2 Noises - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast
 
Neptune15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91691
Location: Hamilton, Canada
What I Drive: '07 ZX3

Posts: 213
FF Reputation: 1 Neptune15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2 Noises

2007 ZX3 2.0 Manual

First Noise:

This has been there for about a year, but it doesn't really affect performance (just hope it's not a safety hazard) so i haven't looked into it. I hear a popopop sound when going slow over bumps, and it sounds like it's coming from the left front. I can feel a little bit of vibration through the cabin when this happens. Sometimes when I clutch down and the pedal hits the firewall, it makes a similar noise. The latter is a newly developing issue.

Upgrading the shocks/struts didn't affect this noise.

When I poke around, everything seems tight except for the stabilizer bar endlinks, which have a little give. I'm not sure if they are supposed to have a little give or not. The sound is coming from one side, and the endlink feels the same on both front corners. I can rotate the endlink about the y axis, not sure if this is normal?

Second Noise:

This is a newly developing problem. Might have to do with the cold. When coming to a stop, I hear a groaning/creaking. The last thing I did to the car was swap the brake lines for SS lines, but I'm not sure how that can be the culprit.

The car still has a year left on the warranty, but I'd like to get some idea of what could be the problem before bringing it in.

Thanks for any feedback.

EDIT: Bonus problem:
One morning, when it was really cold out, my car would start fine, but immediately die. It wouldn't hold an idle. I warmed up the car with my foot, and tried again, but still no idle. I disconnected/reconnected the IACV, still no idle. I cycled the key a couple times and it worked. This only happened once, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned.


Neptune15 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96835
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Posts: 2,169
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just my $.02 and a couple guesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune15 View Post
2007 ZX3 2.0 Manual

First Noise:

This has been there for about a year, but it doesn't really affect performance (just hope it's not a safety hazard) so i haven't looked into it. I hear a popopop sound when going slow over bumps, and it sounds like it's coming from the left front. I can feel a little bit of vibration through the cabin when this happens. Sometimes when I clutch down and the pedal hits the firewall, it makes a similar noise. The latter is a newly developing issue.

Upgrading the shocks/struts didn't affect this noise.

When I poke around, everything seems tight except for the stabilizer bar endlinks, which have a little give. I'm not sure if they are supposed to have a little give or not. The sound is coming from one side, and the endlink feels the same on both front corners. I can rotate the endlink about the y axis, not sure if this is normal?
When you replaced the struts, did you replace the plastic "strut bearing" rings at the mounts? If the struts can't rotate a little bit during spring compression, they can make a spring popping noise.

Endlinks should have no play, but you can get them to rotate a little around the vertical axis if you grab them and twist. It should be firm and tight, not sloppy and loose.

If you can get the front wheels off the ground and check for sloppy ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune15 View Post
Second Noise:

This is a newly developing problem. Might have to do with the cold. When coming to a stop, I hear a groaning/creaking. The last thing I did to the car was swap the brake lines for SS lines, but I'm not sure how that can be the culprit.

The car still has a year left on the warranty, but I'd like to get some idea of what could be the problem before bringing it in.

Thanks for any feedback.
Some brake pad friction material is just noisy on some cars. Sometimes, perfectly fine aftermarket brake pads and rotors make a horrible moaning sound that can only be rectified by swapping to OEM or equivalent.

The pads on my focus make a bad groaning noise when they are cold or the rotors have flash rust on them, goes away after one stop every time. I don't know what kind of pad they are, they stop just fine so I will wear them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune15 View Post
EDIT: Bonus problem:
One morning, when it was really cold out, my car would start fine, but immediately die. It wouldn't hold an idle. I warmed up the car with my foot, and tried again, but still no idle. I disconnected/reconnected the IACV, still no idle. I cycled the key a couple times and it worked. This only happened once, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned.
Maybe it was gunked up with deposits, or one pole of the stepper motor is dead, or it was just too cold, or who knows. If it happens again, I would be more concerned, if it never replicates, meh.
elsolo is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast
 
Neptune15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91691
Location: Hamilton, Canada
What I Drive: '07 ZX3

Posts: 213
FF Reputation: 1 Neptune15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks.

The strut bearings are new too. I think it's not something with the struts or springs because the noise was there before and after I replaced them.

The brake pads are Motorcraft brake pads, on original rotors, so it's odd that they'd be making the noise. It's not a big deal anyway.

Last I checked for play around the suspension components, everything felt solid.

Could the popping noise be from a bad transmission mount? It kind of does sound like two things banging into each other. It makes the noise when going over bumps and sometimes when I use the clutch pedal. If I'm in neutral and I use the clutch pedal while standing still, there is no noise. It's only when I'm moving and changing gear.
Neptune15 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic
 
elsolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96835
Location: Long Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

Posts: 2,169
FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, if your engine/transmission is flopping around due to a worn out mount, noises may be heard.

I was thinking about your IAC issue yesterday while washing my car, I wonder if some condensed moisture in the IAC froze up overnight.
elsolo is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #5
Neptune15
Focus Enthusiast
 
Neptune15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91691
Location: Hamilton, Canada
What I Drive: '07 ZX3

Posts: 213
FF Reputation: 1 Neptune15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was thinking the same thing. I have an FSWerks CAI, not sure if that has to do with it.
Neptune15 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.