2012 focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
lexi321cat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95012
What I Drive: 2012 candy red se 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 lexi321cat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 focus

Any one have Transmission problems with there 2012 focus like slipping? Its like driving a standard with the clutch going.But I have an automatic.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Fan#: 95090
What I Drive: DC

FF Reputation: 7 Chaos09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Use the search function. There are multiple threads on this. Looks in the MK3 section and you will find everything you need.
Sonic's MK3 Crew #9 Chaos!

www.DCSAutoworks.com
Old 10-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Kevastator
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104674
What I Drive: 01 F150. For now.

FF Reputation: 2 Kevastator Good Standing Member
I believe Ford did a recall for the 2012 automatics a little while back. Was your car affected by that, and if so, has it been repaired?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
lexi321cat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95012
What I Drive: 2012 candy red se 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 lexi321cat Good Standing Member
that was for roll back
Old 10-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Technically it IS a manual, and not an automatic. It may not be what you're used to, perhaps combined with an actual problem, but keep that in mind.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
This is probably where my future posts on this topic belong.

What is your build date? There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.

Unfortunately, the literature states nothing about the symptoms other than the leak. But from what I've heard from others that have this issue, their car makes a "grinding" or "rattling" noise while shifting (almost always into 2nd, 4th, 6th, and reverse due to their design sharing the same clutch) as well as slipping while accelerating on level ground and/or keeping steady speeds uphill.

If you don't have the transmission fluid under your vehicle, I presume we're in the same boat. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning because of the slipping and mentioned someone I knew had the same noise except their car was leaking transmission fluid and mine isn't. I hope that steered them in the right direction. I don't want to have to go in there and say "Here is TSB 11-12-13. This is the issue. Fix it." because I'm only 99% certain that it is and to go over their heads seems rude.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post

What is your build date? There is a TSB (11-12-13) published on December 23, 2011 that states some cars might have transmission fluid leaking where the bell housing meets the engine. If you have this, get it fixed.

Unfortunately, the literature states nothing about the symptoms other than the leak. But from what I've heard from others that have this issue, their car makes a "grinding" or "rattling" noise while shifting (almost always into 2nd, 4th, 6th, and reverse due to their design sharing the same clutch) as well as slipping while accelerating on level ground and/or keeping steady speeds uphill.

If you don't have the transmission fluid under your vehicle, I presume we're in the same boat. I dropped my car off at the dealership this morning because of the slipping and mentioned someone I knew had the same noise except their car was leaking transmission fluid and mine isn't. I hope that steered them in the right direction. I don't want to have to go in there and say "Here is TSB 11-12-13. This is the issue. Fix it." because I'm only 99% certain that it is and to go over their heads seems rude.
I have the grinding noise, and got a "transmission malfunction, service now" message some weeks ago. Where should I be looking for the fluid leak?... With this I would have enough arguments to get my transmission fixed.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccelaya View Post
I have the grinding noise, and got a "transmission malfunction, service now" message some weeks ago. Where should I be looking for the fluid leak?... With this I would have enough arguments to get my transmission fixed.
Take off the aero shield as if you were changing your oil (you'll need a T30 Torx bit). If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem! If it's thick / honey-colored that's just corrosion inhibitor, don't worry about it.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Take off the aero shield as if you were changing your oil (you'll need a T30 Torx bit). If there is a slick fluid leaking between the engine and bell housing, you've got a problem! If it's thick / honey-colored that's just corrosion inhibitor, don't worry about it.
Thanks a lot, I'll take a look this weekend
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
mk2dubvr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107382
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium '91 GTi

FF Reputation: 1 mk2dubvr Good Standing Member
Quote:

How exactly do you know bout the tsb's ? If you're a ford tech you should know that's not public information.

Bookmarks & Social Networks