2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Zetec DOHC Engine Oil Leak - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
gello88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102250
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gello88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 Zetec DOHC Engine Oil Leak

This has been known for a while for my car, but we cannot seem to find the source of the leak. We know that the leak comes from behind the engine block, at the passenger side. My brother looked at the bottom and saw that the highest point at which the oil seems to be leaking is at the oil pan area. Could it be that the gasket needs replacing? He also mentioned that there is an aluminum section that is part of the oil pan that could be cracked we don't know for sure. (I'm not very good with car parts). Can anyone give me suggestions as to where this leak could be coming from? As I said, so far our theory is the oil pan, gasket, and/or the aluminum part above the oil pan. Thank you.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gello88 View Post
We know that the leak comes from behind the engine block, at the passenger side.
Start simple: The oil filter and oil pressure warning light sensor are in this area. Before you start pulling anything apart, I'd ensure your oil filter is tightened properly and has a serviceable gasket. The gasket should be changed out during each oil filter change. Oil from the filter can dribble down to the pan.
To properly trace the source of any oil leak, clean and degrease the affected area and then look for the tell tale oil tracks.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
gello88
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 View Post
Start simple: The oil filter and oil pressure warning light sensor are in this area. Before you start pulling anything apart, I'd ensure your oil filter is tightened properly and has a serviceable gasket. The gasket should be changed out during each oil filter change. Oil from the filter can dribble down to the pan.
To properly trace the source of any oil leak, clean and degrease the affected area and then look for the tell tale oil tracks.
We replace the oil filter with a new one every oil change so the oil filter should not be the problem. Is there a gasket surrounding the place that the oil filter connects to or is the gasket built in on the oil filter?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The oil filter should come with a circular, thick rubber gasket that fits snugly in a groove. However, the mating surface between that gasket and the oil filter housing should be checked for smoothness.
(I have also seen instances where the old gasket was not removed by mistake (two gaskets stacked on each other) but they tend to leak violently when under running pressure. )
If the oil filter is correctly installed and tightened, have a look at the pressure switch near it (about level with the top of the filter, more towards center of car.)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I had a leak described exactly as yours, it turned out to be the pressure switch.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
gello88
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
I had a leak described exactly as yours, it turned out to be the pressure switch.
Oh okay, I'll have that checked as well. What about the oil drain plug? My brother said it has a gasket attached to it and he said it should be replaced every oil change. We haven't replaced the gasket in a while now, maybe start with that?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
PRSman25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103893
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 PRSman25 Good Standing Member
If your oil filter was double gasketed, your car would have bled out and died by now.
VERY prevalent and violent leak.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
If the oil drain plug was the issue ykur oil.leak would be right in sight and coming from the lower part of the pan where the drain plug is, not higher up on the pan.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #9
PRSman25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103893
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 PRSman25 Good Standing Member
Check the pressure switch!!!

And if that's not the case, take it to get an oil change and make sure they change the drain plug gasket.
Afterwards, clean everything that is oily, drive it about, and check for a leak or drip!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
gello88
Focus Enthusiast

Will check the pressure switch, seems to be located near where the leak is coming from. We just got an oil change (synthetic oil for the win!) but didn't replace the gasket, will replace it in next oil change for sure (or just get a whole new drain plug from ford to have a new start then just get new gaskets after that). I don't trust the parts in this car as we got it used a few years ago so any "new" problem that arises, we don't try to just replace gasket, we try to replace the whole related part ...

Bookmarks & Social Networks