The Focus spent a week in the shop... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87235
Location: Johnstown, PA
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

Posts: 297
FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The Focus spent a week in the shop...

...and it appears they got it right this time.
I had two issues:
-the jerky/juddery/harsh clutch engagement, with odd traction control involvement that either contributed to the juddering or sometimes cut the power altogether; I had been complaining about all this for months, and it had already spent time in the shop; the problem continued to get worse, and was coupled with computer/gear selection issues
-steering wheel controls issues; cruise, infotainment, etc either wouldn't work or worked oddly or intermittently.

The fixes included replacing the clutches in the tranny and the clockspring in the steering column. Both seem to have done the job; the transmission now engages smoothly (as did the tranny in the 8K SE loaner I had for a week), and usually selects an appropriate gear. The steering wheel controls now seem to work all the time.

So we shall see; I've had enough trouble to make me a little hesitant about the car, but I'm hoping happier days are here.
So a belated 'thank-you' to Ford Customer Service and my local Ford garage; a belated thank-you because it took 'em awhile to fix it; I'm pleased all the same.
Moon


halfmoonclip is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106663
Location: Sunny SoCal, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Posts: 227
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm pleased to hear that they resolved your issues and provided you a loaner car while yours was in the shop. There's no way I could be without a car for a week while mine was being worked on.
Just Tom is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast
 
miuzi05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106045
Location: Hamilton, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Both seem to have done the job; the transmission now engages smoothly (as did the tranny in the 8K SE loaner I had for a week), and usually selects an appropriate gear.
"Usually?" I hope you mean always!

What kind of symptoms were you seeing, regarding inappropriate gear selection? While my Focus is a 5-speed, my partner's mother just took delivery of an auto. I'll be riding in it and driving it from time to time, and I'm trying to get a feel for some of the issues others have seen with them. Being that my lady (who will be driving it probably once a week) and her mom aren't really into cars, I hope to help her maintain it well and avoid any serious issues.

Basically, I keenly read any automatic issue threads, and appreciate all the great info from this forum.
miuzi05 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 2,905
FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miuzi05 View Post
"Usually?" I hope you mean always!

What kind of symptoms were you seeing, regarding inappropriate gear selection?
How exactly do you determine what the "appropriate" gear is?

My point is that what is deemed appropriate can be highly subjective.

My transmission often selects what could be called an inappropriate gear simply because it cannot read my mind.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast
 
miuzi05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106045
Location: Hamilton, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
How exactly do you determine what the "appropriate" gear is?

My point is that what is deemed appropriate can be highly subjective.

My transmission often selects what could be called an inappropriate gear simply because it cannot read my mind.
Another fine question, actually. I guess that is quite subjective. Kind of an extension of why I asked for elaboration, anyway.

My transmission, on the other hand, does read my mind, by way of my right hand.
miuzi05 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
rlculpepper
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97355
Location: Atlanta, GA
What I Drive: '12 Ngot Slvr SEL 303A Moonroof

Posts: 7
FF Reputation: 1 rlculpepper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Same issue on my 2012 SEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
...and it appears they got it right this time.
I had two issues:
-the jerky/juddery/harsh clutch engagement, with odd traction control involvement that either contributed to the juddering or sometimes cut the power altogether; I had been complaining about all this for months, and it had already spent time in the shop; the problem continued to get worse, and was coupled with computer/gear selection issues
-steering wheel controls issues; cruise, infotainment, etc either wouldn't work or worked oddly or intermittently.

The fixes included replacing the clutches in the tranny and the clockspring in the steering column. Both seem to have done the job; the transmission now engages smoothly (as did the tranny in the 8K SE loaner I had for a week), and usually selects an appropriate gear. The steering wheel controls now seem to work all the time.

So we shall see; I've had enough trouble to make me a little hesitant about the car, but I'm hoping happier days are here.
So a belated 'thank-you' to Ford Customer Service and my local Ford garage; a belated thank-you because it took 'em awhile to fix it; I'm pleased all the same.
Moon
Just had the Clutch Assembly replaced. Experienced a hard shudder & power loss at a gear shift around 20mph. Now I experience a momentary jump in RPM from 1300 - 3000.
rlculpepper is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87235
Location: Johnstown, PA
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

Posts: 297
FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pepper, I suspect that the 'abrupt' shifts caused by oil-contaminated clutches were causing the traction control to kick in, either as a juddering from the anitlock pumping, or in a total power cut from the engine. I had an event last summer when I thought, for a moment, it was going to let me sit due to a power chop. Since the repair, mine has been fine, but I've only a couple hundred miles on it. I really like so many things about the car, so I hope it stays sorted out.
Among the maddening things about it was the absence of a consistent problem, leading the Ford garage to claim that 'they couldn't replicate the problem.' Whether that was actually the case of if Ford has said to stonewall on it because the problem is so widespread, who knows. It has to be costing them beaucoup bucks to handle the problems, and 'customer service' from the mothership was heavily involved in finally getting it fixed.

'05, the 'inappropriate' gear thing is where my problems first began (the juddery starts and shifts came later as the clutches degraded); the computer controlled shifts reminded you of a rookie driving a standard, and getting caught in too high a gear; to provoke a downshift, your really had to cane it. I have to presume that they did the most recent reflash as part of the work, as the car now seems to be in the right gear nearly all the time, and gentle throttle will give you another gear as necessary. The loaner Focus had its poop together on that score, and now mine does as well; smooth pullouts and shifts.

Full sympathy on liking real manual transmissions; I've a 10 year old Wrangler that I love to drive; I'm the only one in the house who can use it. If the Focus ends up getting traded, I wouldn't be adverse to another manual.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
miuzi05
Focus Enthusiast
 
miuzi05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106045
Location: Hamilton, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Sedan 5MT

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 miuzi05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's a bummer, but I'll cross my fingers that your tranny stays properly sorted. Thanks for filling in the details.

I totally get the decision to choose an auto over a manual to give family the ability to drive it. My dad makes the same sacrifice for my siblings and my mum, none of whom drive standard. But he misses it big time, so he's always itching to drive my cars.
miuzi05 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.