Strange Starting Problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Jerryillz07
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86947
What I Drive: 2005 Red Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 Jerryillz07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Strange Starting Problem

So over the past week or so my car at times has had trouble starting. I'll turn the key and it will just click, start to turn over but couldn't crank. Nonetheless it would eventually start...this problem had gradually worsened in the past week to the point where I've become less confident that it would start. Finally today when leaving the grocery store the car wouldn't start. Just clicks. It sounded a few times like it would almost want to start but wouldn't fully crank. Tried to jump-start it to no-avail. The dummy light never came on as it had for the alternator when that died so I'm assuming its not that. Could the battery be completely shot? Starter possibly? Could it be something more in depth?

(Lights/radio etc. turn on)

Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
markwb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105077
What I Drive: Ford Focus ZXW 2006

FF Reputation: 1 markwb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, I'd start with the battery, sounds like low voltage condition. How do the battery terminals and connections look? A new battery and re-work of battery cables and connections (clean and lube) may be in order. Is it the oem battery?
"My Other Vehicle is a Nuclear Submarine"
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Dardas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107673
What I Drive: 2005 Saab 9-3 Turbo 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Dardas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah i would start with the Battery and Starter... See how old the battery is, and depending on your milage, if you have high miles and never replaced the starter it might be that. Another issue that i've heard if it is clicking and not starting is a bad fuel pump but the check engine light might come on. Also, if all the dash lights come on when you start the car and it clicks might be a bad battery because mine did that and it was a bad battery
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardas View Post
Another issue that i've heard if it is clicking and not starting is a bad fuel pump
No, cranking but not starting is a sign of a bad fuel pump. Clicking and not starting is a sign of a loose battery terminal, loose starter terminal, bad starter, or bad battery.

If you tried starting several times without success and turned the key off each time, then you might have flooded the engine which will cause symptoms like those of a bad battery- slow cranking, non-starting. If you don't turn the key off, then it won't spray another startup fuel charge. If you think you're flooded, do this: Key off, press and hold accelerator to the floor, turn key to start- no fuel will be sprayed- when the engine sputters or starts- let up on the accelerator. Now start normally if it's not running.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Dardas
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107673
What I Drive: 2005 Saab 9-3 Turbo 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Dardas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
No, cranking but not starting is a sign of a bad fuel pump. Clicking and not starting is a sign of a loose battery terminal, loose starter terminal, bad starter, or bad battery.
Yes, but that is if the fuel pump is completely gone. If it is still working but not functioning right it is about to go, if could do that. I have heard cases of that before. Which in this case it might be going bad. The fuel pump was just my opinion of another consideration to take into account.

Bookmarks & Social Networks