Motor venting issue - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
drunkinmonkey
O SO SLO

Fan#: 55470
What I Drive: 00' Turbo zx3, 02' saturn sl1

FF Reputation: 67 drunkinmonkey Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Motor venting issue

Hey guys 3 years ago I buil my motor up and took off the Pcv valve and put a ray racing block off plate in place. I had an oil line going from the block off plate and the valve cover breather going to none vented oil catch can. During the three years my engine has been leaking oil from everywhere!! Just wondering where I can vent the motor from to stop the pressure. Would simply putting a breather filter on the catch can stop this? Or do I need some bigger? Or a different setup. Thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So you just have an oil line going to the PCV block off plate? and the valve cover going to a sealed can? That's not going to do anything. Not sure I understand what you mean by oil line. Usually you do the PCV delete if you have a turbo. Ideally what you will want is a air oil separator and tie the "outlet" to the intake to have a vacuum. it sounds like you have essentially completely sealed any venting of pressure and its finding its way out through the seals.

Pull all that off and put a breather on the Valve cover and put either the stock PCV on the motor or install an air-oil separator and install the "venting" of that to the intake to remove pressure.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
drunkinmonkey
O SO SLO

Well have the block off plate and I have a line from the block off plTe to an oil catch can. Then I have another line going from the valve cover to the oil catch can. I recently put a breather on the catch can. Is this enough venting now?

I pulled my motor to replace all the gaskets and don't want to put everything back together and have the same issue all over agian. The motor is boosted
Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

It sounds like that is how most people do it. just make sure you use large enough lines and a large enough breather on the catch can. if your paranoid then you can remove the breather and tie it into the intake to pull more of a vacuum. not sure many turbo people do that though.
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
drunkinmonkey
O SO SLO

Ya when I had another line going from the intake manifold to the catch can aswell. The car idled like a piece of crap. As soon as I took that line off the car would idle fine. Mind you I never tried this once I installed the breather on the catch can
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

you would not want it to go to the intake manifold... you need to make sure that its up stream of the MAF otherwise your introducing un-metered air into the system. Not to mention you have pressure under boost. The only place you would want to install it now is between the air filter and the turbo. But people dont like the possibility of getting oil on the turbo intake so they just vent the catch can.

You will want to check the filter periodically though. they can get oil saturated and get clogged up and then your stuck with no venting again. I think most people just get tubing and do a loop / bend like on a vent for a in the cabin battery box. this still allows for their to be no pressure build up and you don't have to worry about a clogged filter.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
drunkinmonkey
O SO SLO

Thanks for all the info! Deff will make sure this new catch can is vented!!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #8
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
anytime the motor is pulled any and all gaskets should be replaced. the biggest be otch for me was replacing the rear main seal
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON

Bookmarks & Social Networks