new spark plugs. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
rbianca87
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108508
What I Drive: 2000 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 rbianca87 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
new spark plugs.

I have a 2000focus se.i was wondering what type of spark plugs are the best for the 2.0l d.o.h..c. Copperplatinum or iridium? I dont mind chaging them every 10k or so. Also which brand does tat motor like best? thanks

Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
2002FordFocusZX3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102001
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 2002FordFocusZX3 Good Standing Member
if i were you i would just spend the little bit of extra money and get plugs that will last you 50,000 plus miles i run e3 spark plugs in my car and they have been working great for me
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 21 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
I could not agree more on the E3 plugs. I've been running them for 3 years and they have been great.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 01-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
DarwinSays
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35941
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
if you don't mind changing every 10k and additionally don't mind spending more $$ over the course, then the coppers will get you a little better performance.
I've noticed slightly better torque when using them, but that could just be in my motor, how I had them gapped, etc..

for low maintenance and longer durability, E3's are a good choice.

I also noted recently that Ford has once again changed the part/number for the spark plugs on my SVT, not sure if the regular zetecs use the same ones - can't imagine why not.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
2007wagon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107858
What I Drive: 2007 wagon

FF Reputation: 1 2007wagon Good Standing Member
Not sure if the plugs are different in a 2000 or not but when I replaced my plugs in my 2007 I went to Ford and they sold me the Iridium plugs ($65.00Cdn for 4 plugs). I was shocked at the price but both the guy at the parts counter and several other people I knew said to be cautious using other brands and I figured if the first set lasted 5 years so I used the Iridium plugs and so far so good.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Eduktion
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105621
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Eduktion Good Standing Member
Hey, Guys just had a chat with a tech he said that he doesnt recomend Using import plugs on domestic cars, he said it wont improve performance, Idk about the gas mileage, i heard NGK Iridiums are great, BTW go to RockAuto i bought a set of 4 for $24 and the wires for $17 way plus shipping it was about $40 not bad at all, anyone else verify this?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Hands down I would go with the SP463 coppers Motocrafts

E3 just have not shown to do what they claim , they last a long time but not good when it comes to performance

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Eduktion
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105621
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Eduktion Good Standing Member
Thank Tom for that ^^^
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I agree, E3 plugs suck. They last because they have multiple firing surfaces, good thing too because they don't even use a precious metal tip like platinum or iridium. In other words, you paid for that awesome marketing program (dig that fancy airbrush work of plug impossibly firing off like a nuclear weapon!!) rather than for better product. An oldschool '50s and '60s plug with a fancy looking electrode, great job there, plug worth maybe $2. They can't be re-gapped later either if you want. At least you could on Splitfires, another gimmick plug using same worn out idea. E3s actually shield the flame from spreading as fast, you either get that or you don't. Add to that the very limited applications with no real heat range choices and you got a garbage gimmick plug. I took back plenty of them while working at the store, on some applications they wouldn't even run correctly to make for misfire issues in engines that proceeded to run perfect again when old plugs put back in.

Pretty funny that someone thinks the engine is smart enough to know whether it has a import or domestic plug in it. If you have proper physical application, tip configuration, and heat range you are pretty much there regardless of what you use, better to use precious metal plugs. I see no problems with the Motorcraft plug mentioned (and Tom would certainly know his stuff!), always best to run same brand plug as the motor as the heat range will be more accurate that way. When you pick another brand plug they often sub a plug that may be in between heat ranges you need and that's not the best part there..............

Also, anyone changing iridium plugs at 10K ain't got his head screwed on right, the plugs are 100,000 mile plugs. Platinum are 50,000, why would you be willing to change them every 10,000 miles? Those days are gone bucko, you're burning money.

Bookmarks & Social Networks