New 2013, should I have gotten a manual? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 103950
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray hatch W/Blk pack

FF Reputation: 4 Drew'sFoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New 2013, should I have gotten a manual?

I love my car, Its gray with the black package and with the 2013 it comes with a very nice spoiler. I wanted a Manual but after concidering the driving I do, it was not practical. now people come up to me saying how nice the car is and if its a manual. Should i have gotten the manual, to you guys, does that change your take on a car once you find out its an automatic or is that just High school kids?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I passed up the exact Focus I wanted (Black SES with leather/sunroof/audiophile) because it had an automatic.

Manuals are just better. Sure I bought a car without a moonroof, no leather, and basic sound system. Its the wrong color too, but I don't even care because I'm having so much fun!

I'll buy an automatic when I'm old and my knees give out.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
I'm 40 and I wouldn't have it any other way but with a manual. Manuals are more involving and allow you more control. Also, I've had experience with this MTX-75 manual transmission before, and it is very durable.

With that said, no, it would not "change my take" on your car to find out it is an automatic. It would please me, however, if high school kids actually still value a manual transmission, as it would give me hope that they will still be offered in the future.

By the way--why did you post this in interior mods and updates?
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.

Last edited by TboneZX3; 10-03-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
I am 63 years old. I started driving 'manual' with little two stroke motocycles. (the 1960's craze, little motorcycles 50cc 100cc). And have always owned a manual transmission car EXCEPT once. And that car was the worst mistake i ever made. i sold it the moment it was no longer upside down to get another manual transmission.
I drive mostly in city traffic. Who cares if I have to row a lot to get anywhwere. It is the ONLY way i like it.
It does not matter to me what anyone drives. Just what "I" drive.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
glocker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102954
What I Drive: '12 Sonic Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 glocker Good Standing Member
Manuals are better! They're way more enjoyable to drive. Also, I think it makes you a better driver as you have to pay more attention to what you're doing. Which is a plus.
That being said, I don't care what anyone else drives.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 103950
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray hatch W/Blk pack

FF Reputation: 4 Drew'sFoci Good Standing Member
I love manuals! My friend has one and I love to drive it! I'm a senior in high school that pays the car described above by myself! I've always wanted a new car! With the 27,000 price tag I could have bought what my first choice was which was a used Subaru sti! Screw 17 yr old insurance!!! While the manual being cheaper which could have severely reduced my monthly payment! I saw my exact car at a ford lot and I just had to have it! Best looking focus hatch I've seen! So I saved up for a couple more months and I pulled the trigger! With the Sony, black package, and te winter package on gray the only way I could have gotten a manual would have been with a special order! I live in southern Mi so it would not have taken that long! To me to have a manual just was not that big of a decision to wait for! But rest assured when this car is all paid for and almost dead a third peddle will be a must!!! And for this being on this this forum! I've only been on here for a week! My bad!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci View Post
But rest assured when this car is all paid for and almost dead a third peddle will be a must!!!
Better hope that manuals still around by then.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
2kwik4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102523
What I Drive: '12-Sonic Blue-5dr/5spd/203A/Roof

FF Reputation: 1 2kwik4u Good Standing Member
I'm a little the other way.

I have the opinion that anthing under ~200hp should have a manual to keep the "fun to drive" portion of my driving up. I'm doing so much highway commuting with this car, the 6th gear in the Automatic would be saving me some fuel, and I'm not shifting all that much anyway.

When I was delivering Pizza in the Audi (long story on why I was doing that). The automatic trans there SUCKED. Boring as snot in an already boring scenario. I would've really enjoyed a manual there.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #9
Norcalrallyx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99260
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2

FF Reputation: 1 Norcalrallyx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I'm a little the other way.

I have the opinion that anthing under ~200hp should have a manual to keep the "fun to drive" portion of my driving up. I'm doing so much highway commuting with this car, the 6th gear in the Automatic would be saving me some fuel, and I'm not shifting all that much anyway.

When I was delivering Pizza in the Audi (long story on why I was doing that). The automatic trans there SUCKED. Boring as snot in an already boring scenario. I would've really enjoyed a manual there.
LOL! I'm currently delivering pizza in my focus manual! Short story....extra cash on the side. Only adds bout 400 miles/month on the odometer. I love the pull this car has when leaving it in 2nd or 3rd gear past 4000 rpm
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Ausv7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84217
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus, 1994 black F150

FF Reputation: 3 Ausv7 Good Standing Member
In all honesty i worked for ford and all the crap i heard on the new automatics is horrible. I have had my manual for 34k miles and not a single issue. I just think they poorly designed everything to integrate with the auto trans.

I would go manual on these 3rd gen focus cars. after all the crap i have heard about the auto i am glad i ordered a manual and waited the 2 months to get mine when they first came out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks