Need advice on buying used 2012 Focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104678
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Need advice on buying used 2012 Focus

Hi all,
I searched forum and goggled but it's really hard to read all pages of big threads about MFT and SYNC and several others regarding DCT so please help me decide and make a correct choice.
I'm looking to buy used 2012 (I know most of issues have been fixed in 2013, but used 2013 are rare and much more expensive yet) Focus with DCT, but I'm not sure of several things. Please advice what are your thoughts and opinions regarding the following issues:

1. When exactly Ford fixed DCT issue - meaning starting from what date (month) of production should I look for a used Focus and how to check that date (VIN or else)? Are all cars affected and how to check it during test drive?

2. I would prefer Titanium, due to its intelligent access without a key, 17'' tires, rear view camera with rear/front park control, optional Navigation and winter package, BUT what about MFT - can it at least work with no issues with rear view camera and navigation or these have problems too, since they are used via MFT?

3. What about SYNC - it has problems too? All I need is BT phone to be able to call and answer handsfree and play some songs via USB.

4. Will Ford continue to support/update MFT and SYNC untill most of bugs are fixed or we are already left alone?

P.S. I'm looking for a sedan (white, silver or grey) preferably Titanium, but can settle for SEL, SE or even S if you guys would advice me to do so. In this case I would fit car with aftermarket rear view camera, remote start, intelligent access key e.t.c. but it will be pain in the ars

Thank you.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
1. I presume somewhere around job 2 of 2012 foci.
2. Few cars have issues with V3.0.2 with Nav and the rear view camera. Current issues are with climate control and audio screens, etc. Personally, I like my phone's Nav better, but the rear view camera is Jawesome.
3. Sync is separate. No issues there.
4. Allegedly.

I'm currently at a weird spot with the ownership of my car and so I chose not to recommend in-favor or opposed to you buying a Focus.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudiness View Post
Hi all,
I searched forum and goggled but it's really hard to read all pages of big threads about MFT and SYNC and several others regarding DCT so please help me decide and make a correct choice.
I'm looking to buy used 2012 (I know most of issues have been fixed in 2013, but used 2013 are rare and much more expensive yet) Focus with DCT, but I'm not sure of several things. Please advice what are your thoughts and opinions regarding the following issues:

1. When exactly Ford fixed DCT issue - meaning starting from what date (month) of production should I look for a used Focus and how to check that date (VIN or else)? Are all cars affected and how to check it during test drive?

2. I would prefer Titanium, due to its intelligent access without a key, 17'' tires, rear view camera with rear/front park control, optional Navigation and winter package, BUT what about MFT - can it at least work with no issues with rear view camera and navigation or these have problems too, since they are used via MFT?

3. What about SYNC - it has problems too? All I need is BT phone to be able to call and answer handsfree and play some songs via USB.

4. Will Ford continue to support/update MFT and SYNC untill most of bugs are fixed or we are already left alone?

P.S. I'm looking for a sedan (white, silver or grey) preferably Titanium, but can settle for SEL, SE or even S if you guys would advice me to do so. In this case I would fit car with aftermarket rear view camera, remote start, intelligent access key e.t.c. but it will be pain in the ars

Thank you.
If i was buying one right now, I'd skip all the tech goodies and get a stick.

It's a great car, and I'd imagine the later 2012s and 2013s have a lot of the little issues sorted.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Thanks for your quick replies guys!

So basically if I see Flex Fuel sign (on rear door?) and yellow fuel cap - it's safe to assume it's job 2 right? Also, as I understand job 2 production started around mid-April 2012?

