Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it

So I've had more issues with the shuddering than I could even explain, and it all started with the TSB for the transmission update. Since that point, it's shuddered mostly every time I start from a stop. It's obnoxious, and makes the car feel cheap and crappy when people are riding in it. I've had it in the shop probably 3-4 times for this issue and every time they've said "It's supposed to act like that" and that the computer displays no errors.

So what did I do today? Turned off Traction Control. The second I turned it off, the shuddering from a stop no longer happened. I drove my 15 minute commute to work without a *single* shudder. The shifts were smooth, the starts and stops were smooth, and even mashing the gas when going into a corner from a stop or slow roll didn't make the car buck around like it was having a stroke.

Turn it back on? And the shuddering happened the very next light. Turned it back off, and no more shuddering.

Is it possible that this issue is somehow related to the Traction Control module initiating when it doesn't need to? I have lighter wheels on the car than stock (Sparco Assetto 18), but didn't have an issue with this until the TSB update. The lighter wheels might fool the computer into thinking it's losing traction (since there's less friction and resistance on the drive shaft), but I really can't postulate an answer beyond that.

For those of you with "Shuddering" issues, please help me test this by just disabling the Traction Control and driving like you normally would. If it's gone (or at least severely reduced), post back and let me know. Maybe Ford needs to issue a recall for the *CORRECT* part in the car this time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Points 519, Level 10
Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Interesting, mine is essentially acting like yours.
Since the TSB, once it has warmed up a little bit, she'll will shudder some in first gear. I'm @ 23,400 miles, so with a fair bit remaining on the powertrain warranty, I've been biding my time ... waiting / wondering if it will get worse. I'll go to the dealer again when it warrants it, but my sense is that they'll tell me the tranny is fine.

I've got to run some errand this morning, I'll wait 'till she starts to shudder and try your fix.
Hatch Nation #174
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
So I've had more issues with the shuddering than I could even explain, and it all started with the TSB for the transmission update. Since that point, it's shuddered mostly every time I start from a stop. It's obnoxious, and makes the car feel cheap and crappy when people are riding in it. I've had it in the shop probably 3-4 times for this issue and every time they've said "It's supposed to act like that" and that the computer displays no errors.

So what did I do today? Turned off Traction Control. The second I turned it off, the shuddering from a stop no longer happened. I drove my 15 minute commute to work without a *single* shudder. The shifts were smooth, the starts and stops were smooth, and even mashing the gas when going into a corner from a stop or slow roll didn't make the car buck around like it was having a stroke.

Turn it back on? And the shuddering happened the very next light. Turned it back off, and no more shuddering.

Is it possible that this issue is somehow related to the Traction Control module initiating when it doesn't need to? I have lighter wheels on the car than stock (Sparco Assetto 18), but didn't have an issue with this until the TSB update. The lighter wheels might fool the computer into thinking it's losing traction (since there's less friction and resistance on the drive shaft), but I really can't postulate an answer beyond that.

For those of you with "Shuddering" issues, please help me test this by just disabling the Traction Control and driving like you normally would. If it's gone (or at least severely reduced), post back and let me know. Maybe Ford needs to issue a recall for the *CORRECT* part in the car this time.
Very interesting. Will try and report back.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

bsp_53, I'm close to 27k miles, so around the same boat. Give it and shot and let me know if it helps at all.

Smizak, Thanks! Maybe we can actually figure this out.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
bsp_53
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87580
What I Drive: 2012 FF Titanium HB, Yellow Blaze

Points 519, Level 10
Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10 Points: 519, Level: 10
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 bsp_53 Good Standing Member
Quote:
bsp_53, I'm close to 27k miles, so around the same boat. Give it and shot and let me know if it helps at all.
Today was inconclusive (didn't drive enough to get reliable results). Tomorrow will tell the tale for sure. I'll keep you posted.
Hatch Nation #174
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:

Smizak, Thanks! Maybe we can actually figure this out.
Tried it, still slips and marbles in a blender for me. Maybe I actually have a component problem.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,946, Level 33
Points: 2,946, Level: 33 Points: 2,946, Level: 33 Points: 2,946, Level: 33
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Tried it, still slips and marbles in a blender for me. Maybe I actually have a component problem.
Same here. I think I noticed less shudder off the line, but when I turned TC back on I couldn't get it to shudder again. So it's pretty much inconclusive for me. Clutch still sounds like marbles in a blender, though.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Very cool--this looks promising! I hope this is a breakthrough for those of you with this annoying issue.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

I plan on hitting the gas station down the street for a Monster at lunchtime (even though I'll be losing my prime parking spot and I'm actually getting lunch at work today)...so I'll let you know if it's still working fine with the TC off.

Also, we need a physical button or switch to enable/disable TC. I hate going through the dash menu for it.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:

Could it be that with the wheel+tire combo you have, your call falls outside the diameter of wheel that the TC is expecting? My understanding is that the car expects a certain number of revolutions at a given speed, and if its not getting that number, the TC will start doing things.

I had a similar problem with my bimmer's traction control bc i had wheel+tires that were a bit too big (speedometer was off too).

It's just a thought.

Edit: Also the most recent flash for the DCT was also for the ABS/traction control. So maybe there is something at issue there.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.