Fast HEEEEEEELP! Lower motor mount Q. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 49029
What I Drive: 2006 Red ZX3 SAP

FF Reputation: 4 Marbs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Fast HEEEEEEELP! Lower motor mount Q.

So I am replacing my lower motor mount bracket and Ford has "updated" the part . The bolt that goes through the mount on the bracket side is now larger. I have the new bolt, and I have everything taken apart. I don't want to have to put the broken parts back in and continue to limp around until I can fix her "properly". These are the options I can think of, what do you guys think?

1. I can drill the sleeve on my current one and make it bigger to fit the new part (They are currently poly bushings, but with the stock mount)
2. I can order an entirely new lower motor mount with poly bushings (Hoping it fits the new larger bolt), and be without a car for x amount of time and force the fiance to park in the driveway.
3. I Can order JUST the new poly bushings and hope they will fit the new larger bolt that Ford has upgraded to. And again be without a car for x amount of time and force the fiance to park in the driveway
4. Go back to the Ford stealership and buy a factory mount for WAY too much money and not have polymounts any more(Last resort if you ask me).

I need to get on the road again ASAP, BUT fortunately my Fiance has the next week off of work so I can still get around if needed, but that would make her either stuck at home with no car, or having to stay up LATE to pick me up from work, and she can't park in the garage because I'm on jacks ion the middle of the garage. (she won't like that option).

What do you think my best option would be? I'm leaning toward drilling the sleeve out so it's big enough to fit the new larger bolt. I'm just not sure if that will affect the integrity of the sleeve/mount.

2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drilling sounds fine, as long as the difference in size isn't TOO large!

Sleeve just needs enough material to take the crush load of the bolt, so it tightens up solidly. As long as you aren't drilling it out to "paper thin" it should be OK.

How big a difference are we talking here? Is it a case of "almost" fits?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

It almost fits. About a 2mm difference or so.
2006 Focus ZX3 SAP, Draxas Header, FS Werks Flex pipe, MBRP exhaust, CAI, Tuned, Debaged, tinted windows, FRPP lowering kit, SVT 5-spoke wheels, Black Halo Projector Headlights, Niteshaded Side markers and tails, Mazda rear wiper, mustang antenna.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
OK, and the sleeve is prob. about 3-5 mil thick? (guessing at least 3)

removing 1 mil would leave plenty....

I'm "eyeballing" from a distance here, the poly mounts I've seen had pretty thick bushings. If you're leaving half or more of it intact you're not going to crush it tightening down the mounting bolt normally...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Here are some pics

This is how it is now.

With the stock bolt (there is a tiny bit of play)

Here's the new one not fitting (it's pretty much centered)

Looks like it'd be okay to me, but looking for second opinions. I don't wanna get stranded on the road becuse it was too thin and broke.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree with Sailor, especially after seeing the picture. That sleeve would probably support 2-3 thousand pounds, and it doesn't need to do anything near that. Drilling it out for clearance is probably your best option if you need to get the car back on the road. A drill press would be ideal but a bench vise should hold it well enough to cleanly drill it out.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

Looks like that's what I'll be doing tomorrow. Thanks for the quick replies.

Anyone happen to know the torque specs (if any) and these bolts? Or should I just use thread-loc and go as tight as I can get them? The top bracket bolt is a PITMFA, and won't get torqued no matter what I try. But maybe the rest should to torqued?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
got any calipers to take a measurement?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Marbs
Focus Fanatic

I do at home, that's how I figured it was about 2mm difference in bolt sizes. I can get measurements/more pics once I get home if needed. What where you wantng the meaurements of? I can ask my Fiance to meausre and take/send pics. I took her Jeep to work so she's stuck at home and will do anything if itm eans she gets her Jeep back.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
i was wondering if freezing the bolt and heating the sleeve indirectly would allow you to hammer it through. A 2mm difference in bolt size is quite a difference.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->