Loud reverse rumble and cruising shutter - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #1
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Loud reverse rumble and cruising shutter

So ever since i took my car in to get my misbalanced clutches replaced, my car has been making a pretty noticeable noise when i shift into reverse when its cold out. Its like a grind or something hard vibrating around in my engine bay area. Its really weird but only happens when the temperature is cold outside. It does not happen if i am idling, but the moment i shift into reverse it makes the noise. It also not make the noise if i go straight into drive.

Also when i am cruising at about 35 mph, i can see my rpms fluctuation about 300-500 rpms randomly while at the same time making the same grinding/rattling noise. The noise also occurs if i cruse into a turn leading to a hill and give it some gas.
The noise, for whatever reason, make me think of a clutch puck that has come loose and is just like vibrating like crazy and wacking the clutch assembly as it rotates.
Im gonna take it in at some point but i have been way to busy to recently. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having these issues.

Il try and take a video some time so you guys can hear what i sounds like.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Question: Do you get the noise in R with your foot solidly on the brake?

35 MPH is the transition point between 5th and 6th if you are cruising (light throttle).
In other words <35 MPH = 5th and >35 MPH = 6th.

In that case, it is better not to stay at 35 MPH or you can shift to 'S' (which will keep it in 5th).
Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

yes my foot is solidly on the break. It never made the noise with my old clutches.

well thats the thing, its in 6th gear and not shifting. The rpms drop for a second, the noise occurs, then the rpms go back up. As with reverse, the rpm drop and noise never happened with my old clutch. its between 35-40 where is happens the most. But i can defiantly see where that speed could be causing some clutch action to occur. I wonder if its only one of the clutch packs thats causing the issue. my guess would be the 2-4-6 clutch pack, especially if reverse is initiated on that pack. I dont know how DCT does reverse work that well.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
sounds like same noise/problems i had when shop replaced my steering rack in august.noise started 40 miles after i picked car up from dealer; went right back to shop, service manager(shop was closed) thought it was transmission also ,ended up being sub-frame was loose causing noise ,bolts didn't get reinstalled properly(fell out) or not re-installed at all.took them 8 more hours to fix and realign sub-frame
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

you know, now that you mention that, it did sound like a bolt fell out while i was driving at some point this past week. hmmm now i am legitimately concerned.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A Garsh Dern 'Murican Flag, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Driving down Colorado St will do that... GO COUGS!

I had a bad thunking in my clutch on my 06 in reverse, but you have a totally different clutch. I'd check the slave cylinder though, that was my problem.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02

Bookmarks & Social Networks