2.3 MTX-75 Bolt pattern - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
gmardiro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 15962
FF Reputation: 1 gmardiro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2.3 MTX-75 Bolt pattern

Does anyone have or know where to find a bell housing bolt pattern for an 2.3L manual MTX-75? The dealer wasn't helpful. I have the old transmission out and rebuilt one in but one or two of the bolts don't seem right. One in particular is too long for any particular hole. Amateur move I know but I had them out in a sequence in a piece of cardboard. Not sure what the heck happened.

Any help is appreciated.

2003 2.3L Manual zx5

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well then, take a measuring tape to the center of the holes on the old one and one to the one installed in the car. I always used a fabric tape- like what is used for measuring sewing projects. Then you can put it around the trans and measure the distances between all of the holes at once- example: 1= 1", 2=6", 3=11" and so on. Then you can wrap that same tape around another transmission to see if the centers of the holes line up with what you measured on the other more easily than measuring the distance between each set of holes.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
gmardiro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 15962
FF Reputation: 1 gmardiro Good Standing Member
I think I follow, but how does that help me ensure the right bolt goes in the right spot? That's what I'm really looking for. I figured a bolt pattern might show the hardware that goes into each location.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,976, Level 71
Points: 11,976, Level: 71 Points: 11,976, Level: 71 Points: 11,976, Level: 71
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
I've seen parts diagrams that detailed, but unfortunately only for motorcycles (Honda for example).

The Ford computer parts diagrams I've seen are VERY poor in that regard, for example i had to find a part number in this forum for my wiper relay since the dealer's parts diagram simply listed all the relays in that area by part number without describing the function or location of ANY of them!

The parts person mentioned that the only way he can tell which one is needed is for a mechanic to pull the old one to match numbers!

When facing an issue like yours, my usual approach is to loose fit all the bolts looking for similar amount of shank exposed when they are only screwed in one turn. Which goes where usually becomes obvious.

Did the ones installed so far seem to tighten up properly?

Sometimes when a bolt has to go through a couple parts you can get a false sense of the proper length when it screws into an unthreaded intermediate piece instead of the threaded hole in a part further in.

Using a small rod to check hole depth can determine if this is happening to you.

I'm betting this is what's happening, and the long bolt belongs in one of the holes a shorter one is in now....

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.