Water in the tank, can't get it running again. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Nabby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107114
What I Drive: 2092 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Nabby Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Water in the tank, can't get it running again.

02 Focus SE 2.0L. This is my friend's car. One day it wouldn't start so she took it to the mechanic. He said the fuel pump was bad, then while replacing it, said he found a couple gallons of water had been dumped in the tank, so the tank and lines were drained and refilled with isoHEET added, the spark plugs were all replaced and the holes blown out with compressed air, but it still won't start. I can get gas to squirt from the valve on the fuel rail, and I tested a spark plug by setting it on metal while cranking and got spark. It really sounds like it wants to start but can't quite get there. Any suggestions? I'm going to try starting fluid in the morning. Her mechanic says he doesn't know what's wrong and wants her to replace the PCM to see if it helps, so I have to step in.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
have you checked the fuel cutoff switch just below the glove box on the kick panel? make sure its pushed in.

please check with starting fluid first if the cutoff is fine. if it runs then its still a fuel problem since you have verified spark. if it doesn't run, check the compression.

do not replace the pcm until your diagnosis leads you there

edit: verify that fuel is flowing through the injectors and that havent been seized. im not sure what water will do, if it could plug the screen or seize them.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Nabby
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107114
What I Drive: 2092 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Nabby Good Standing Member
So, the big hose from the throttle body to the air filter housing wasn't really on tight, it just kinda lifted off, so I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and had my friend try to start the car, and the car just belched a fireball back up out of the throttle body... makes me think there's spark with an intake valve open... I asked a few more questions.
She said she had recently had a new timing belt put on, I asked about the spark plug wires and she's sure they're on in the right order. Is compression testing still my next course, or is there possibly a timing issue, or something else?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
She said she had recently had a new timing belt put on, I asked about the spark plug wires and she's sure they're on in the right order. Is compression testing still my next course, or is there possibly a timing issue, or something else?
A compression test will give you at least an indication if the timing was done correctly or if the timing belt tensioner has perhaps loosened and the timing belt has jumped.

Cofirming the plug wire sequence should be easy enough; they are marked at the coil "posts" and the cylinders are numbered one to four left to right (facing car) from the crank pulley end.

Is it the same mechanic who wants to replace the PCM that did the timing belt? If so, I would re-do all his previous work. No competent mechanic suggests a PCM replacement "to see if it helps" as mikebontoft has already stated.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
X2. Change mechanic. I'd be looking at the timing belt if very recent, that backfire has incorrect timing all over it. The PCM is not the problem. Mechanic is out to lunch.............
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
OrangeSVTguy
Get Squashed

Fan#: 33384
What I Drive: '04 Comp. Orange SVT 3dr.

FF Reputation: 44 OrangeSVTguy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Maybe replace the fuel filter while you're at it if it hasn't been done already.
SVT Squad #227 || Build # 1329 of 1978 || FF ROTM Oct. 2006

Bookmarks & Social Networks