To all the Ti to ST converters... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To all the Ti to ST converters...

I am curious to know what made you make the switch from a Ti to an St. I know some things are obvious...the ecoboost engine perhaps and the 6MT. However, other than those two things (and maybe the Recaro seats), I can't think of any other reason why one would make the switch. In my case, I purchased a 5MT Ti hatch about four months ago for 21.5K. Are the engine, 6MT and recaro seats that much better? I guess if I had paid 27 - 28 K for my car, I think I would be thinking differently. By the way, my car is not a base Ti: It has the upgraded suspension and tires (18" summer tires, stiffer suspension), and the premium package (leather seats, power driver seats). It does not have navigation or the winter package (I am in Florida so but wup about that).

I've never owned a sports car so maybe I just don't know what it means to drive a hot hatch.

Comments are appreciated.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
160 hp vs. 252 hp need I say more.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 10 valmundo Great Standing Member
The ecoboost engine is definitely a strong selling point.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
Pretty much. I wouldn't get the recaros though. I sat in a ST2 and it was like blocks of wood digging into my shoulder blades. After a min of sitting in it I didn't even want to drive it. My back is way too wide to be comfortable in it past the 5 min ride to work.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Pretty much. I wouldn't get the recaros though. I sat in a ST2 and it was like blocks of wood digging into my shoulder blades. After a min of sitting in it I didn't even want to drive it. My back is way too wide to be comfortable in it past the 5 min ride to work.
I have to 2nd this comment. I cannot understand how people sit in those seats. I have wide shoulders and I couldn't even sit all the way back. It was completely and utterly the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat in.

Even without the seats though, with as much as I drive my car, I'll never have any type of sports car as my dally driver. I didn't even like having my GTI as my DD when I had it. Not economical at all, stiff suspension, expensive gas, etc.

Being an adult sucks sometimes.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
WhiteTite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100660
What I Drive: '13 Focus ST2. '12 Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 2 WhiteTite Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueIce View Post
I have to 2nd this comment. I cannot understand how people sit in those seats.
We kept our Ti, as we were originally looking for a new car for my wife to replace her Expedition. We were going to buy a CMAX. However, when I took the Ti in for a "free" oil change offer from Ford, I test drove the ST and I realized how much I missed my Mustang I sold last year. I bought the ST2 which was also thousands cheaper than the CMAX (reasoning to wife), I'm loving the power and 6spd, and now with the Cobb tune even more. I do miss the auto dim mirror, back up sensors, ambient lighting, homelink visor and heated seats the Ti has.

The Seats were def a concern, I'm 6'1 220, they have either loosened up some or I have just got used to them but they are not a deal breaker. I do think they should have made the sides adjustable and the car would appeal to a wider demographic.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
BlueIce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93794
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 BlueIce Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTite View Post
We kept our Ti, as we were originally looking for a new car for my wife to replace her Expedition. We were going to buy a CMAX. However, when I took the Ti in for a "free" oil change offer from Ford, I test drove the ST and I realized how much I missed my Mustang I sold last year. I bought the ST2 which was also thousands cheaper than the CMAX (reasoning to wife), I'm loving the power and 6spd, and now with the Cobb tune even more. I do miss the auto dim mirror, back up sensors, ambient lighting, homelink visor and heated seats the Ti has.

The Seats were def a concern, I'm 6'1 220, they have either loosened up some or I have just got used to them but they are not a deal breaker. I do think they should have made the sides adjustable and the car would appeal to a wider demographic.
Adjustable seats and an automatic tranny. Driving a manual for me is a no go. I've done it a few times in rush hour, but won't do it again. After playing soccer and baseball all year round for 20 years my knees have already about had it.

www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293992
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
erogers10287
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101431
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 2 erogers10287 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTite View Post

I was seriously considering the Cobb tune to mine too. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
Perhaps you should considering that the extra HP would not be used 99+% of the time.

Plenty of cars have > 252HP but I don't think that most Focus owners are considering them.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Perhaps you should considering that the extra HP would not be used 99+% of the time.
Actually just general accleration is increased alot and the tourque curve has changed under boost. Like I said it's personality and you don't seem to fit the ST's target buyer if you think like that. It's also more than HP since there's handling and braking to be considered.

I personally am a bit demanding of my rides more than the average driver and I've already pushed my SE to it's limits and there's some some suspension issues that need to be worked out but otherwise the standard Focus is enough of a performer for the general buyer and doesn't desire much more than it's stock capabilities.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->