more times.
anyone know what it could be? my alternator is only 4 months old and never got wet or anything, my battery is about 4 years old. i know the car should have stayed running if the alternator was going...??
and it shouldh ave started to charge the battery but it didn't.
help??

also i noticed my car revv'ed and sounded better from the exhaust when getting jumped....what about that? that confused me.
i have an SVT 2002

#586 of #4788
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
HilloNative
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43548
What I Drive: '04 EAP Sonic Blue SVT, '04 Ranger

FF Reputation: 4 HilloNative Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
You need a new battery.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

alright thats what i was thinking since there was no cranking when trying to start. i ended up leaving the jumper cables on today for 10 minutes letting it charge a little. ended up being able to take the cables off and my car still was running suprisingly. i was able to change parking lots before it died again trying to back it up. i don't know what that means? is that my alternator aswell then??? because i just put a new remanufactured one in 4 months ago.

#586 of #4788
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Squareleft
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33224
What I Drive: 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Squareleft Good Standing Member
Do you have an aftermarket alternator? its very common for an aftermarket or an aftermarket reman to go bad instantly. they are notorious for that.
If it is an alternator your (battery light/charging system)will be on indicating that there is a foul in the charging system.
A bad cell in your battery can cause this issue. Bad cells in batteries wreak havoc on electrical systems.
Also check for a scale type build up between your terminal end and battery post. ive only seen this on a focus and never on any other car. it was on mine and my car would shut off when i was driving. it was like a brownish clear color that was extremely hard. it wasnt corrosion.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

my battery terminals seem pretty clear, i've made sure to keep them clean because i had an issue before with just that being the problem. it is an aftermarket reman, its a genco alternator. i will probably end up replacing both this time, just to hopefully get rid of the problem.

#586 of #4788
Old 02-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
spayne13
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81196
What I Drive: Silver 2005 ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 spayne13 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I would start with a new battery first. Last summer, I took my in-laws RAV4 to Washington DC. I got to the hotel, the valet took the keys and I got a call once in my room stating that the car would not start. I went down and was able to jump it, but it doed after jumping (and the alternator light had not been on). New battery solved the problem.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->