head temperature sensor oil over it! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109201
What I Drive: 2001,yellow, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Focuslu86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
head temperature sensor oil over it!

I own a ford focus 2001, zx3. my radiator fans are not working at all, i have checked the motor fans and they both work (using jumper wires from the batt to the motor). I have looked everywhere, but at last i checked for the head temperature sensor. when i disconnected the sensor, i found out that it was full of oil inside the connections...i sprayed some wd-40 on them to take the oil out, connected it again and turn on the engine. I turned on the fans to se if they worked but nothing. is there a possibility that my head temperature sensor is bad since it was covered with oil, causing my fans not to work?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "General Technical Chat".
Old 01-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Not sure on your actual question, but you do t want to use WD40, use a connector/electronic cleaner. Have you checked the relay? Start at the fans and go backwards. You have already tested the fans. Now go back.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

yes! i have checked the relays! and fuses and fan motors...i have a big feeling that the problem relays on the head temperature sensor..IT WAS COVERED IN OIL! like soaked in oil....i cleaned the connector and the pigtial with wd-40 and tried to take all the oil out...does this sensor control high and low fans?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focuslu86 View Post
yes! i have checked the relays! and fuses and fan motors...i have a big feeling that the problem relays on the head temperature sensor..IT WAS COVERED IN OIL! like soaked in oil....i cleaned the connector and the pigtial with wd-40 and tried to take all the oil out...does this sensor control high and low fans?

So you cleaned the oil out...with oil?

Clean them with something that will actually clean them, not more oil.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Focuslu86
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
So you cleaned the oil out...with oil?

Clean them with something that will actually clean them, not more oil.
no, why would i clean it with oil lol...i used WD-40 all the way...put a cloth on the bottom to clean all the oil that was coming out from the connector...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Does your temp sensor in your gauge cluster work?
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

you do know that WD-40 is oil.... USE Electronic / Connector cleaner CRC packages it and its $4-$5 bucks IIRC.

Does your temp gauge on your instrument cluster work??

The temp gauge works off the same temp sensor. The computer interprets that data and then controls the gauge.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
No matter what you used, it probably still wouldn't work if it was KO'ed. Try using the electronic odometer trick to see what your temperature is. You don't have to turn on the engine- only turn the key to ON in order to set the odometer to test mode. Once set, it will remain in test mode until you turn the key OFF, so you can start and see your temp climb if it does.

On this car, with the Zetec engine, there are 2 things that typically happen to make the fans not work. The first is the engine cooling fan resistor that goes out, and the second is the cooling fan plug-in connector that you would've probably already noticed as being melted.

I'll bet your fans come on as your engine temp reaches 116 C. That means that the low speed resistor is out. You can fix this by replacing the resistor, or you can make a joint on the hot wires to the fans so that your fans will come on high speed when either circuit is turned on.

What was written earlier is correct. If your temp gauge is showing temperature, then your temp sensor is not bad- maybe. It might be reading incorrectly, but the only way to diagnose that is to get an infrared thermometer, then use the electronic odometer trick to watch your engine temp. I would shoot the infrared thermometer on the upper radiator hose near the thermostat, and I would expect about a 5 C difference. Also while you're driving look for wacky jumps or drops in temp that would indicate a failed temp sensor.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
I'm surprised nobody mentioned it, but oil on the temp sensor is most likely due to a failed valve cover gasket, so be sure to look into that. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have oil on the outside of your spark plugs also.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks