Hoping to buy a 2012 SE this weekend, any advice? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
SCaliber
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109205
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SCaliber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hoping to buy a 2012 SE this weekend, any advice?

Hello all,

This is my first time here, but I've been stalking a whole lot. I've really come to love the new Focus, and I have my heart set on a 2012 SE with the sports package. I've had my eyes peeled online for dealers selling it in black with a 5spd (which would be my first 5sp too). The only thing that troubles me with this car is that it's got 40,000 miles.

Any advice when I stroll on the lot this weekend?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Moved to : MK3 Chat, you will get more responses here.

Since your looking at a 5spd there really isnt too much to be looking at. Look at like like a normal used car. take it for an extended test drive if possible and listen for possible rattles and squeaks. The 5spd is tried and true. and should be nice and smooth even with 40k on the clock.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Seondave
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 109095
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Seondave Good Standing Member
I just picked up a 2012 Focus SE Hatchback, Sterling Grey, Automatic. It has 34k miles on it. I was a little concerned at the higher mileage for a car around 2 years old, but after the test drive, I was satisfied. I kind of wish I had held out for a manual, but I had a time limit on purchasing a "new" car. Other than that, like SkyPilot said, just look for the usual suspects and don't let them talk you into anything you're unsure about.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
roderunner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108779
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE stick

FF Reputation: 1 roderunner Good Standing Member
It looks like the 2012 carries a factory 5 yr, 60,000 mi. warranty. If so, it will give you piece of mind. I'm sure it's easily transferable.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/...ocus/warranty/

Check around for the new '13's also, depending on what your price is on the '12. It should be possible to snag a '13 SE manual sedan for about15K or less after incentives (depending on location and dealership) and they have more standard equipment, maybe better (new car) financing. Follow up on the loss leader ads, look up dealer inventory on line. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
focusstu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus S 5MT

FF Reputation: 2 focusstu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I live in NC and I check Autotrader every day. There are several used manual Foci in the Virginia, DC, Maryland area. The ads don't say anything about the Sport package, but the alloy wheels in the pictures will tip you off that it is likely that they are Sport packages.

I have seen cars like this with 20-30k that are advertised for under $16k. I wouldn't pay more than what Edmunds or KBB says the car is worth.

If you can get one with less than 36K you can buy a Ford ESP plan that adds up to 4 more years of bumper to bumper warrant for $400-600. You can get them online at a pretty good discount to list price. I got mine for my Taurus at Flood Ford.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
It being a 5 speed is a good start.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
focusstu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus S 5MT

FF Reputation: 2 focusstu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaiden View Post
It being a 5 speed is a good start.
I agree, although on Autotrader a lot of ads that say manual are actually automatics, and some ads where they don't state which transmission is used can be manuals. With Autotrader I have found that the best way to tell that the car is a manual is to look at the pictures. A lot of dealers don't seem to know anything about the used cars they sell.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
teamDFL
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 92060
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3, 2012 SE Sport Hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 teamDFL Good Standing Member
Sport package cars have the two-tone seats, AFAIK. Manual transmission cars have three pedals. Autotrader pictures should show you both of these so you don't waste your time. Don't buy a car that was owned anywhere near the area impacted by Sandy. Even if it has a clean title, it is not worth the risk. You will have no end of trouble from water damage.
Rally Revolution #21
Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
rickdarris2004
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108926
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 6 Touring

FF Reputation: 1 rickdarris2004 Good Standing Member
I just picked up a new 2013 with a 5sp, original sticker was $20,500, it was marked down to $16350 with incentives. Only had to finance around $14k after trade. They have some good deals running on the Focus right now. They had some Titanium sedans on the lot hovering at $19k.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
SCaliber
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109205
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SCaliber Good Standing Member
Actually, the one I'm looking at is in the DC area. The dealer said it was a Sports Package, and the pics show it does have a manual along with all the goodies the packages cover. The Carfax says it's clean, so I guess it wasn't flood damaged. I wouldn't mind spending $16k on a new one though, for the peace of mind. I would really like to have the suspension upgrade and read disk brakes though. I can add on fancy wheels and body stuff myself. Would the SEL be similarly equipped? I think I may also like the seats more on a SEL, because I'm kinda broad.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->