Does the Focus just have low mpg? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
poorblackfocus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107038
Location: York, ME
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Base, 2006 Cobalt

Posts: 7
FF Reputation: 1 poorblackfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Does the Focus just have low mpg?

I used to have a 2006 cobalt coupe base model, and when I wrecked it I got a 2013 focus base. Both have roughly the same # of gears, are standard, amount of hp. is equal, and the power to weight is about the same (did the math). However I could drive like a dick with a 2.2 L and get 38 mpgs on average, and mid 50's when I tried. Now with a salvage title it gets 33 mpg with dented fender and sides, in town. Dents make it get 31 on highway. (miss the econ gauge and oil life meter which worked of the number engine revolutions) My new focus is nowhere near that which i will admit to the break in but drive the same way. What I want to know is that will driving the same with a standard get me less or more for results of mpg? I mean if a car with a bigger direct injection engine of the same weight can get better mpg where did ford go wrong?


poorblackfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
alteredego
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Fan#: 61830
Location: Riverview, MI
What I Drive: '96 Neon...RED.

Posts: 106
FF Reputation: 1 alteredego Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why would you expect anywhere close?

The 5 speed is rated 35mpg strictly highway. I wouldn't think much better would be possible without a change in driving habits.
alteredego is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '12 Black SEL 302A; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,657
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I get mid 40s on a regular basis and I am NOT an eco-conscious driver.
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
michaelwb
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 105890
Location: Los Angeles, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sport

Posts: 27
FF Reputation: 1 michaelwb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
I get mid 40s on a regular basis and I am NOT an eco-conscious driver.
Interesting. I played with the trip computer today, resetting it several times on the highway to see what MPGs I got at constant speed.

I stayed in the far right lane and kept my speed between 52 and 57 mph, letting the car slow down as it went up nearly imperceptible inclines and gliding as much as possible. My MPGs stayed around 45 MPG.

Perhaps it's my 18" Titanium wheels and 5-speed transmission. An SFE might do better.
michaelwb is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
kam327
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,328
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwb View Post
Interesting. I played with the trip computer today, resetting it several times on the highway to see what MPGs I got at constant speed.

I stayed in the far right lane and kept my speed between 52 and 57 mph, letting the car slow down as it went up nearly imperceptible inclines and gliding as much as possible. My MPGs stayed around 45 MPG.

Perhaps it's my 18" Titanium wheels and 5-speed transmission. An SFE might do better.
My steady state MPG at 55 mph is around 47 mpg and I have the DCT and stock 17" tires. So you're pretty much right on. ZX3's mid-40's claim seems a little far fetched but steady state MPG at 45 mph is almost 60 mpg so if he's spending a lot of time on country roads around 45 mph then I can see it being possible.
kam327 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
swansong
Focus Addict
 
swansong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Fan#: 83576
Location: Appleton, WI
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Posts: 1,411
FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorblackfocus View Post
However I could drive like a dick with a 2.2 L and get 38 mpgs on average, and mid 50's when I tried. ?
Gonna have to call BS on that one, especially the mid 50s part.

Fuelly data: http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/cobalt/2006

Your mileage on the Focus should improve after the break in period though. Give it a few thousand.
__________________
Mine: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD: 82k, Black, MANUAL
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
swansong is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
poorblackfocus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107038
Location: York, ME
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus Base, 2006 Cobalt

Posts: 7
FF Reputation: 1 poorblackfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong View Post
Gonna have to call BS on that one, especially the mid 50s part.

Fuelly data: http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/cobalt/2006

Your mileage on the Focus should improve after the break in period though. Give it a few thousand.
Mid 50's were in a very hilly area actually and normally done at night with a just waxed car on a normal 30 mile trip I take. But i really don't see how answers any questions beyond the break in.
I mean yeah how i drive is the biggest effective contributor to mpg. but even to use the fuely website as a reference would leave you with the fact that it gives the 2006 cobalt a higher mpg than the 2013 focus. I mean realistically i think its in the gearing at this point. cobalt does 5th at 40 mph, while the focus can go into fifth much earlier. The gearing allows it to run at 2.5k rpm at 65, while in the focus the rpms are well above that(anything above 500 rpm means its using more gas).
poorblackfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #8
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 11,639
FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorblackfocus View Post
Mid 50's were in a very hilly area actually and normally done at night with a just waxed car on a normal 30 mile trip I take. But i really don't see how answers any questions beyond the break in.
I mean yeah how i drive is the biggest effective contributor to mpg. but even to use the fuely website as a reference would leave you with the fact that it gives the 2006 cobalt a higher mpg than the 2013 focus. I mean realistically i think its in the gearing at this point. cobalt does 5th at 40 mph, while the focus can go into fifth much earlier. The gearing allows it to run at 2.5k rpm at 65, while in the focus the rpms are well above that(anything above 500 rpm means its using more gas).
Unless you're talking about the 5 speed manual in the Focus, the 6DCT will be turning over at only 2600 rpm at 70 mph, and 2000 rpm at 55 mph in 6th.

The 5MT does come closer to 3000 rpm at 70 mph with the 16" wheels and tires.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Focus_2012
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 104297
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

Posts: 53
FF Reputation: 1 Focus_2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Me and a friend drove to the city here while back we each took our own cars he has a 08 cobalt LT and my 2012 Focus SEL both driving the speed limit when we got to the city we both fueled up at the same gas station and he was getting 28 mpg and i was getting 39 mpg.

So i don't understand how your cobalt could have been doing so much better.
Focus_2012 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
VOLDAR
Focus Addict
 
VOLDAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90444
Location: Montreal, Canada
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2012 SEL Hatchback

Posts: 1,137
FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorblackfocus View Post
...However I could drive like a dick with a 2.2 L and get 38 mpgs on average, and mid 50's when I tried...
Excuse me, do you talk about UK mpg ? Because I don't believe anything about 50' unless you are talking UK mpg. And even then, I doubt a Cobalt has beter mpg than a TDi of same type. And I have not yet found a gasoline car doing 50 mpg (US mpg).
__________________
White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat
303A, 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic, 17" Aluminum wheels, Luxury Package,
Parking Technology, Navigation, Winter Package
VOLDAR is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.