Can't figure this out to save my life. Literally. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
walker_741
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104411
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 walker_741 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can't figure this out to save my life. Literally.

Ok I am new to the forum and have looked high and low throughout it to try and find an answer but I can't. I would appreciate any help as my next step is to junk the car and by a new one, not ideal since I can't really afford the new Focus I want.

I have a 01 ZX3 Zetec DOHC Automatic and since I bought the car two years ago it has had an idle problem that came and went randomly. If this helps at all when I bought the car the airbags had gone off which made the fuel pump cut off, all I did was hit the button and it reset. The car ran fine while under power and fine while at idle expect once in a while. I scanned the CL on car when I first bought it and it gave me P0171 System lean bank 1. Recently the car has become impossible to drive.

Here is a list of parts I have replaced: MAF, Spark Plugs (twice), Plug Wires, IAC, EGR Valve, EGR Valve Solenoid, Motor Mounts and Fuel Filter. I have also checked every vacuum hose on the car and there are no leaks and the hoses are not collapsing. After replacing all of this the rpms race, it accelerates by itself, and stumbles while I am driving. This makes it hard to stop since the rpms are not dropping as they should.

Now for the weird part of this all. One night as I was driving home I hit my brights and the car stumbled and jerked. I tried it again and the same thing happened. It stumbles pretty much whenever I turn on anything electrical in the car. Now yesterday coming home I went to pass a car and while in the throttle (going 40 mph) the car started to stumble and sputter.

I have begun checking the CPS and am wondering if this could lead to this at all or not. If so I have found that with the ignition on there is no power to the CPS connector and the CPS itself is at 401 Ohms. Could anyone possible tell me if this is correct or not.

I don't want to keep throwing money into it and not have the problem get any better but I would love to have my car back. Maybe I'm just not the mechanic I thought I was or something that I haven't checked is wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

Points 13,451, Level 75
Points: 13,451, Level: 75 Points: 13,451, Level: 75 Points: 13,451, Level: 75
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
check your pcv hose and there is a pigtail on your alternator that is also a common problem. check those and come back.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

Points 6,225, Level 51
Points: 6,225, Level: 51 Points: 6,225, Level: 51 Points: 6,225, Level: 51
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Open your hatch up, find the black rubber "boot" that goes from the car to the hatch door and peel back the boot exposing the wires and look for any cracks in the wires insulation. Wrap each cracked wire with electrical tape. It has solved many electrical related problems.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

Points 10,041, Level 66
Points: 10,041, Level: 66 Points: 10,041, Level: 66 Points: 10,041, Level: 66
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyScorpion View Post
Open your hatch up, find the black rubber "boot" that goes from the car to the hatch door and peel back the boot exposing the wires and look for any cracks in the wires insulation. Wrap each cracked wire with electrical tape. It has solved many electrical related problems.
this is indeed a common issue. But to me it sounds like your throttle position sensor is malfunctioning. it is approximately a $25 part at the local auto parts store.....just pay attention to the way the one on the car is pointing and install the new one exactly the same....if you install it pointing a different direction it will read incorrectly AND damage it.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
zaniah01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106323
What I Drive: 2000, white, zts, 2.0 DOHC Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 zaniah01 Good Standing Member
Can someone please tell me where I can buy the TPS only that fits a 2000 Ford Focus 2.0 DOHC Zetec engine, Automatic, without having to purchase the updated Throttle Body.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
zaniah01
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106323
What I Drive: 2000, white, zts, 2.0 DOHC Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 zaniah01 Good Standing Member
Let me also add I bought a TPS from Advance Auto parts, but it's not responding to it. Should I take a chance, and get one from the junk yard? Getting codes P01122, and P0120.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

Points 6,225, Level 51
Points: 6,225, Level: 51 Points: 6,225, Level: 51 Points: 6,225, Level: 51
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I will second the tps and replacement. My suggestion was based on the headlight and surging going hand in hand.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
walker_741
Focus Rookie

Ok I replaced the pcv valve and the line. The line I bought is a little pinched but not to bad temporary until I got to ford and buy the right one. The car still stumbles and idles high but not as bad as before. Tomorrow I will go get a new tps and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips
Old 11-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
fhh02a
HATCH NATION

Fan#: 57548
What I Drive: 2004, Pitch Black Zx3

Points 16,184, Level 81
Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81 Points: 16,184, Level: 81
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 13 fhh02a Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Check the coil pack for cracks.
I would , if you can, get the alternator checked while you're at it.
Most auto places can check it.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
walker_741
Focus Rookie

Ill check it and see if there are. I looked at it when I replaced the wires it seemed ok but I wasn't looking to hard at it. And I can test the alternator at work (aaa driver) so I will do that also.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.