Sounds like motorcycle following me - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91665
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Hatchback SE, Sport

FF Reputation: 0 tmnCA Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sounds like motorcycle following me

Our 1 year old 2012 SE with 20k miles on it has for the past 2 days been making a rumbling sound, it sounds like a motorcycle following us when we are cruising whether 25 MPH or 65 MPH. I can't hear anything during acceleration but can't tell if motor noise covers it up. It is definitely coming from the rear, I kept looking for the phantom bike!

Wheel bearing/axles? Tires? Exhaust?

Yes I'm making an appointment to bring it in but trying to figure out whether we should limit driving until it is checked out....

Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
DerbyDave
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103584
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 DerbyDave Good Standing Member
Could be a wheel bearing, I used to have a chevy that ate wheel bearings, when one failed it made a similar sound. You can check it by lifting the wheel and try to rock the wheel back and forth at 12 and 6 oclock. if it moves at all the bearing is bad.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Supernaut
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85958
What I Drive: '99 Kawasaki Ninja EX500

FF Reputation: 1 Supernaut Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDave View Post
Could be a wheel bearing, I used to have a chevy that ate wheel bearings, when one failed it made a similar sound. You can check it by lifting the wheel and try to rock the wheel back and forth at 12 and 6 oclock. if it moves at all the bearing is bad.
Another way you can check is to weave the car back and forth, safely of course when no other traffic is around. When the weight transfers to the side with the bad bearing, the sounds gets louder, then quieter when the weight transfers away from it. That is if the bearing is a problem.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

I had a bearing go on my 18 year old Volvo, it was most obvious when turning and it was a front wheel. It made a clicking sound when turning. Well, I'm bringing it in next week. If it is a bearing I am going to be extremely disappointed that a car this new would have such a major issue!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
So many possibilities....

You listed most of them, guessing which is most likely would need more info. (or being there). For example, except for catastrophic failure, tire noise tends to develop over time as they wear. On another hand, exhausts can be damaged easily and create sudden noise.
Bearings USUALLY fail immediately OR after long use, however there are a small number of random failures at any mileage.

We'll be interested to see what this one turns out to be...

Luck!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

It's going in on Monday. I'm pretty sure it's not the tires, have checked the pressure and inspected them. I suspect something with the wheel bearings or axle since the sound is directly related to tire speed (ie no noise while idling, even if engine is slightly revved). I'll let you know :(
Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
tmnCA
Focus Enthusiast

Got the car back today - yesterday 3 guys had to drive it before they heard the noise which I thought was very loud - maybe they have hearing damage from the air wrenches. By then it was end of day so they gave us a rental.

Today they confirmed it was the right rear wheel bearing, and replaced it. Yay!

I also mentioned the fact that since the software update "recall" was performed on our car earlier this year - not at our request but when we brought it in for an oil change - it has been giving us a rattle as it shifts from 1-2 gear. Previously, our car had not had any signs of the DCT problems, so I was dismayed that an "update" actually made the car worse. It didn't shudder or jerk like some owners have experienced but just seemed to shift too early and not smoothly. Driving the rental Focus reminded us of how our car used to feel before the update!

So they did reset the "memory" (re-install the software update? I don't know, husband picked up the car and was in a hurry) and my husband said pulling out from the dealer the car did not do it any more, but then he drove home 20 miles on the highway and when he picked me up there was a bit of a rattle... not as bad as before.

So now I remember there being a post about a set of maneuvers that are supposed to be performed after this transmission update is applied, to set the parameters or something. I guess I will find that and complete them in the AM, but it seems too late since the car had been driven over 20 miles. Maybe I should go back, ask them to re-update again and then do the maneuvers right away - has anyone had success with that?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnCA View Post
Got the car back today - yesterday 3 guys had to drive it before they heard the noise which I thought was very loud - maybe they have hearing damage from the air wrenches. By then it was end of day so they gave us a rental.

Today they confirmed it was the right rear wheel bearing, and replaced it. Yay!

I also mentioned the fact that since the software update "recall" was performed on our car earlier this year - not at our request but when we brought it in for an oil change - it has been giving us a rattle as it shifts from 1-2 gear. Previously, our car had not had any signs of the DCT problems, so I was dismayed that an "update" actually made the car worse. It didn't shudder or jerk like some owners have experienced but just seemed to shift too early and not smoothly. Driving the rental Focus reminded us of how our car used to feel before the update!

So they did reset the "memory" (re-install the software update? I don't know, husband picked up the car and was in a hurry) and my husband said pulling out from the dealer the car did not do it any more, but then he drove home 20 miles on the highway and when he picked me up there was a bit of a rattle... not as bad as before.

So now I remember there being a post about a set of maneuvers that are supposed to be performed after this transmission update is applied, to set the parameters or something. I guess I will find that and complete them in the AM, but it seems too late since the car had been driven over 20 miles. Maybe I should go back, ask them to re-update again and then do the maneuvers right away - has anyone had success with that?
Hey tmnCA,

I'm glad to hear that your dealership got to the bottom of the motorcycle noise; since you're now having a new issue with your transmission, I'm happy to jump in here and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll escalate your case and get your regional customer service manager involved.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
coldbear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78292
What I Drive: 2001 Burgandy ZXT

FF Reputation: 1 coldbear Good Standing Member
FMC had a recall in the early 2000-2001's with bad bearings from the Mexican producers. They{FMC} replaced the rear wheel bearings for nothing. It can happen.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Transmission rattle at low speeds? Have you considered using "S" instead of "D" when you're in town? It could be that the transmission is shifting into 2nd earlier than it should. That will cause a rattle with this type of transmission, but it is not a sign of any failure. It's a sign of a clutch. Manual transmission cars will make the same noise of the trans is shifted at low engine speeds so that the engine speed drops to 1k rpm or so. You get this massive groaning rattle sound, and the lower the rpm is- the louder the sound is, and the vibrations are stronger. My dad used to do it all the time in his old Honda, going about 5 mph in 2nd gear up the driveway. It made a loud grumbling sound like a dump truck.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->