MPG with All City Driving - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MPG with All City Driving

Hi All,

I was wondering what everyone is getting in terms of mileage with nearly > 95% city driving. I'm averaging approx. 24.5 MPG.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Sounds about right for me too. Sometimes LESS.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
The MK3 FF gets great highway mpg but average or less city mpg. If mileage is important and you do a lot of city driving a hybrid is hard to beat. Under the same conditions the FF is getting 24mpg and good hybrid could get double that...

Brian
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Yeah I've seen folks on here complianing about less mileage than that. I think all these compact cars now are tuned to maximize mileage for suburban / highway driving at the expense of true city or fast highway driving. And the Focus is no different than the rest. Just look at these reported mpg's in Motor Trends July '11 8-car comparo:

Civic: 29.4
Focus: 27.9
Mazda3: 27.8
Corolla: 27.6
Elantra: 25.7
Forte: 23.9
Cruze: 23.8

Jetta TDI: 32.3 (not a fair comparison)

Very good performance from the Focus, and that was with the Ti handling package!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Yeah I've seen folks on here complianing about less mileage than that. I think all these compact cars now are tuned to maximize mileage for suburban / highway driving at the expense of true city or fast highway driving. And the Focus is no different than the rest. Just look at these reported mpg's in Motor Trends July '11 8-car comparo:

Civic: 29.4
Focus: 27.9
Mazda3: 27.8
Corolla: 27.6
Elantra: 25.7
Forte: 23.9
Cruze: 23.8

Jetta TDI: 32.3 (not a fair comparison)

Very good performance from the Focus, and that was with the Ti handling package!
i see in ur post that the civic mpg for city is 29.4... i have an '07 civic and i never get that city driving... it pretty much mirrors what my focus gets which varies, depending on conditions and temperatures anywhere from 22 to 27mpg.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i see in ur post that the civic mpg for city is 29.4... i have an '07 civic and i never get that city driving... it pretty much mirrors what my focus gets which varies, depending on conditions and temperatures anywhere from 22 to 27mpg.
Don't doubt it. Though that was a '12 Civic in the comparo so it would be expected to get a little more, maybe. And of course mileage will vary. I'm guessing the numbers reported by MT were from a mix of driving the pad and the twisties. But the important takeaway is the relative performance of the cars with the same driving.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
spiderpig
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107025
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 spiderpig Good Standing Member
So I reset the TRIP 1 settings everytime I fill up and I always fill it up all the way. At next fill up I take the miles traveled and divide by the gallons I just put in the car. I filled up yesterday after not having any highway driving at all and got to 22 mpg.

Normally if I have city and highway driving I average more around 30. Since these numbers seemed low to me I figured since I just got the car in december - maybe I need to adjust my driving habits. Since my last car was a 2004 Toyota Echo I started to realize that I push down on the accelator a little fast. In my old car that's what it took to get her moving...but in the focus it just seems to waste more fuel.

So after the fillup yesterday I decided to ease up on the acceleration and try to retrain my foot for the focus. Keeping an eye on the avg mpg I've traveled about 100 miles since yesterday in city conditions and kept it between 27-28 mpg. I've been working on better acceleration and maintaining a speed vs constantly changing. So we'll see how that improves my mpg.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
With my 2012 it is all about stoplights. Lots of stoplights and gas mileage sucks. Few to no stoplights and gas mileage in in the low 30's for city driving.
The gas you waste at a stoplight and the resultant acceleration would have carried you four blocks if you did not have to stop.
That is a huge difference.
I stay away from places with endless stoplights.. stop signs.
And I stay out of rush hour traffic. I get 32 plus Winter mpgs.
I suppose if you have to drive rush hour, and lots of stoplights,, you are out of luck on MPGs.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
kam327
-----<M>-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
So I reset the TRIP 1 settings everytime I fill up and I always fill it up all the way. At next fill up I take the miles traveled and divide by the gallons I just put in the car. I filled up yesterday after not having any highway driving at all and got to 22 mpg.

Normally if I have city and highway driving I average more around 30. Since these numbers seemed low to me I figured since I just got the car in december - maybe I need to adjust my driving habits. Since my last car was a 2004 Toyota Echo I started to realize that I push down on the accelator a little fast. In my old car that's what it took to get her moving...but in the focus it just seems to waste more fuel.

So after the fillup yesterday I decided to ease up on the acceleration and try to retrain my foot for the focus. Keeping an eye on the avg mpg I've traveled about 100 miles since yesterday in city conditions and kept it between 27-28 mpg. I've been working on better acceleration and maintaining a speed vs constantly changing. So we'll see how that improves my mpg.
Driving style has the biggest effect on mileage, sure. Here's a graph I put together after some fooling around with my Scangauge. I was actually surprised there was not MORE effect on mileage with hard vs soft acceleration. But this was a controlled test - in the real world there may be more of an overall effect by always accelerating hard.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Kenshai
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106614
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 Kenshai Good Standing Member
I've been using my car to delivery drive, since picking up the car at the end of November I've averaged over 70 miles a day since. Car is a manual.

As other have stated this car is very sensitive to throttle position get the higher mileage. I've seen tanks as low as 19 MPG pure city (pen and paper) and as high as 27 in the same conditions with a lighter foot. The type of driving this car goes through is not standard, it's constant stop and go traffic as well and turning off and on the vehicle upwards of 50 times a day. Fifteen to twenty 1-4 mile trips throughout the day.

On the other end of the spectrum here when I am not working and am casually driving I've seen city mileage hover low 30's with mild traffic and decent luck on lights.

Bookmarks & Social Networks