Ridiculous fuel mileage - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ridiculous fuel mileage

I've got 3400 kilometers on a 2012 Ti hatch and I must say I'm far more than dissapointed in the mileage I'm getting. It's actually atrocious. I understand the driving style effects mileage...yadda...yadda..yadda, but the sticker says 7.3 L/per 100 KM city and I'm flirting with 11 L/100. 10.8 to be precise. Thats F-150 V8 territory. I don't drive like miss Daisy but I don't drive like The Bandit either. I know 7.3 is a perfect world but I'd expect something close to that albeit a little more. I'm lucky to get 400 kilometers to a tank with 150 of that on the highway. I got rid of a car in part to fuel mileage only to end up with the same thing, but with payments again. Its the DCT and it runs great and is a joy to drive mind you, but this mileage is really not sitting well with me.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I've got 3400 kilometers on a 2012 Ti hatch and I must say I'm far more than dissapointed in the mileage I'm getting. It's actually atrocious. I understand the driving style effects mileage...yadda...yadda..yadda, but the sticker says 7.3 L/per 100 KM city and I'm flirting with 11 L/100. 10.8 to be precise. Thats F-150 V8 territory. I don't drive like miss Daisy but I don't drive like The Bandit either. I know 7.3 is a perfect world but I'd expect something close to that albeit a little more. I'm lucky to get 400 kilometers to a tank with 150 of that on the highway. I got rid of a car in part to fuel mileage only to end up with the same thing, but with payments again. Its the DCT and it runs great and is a joy to drive mind you, but this mileage is really not sitting well with me.
i hear alot of folks complain about the mileage on their Ti but for some reason, not so many who own other models... my sister has a Ti and drives almost 100% city (greater NY) and gets 23-25 mpg consistently.. I have an SEL and drive mostly suburban and get EPA advertised mileage, usually upper 20s city ('cept in dead of winter when it's in the 23-24 range) and 39-42 hwy (slightly over legal limits) and avg 30 overall.. so im happy...
i've not idea why, discounting driving style and terrain that folks get such wildly differing mileage.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
IDare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94790
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium HB - SGM

FF Reputation: 1 IDare Good Standing Member
Do you have the Handling package? The 18" wheels do effect mileage by probably 1-2 mpg compared to the base 16" tires.

I have a TI - non-handling package. City mileages averages 26- 28mpg and highway 34 - 38mpg. I'm averaging 31.6mpg with 14K miles on the car.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
dutd33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104381
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dutd33 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDare View Post
Do you have the Handling package? The 18" wheels do effect mileage by probably 1-2 mpg compared to the base 16" tires.

I have a TI - non-handling package. City mileages averages 26- 28mpg and highway 34 - 38mpg. I'm averaging 31.6mpg with 14K miles on the car.
Wow that's awesome! 31.6 MPG is really good.

Just out of curiosity, a friend told me that bigger tires will actually give you better mileage, is that true?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
Just out of curiosity, a friend told me that bigger tires will actually give you better mileage, is that true?
A larger outer diameter on the tire? Highway gas mileage, yes. But you need to watch out for tire rub and bottoming out on bumps, etc. It also causes higher stresses on the engine/clutch/drivetrain as the car will be receiving higher loads than expected at the theoretical speed. So your odometer will be off and if something breaks, Ford could deny warranty claims.

That said, it lowers your city has mileage because the car requires more work to stop and go. Look at the tires on cars like the Tata Nano, Yaris, etc. They’re relatively small for a reason. The only times bigger tires help gas mileage in city driving are when you have a hybrid with regenerative braking. Then, the car can regain this otherwise lost energy. But, generators are not 100% efficient, so you will never gain as much energy as you spend if you just had smaller tires from the beginning. Did that make sense?

EDIT: Otherwise, keeping the same OD and getting bigger rims will lower gas mileage as will a wider tire.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutd33 View Post
Wow that's awesome! 31.6 MPG is really good.

I averaged better than that with my 18 inch stock wheels and Michelin ultra high performance 18 inch tires. Anyone that thinks changing the 18" low rolling resistance tires to other Focus OEM all season tire sizes will yield them a 1-2 MPG improvement may be sadly mistaken after spending the money. And they will definitely be missing a lot of braking and cornering performance.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
usc217
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101359
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 usc217 Good Standing Member
I have a sel with a dct and drive mainly highway and mpg stays between 36-39 mpg.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

I have the handling package. But, an 18" summer rated hard sidewall, low profile tire will no doubt offer less rolling resistance than other setups. That should aid in mileage unless the rims are made of cement. We are talking 21 mpg here. That is brutal. I'm not even taking it above 4000 rpm, and that's spirited driving. I'm in Ontario. Its pancake flat here. Like I said, car runs great and I really quite enjoy driving it but something is amiss here.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I have the handling package. But, an 18" summer rated hard sidewall, low profile tire will no doubt offer less rolling resistance than other setups. That should aid in mileage unless the rims are made of cement. We are talking 21 mpg here. That is brutal. I'm not even taking it above 4000 rpm, and that's spirited driving. I'm in Ontario. Its pancake flat here. Like I said, car runs great and I really quite enjoy driving it but something is amiss here.

I think something is broken besides the low tire pressure if you're getting 21 MPG on E10 gasoline (not E85 or anything w/ more than 10% alcohol). I have never received less than 28 MPG over a tankful or two in my Ti w/18" tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tires use a low rolling resistance rubber and design despite being an "Ultra-High Performance Sport" tire, so the drag everyone talks about when using those tires is not likely there at that 1-2 MPG level if they're any worse at all over the other OEM tires.. That tire gets a 9 out of 10 on rolling resistance ratings at Michelin. I recently put narrower 215/50x17" Blizzak WS-70 snow tires on my car and the gas mileage got slightly worse. That could be simply due to colder temps. though.

Normal MPGs for me lately with a full throttle blast here and there (every day) and my winter tires on are 29-37 (using mid-grade gas). The MPGs really drop in constant stop and go traffic so if all your driving is that that's a part of the problem too. I have around 5000 miles on mine and it seems to run better all the time. Yours will most likely improve too (you've only got 3400 kilometers on it) as the engine wears in (breaks in) more.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

So I decided to employ the K.I.S.S rule and check my tire pressure. Low and behold each one was 10 psi under the recommended cold tire pressure setting. I don't know if that's the entire problem, but I'm sure it's a start.

Bookmarks & Social Networks