Still I'm wondering what's the best way to feel this DCT issue during test drive?

to lifocus - thanks for the advice. I am researching now, but honestly I don't see any alternatives of overall great car with low fuel consumption. I really need good mpg because our other car is 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with average 17mpg! So I don't want anything larger than Ford Focus. I don't want something too small too - like smart or honda fit (though Fit is a great small car). So, I was looking into VW TDI - diesels are great for mpg but they suck in winter - and comfort is very important for me - I can't have a car who can't even get warm in winter if you mostly drive short trips. I also like Ford Focus visually (exterior and interior) compared to more ordinary Chevy Cruse or even new Elantra. Mazda is also out of question for me - since it has too firm ride - that's for enthusiasts, but I like more comfortable ride. So I'm pretty much stuck with Focus - and I'm glad, but MFT issue really prevents me for now from settling on Titanium so far.

to gkirk - I agree manual stick is free from issues but I want DCT. I'm from Russia and almost all cars have manual sticks there. I'm so fed up with working out my left leg and constantly jerking this stick in traffic during my 14 years of driving in Russia, that I'm never ever gonna have manual. However, for those sport enthusiasts who wants that extra work - I can only envy you guys, raised and spoiled with automatics transmissions so much, that manual here (in North America) is considered something sporty and good I can never understand that.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Have you looked into the new 2013 Ford Fusion. You can get a nice one for about the price of a Titanium. Comfortable car without the DCT.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Have you looked into the new 2013 Ford Fusion. You can get a nice one for about the price of a Titanium. Comfortable car without the DCT.
It's a very good car - but too big for me. I don't want anything bigger than Focus or with lower mpg than Focus. (Our other car is 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with 17mpg - no more big cars).
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudiness View Post
It's a very good car - but too big for me. I don't want anything bigger than Focus or with lower mpg than Focus. (Our other car is 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with 17mpg - no more big cars).
I love the look of the Fusion. Ford did a great job with it. How about the C-Max? Based off the Focus. Its got more head room, better fuel mileage, rear air conditioning. It uses a e-CVT instead of the DCT.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
How about the C-Max? Based off the Focus. Its got more head room, better fuel mileage, rear air conditioning. It uses a e-CVT instead of the DCT.
Great car in Europe - where it has diesel and EcoBoost engines. Here - it's a hybrid (if I'm not mistaken) - I tend to stay away from batteries and it's more expensive. If only Ford could offer here what it does offer in Europe - lots of great engines. Why Ford? WHY?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
Did you test drive the 2012 or 2013 mazda 3 ?
What about the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT or coupe ?

Edit: You also want a reliable car too!
I agree Mazda 3 is free of DCT issues and is a very nice car especially SKY one with good mpg rating. However, it's too firm or sporty in terms of ride - a little harsh to my back, I love more comfortable ride. Focus is just fine - slightly more and it's too harsh ride already.

I'm gonna also look at Elantra - that one has softer ride and good mpg too. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
Did you test drive the 2012 or 2013 mazda 3 ?
What about the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT or coupe ?

Edit: You also want a reliable car too!
With no due respect, get the hell out of here already. You are just a constant troll at this point and someone might as well call you out for it.

Back on topic however...

I bought my 2012 with 8500km on it. Job 1 build.

Not a single issue. No strut noises. No steering wheel issues. No suspension shenanigans. No MFT nonsense apart from the general MFT weirdness which happens ACROSS ALL MODELS.

DCT issues? Non.

I never took it in for a single TSB, didn't feel like I had to because it wasn't my first DCT so I knew what to expect and more importantly it wasn't ever weird or dangerous.

Obviously I still had plenty of warranty and as always you can purchase a extended warranty as well if you need to.

Do a extended test drive. I went with my dad to a dealership 25 minutes away. He drove it to a nearby mall, I drove it through the city in stop and go traffic to the city center airport (the kind of traffic I deal with daily) and he took it back home. Pondered for a bit, and I drove it back.

I had originally gone there to buy brand new, off the truck. I had no intention of actually buying the used model that they had given for the test drive but I was so impressed in the hours worth of driving and please with the price that I got that one.

So yes, there will be lemons. There will be issues. Be sure to drive the hell out of it and get a detailed service history and what not.

I also recommend yanking the battery wires to reset the computers if you do buy a used one because these computers learn based off your driving habits, you'll probably want a clear slate for your ownership just to make things easier.

And I believe carfax will state where it was bought/sold to originally.

Plus, there is always tell tale signs of rental use. The higher then normal KMs and the abused to death drivers seat.

Also the Focus is one of the quietest cars on the inside in the class. It feels like a more expensive car on the inside with how much isolation you are given, especially compared to the class of cars.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!

Bookmarks & Social Networks