What are you guys doing for extra keys? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
biederboat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9840
What I Drive: 2000 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 biederboat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What are you guys doing for extra keys?

Just curious what everyone is doing for an extra key? I went to local locksmith, they said they don't have any but I could get blanks off internet. It does get sort of confusing on eBay. There is a lot for 2012 Focus but not much if you search for 2013 (which I have). Did a search and it looks like the switchblade version is a bit of a hassle.

Anyone do some research and find a low-cost but quality key? Any issues with the cutting/programming?

Thanks,
BB

Old 11-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by biederboat View Post
Just curious what everyone is doing for an extra key? I went to local locksmith, they said they don't have any but I could get blanks off internet. It does get sort of confusing on eBay. There is a lot for 2012 Focus but not much if you search for 2013 (which I have). Did a search and it looks like the switchblade version is a bit of a hassle.

Anyone do some research and find a low-cost but quality key? Any issues with the cutting/programming?

Thanks,
BB
w/ my previous focus the dealer gave me 3 (free) keys so i had an couple xtra but w/ this care ive only the two... dealer (diff dealer) said they could make an extra but it costs.....
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Do the 2012 Ford Focus keys have any chips or whatever built in like they do in Hondas etc.?

If not I guess I could purchase a blank from eBay and then have it cut. The programmable buttons wouldn't work though I assume.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
Do the 2012 Ford Focus keys have any chips or whatever built in like they do in Hondas etc.?

If not I guess I could purchase a blank from eBay and then have it cut. The programmable buttons wouldn't work though I assume.
there is a chip in the key fob... u can't use a hardware store key
Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
there is a chip in the key fob... u can't use a hardware store key
So for something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BRAND-NEW-FOR...ht_1406wt_1140

I'd have to get it cut and then program it etc.?

Has anyone actually tried it?
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
goingFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75386
What I Drive: 2005 CD silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 goingFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Extra keys...

When I bought my used car it came w/ one key. The local dealer when I had the first oil change made a dup key, and programmed it for free. Really a true gift. I've since gotten two blank PATS keys off a Google search for "ford focus pats keys", and had them cut at a reasonable price at a shopping center "key kiosk". The guy did it for a really reasonable low fee. Then I followed the instructions in the owners manual and "programmed the two keys. Done...
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingFocus View Post
When I bought my used car it came w/ one key. The local dealer when I had the first oil change made a dup key, and programmed it for free. Really a true gift. I've since gotten two blank PATS keys off a Google search for "ford focus pats keys", and had them cut at a reasonable price at a shopping center "key kiosk". The guy did it for a really reasonable low fee. Then I followed the instructions in the owners manual and "programmed the two keys. Done...
Sweet, thanks for that! :)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Earlier Fords with PATS could only do 2 keys unless you bought an extra gizmo for inside the car.
The 2012 can do up to three keys.
Yeah they have to be programmed and have a chip.
Remember the new keys (2012) and later have the
laser cut' style key and not the old notches. So a key cutter would have to be able to cut laser cut keys. (not really a laser, but a different machine)

One good use for a non PATS key is using it to get the door open if you locked your keys in the car.
My last car I had a key cut which could ONLY open the door, and not turn the ignition. I kept it zip tied to the underbody for emergencies. (and actually used it once)
The Ti with push button start has some deal where you cannot lock your keys in the car if i remember my posts..
But not the regular ones.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
earlier PATS systems could have more then two programmed keys. Or at least that is what I recall reading in the Contour owners manual.

Now very early PATS system could program an additional key with only one key. Later versions require two keys to program another.

As of this time I haven't done anything about a spare key. I have however had a key made and I placed it under the car so that I could get in if I locked myself out.
- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
c5karl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105687
What I Drive: 2013 Hatchback SE, 5-speed, silver

FF Reputation: 1 c5karl Good Standing Member
For those looking for an affordable spare key without the wireless remote, this one worked fine on my 2013 SE:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110939181988...84.m1439.l2649

Not trying to steer traffic to that particular eBay seller. I'm sure others are selling keys that work just as well. But this is the only one I have experience with.

I had to go to five locksmiths until I found one that both had the cutting machine and someone who knew how to operate it. Once the key was cut, I was able to program it on the first try, using the instructions in the owner's manual.

It's worth making a spare before you need one: It takes two activated keys to program a new one, so if you wait until a key is lost or stolen, you'll need a dealer's help ($$$) to make a new key.

Bookmarks & Social Networks