This is odd - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
Sapperstang
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 27847
FF Reputation: 1 Sapperstang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (-1)
This is odd

Hey fellas. Car is a 03 ZX3 w/160K miles. Bought new. Wife went to leave for work and car was dead. Yesterday she was cleaning the interior and took a long break and left the doors open. Figured the interior light killed the battery so I jumped it off my truck. Started right up.

I let it run awhile to charge the battery but when I went out after about 30 mins the car was not running and the battery was dead again. Painters were coming to I jumped it again to move it out of the way.

Noticed right off that anything electrical that was on caused an odd clicking near the fuse panel area as well as a noise that sounded like static (with car running). Hatch wasn't latched so the dash light for that was on which caused the noise. Pushing the brakes (lights) caused it too. Turn the headlights on and it immediately killed the engine. Battery was dead again as well.

Any thoughts fellas? I found the clicking at the fuse panel odd. Hopefully something simple. Never have had an electrical issue with this car before. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Could be a bad alternator or a weak battery, even really corroded terminals on the battery
Still here!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Sapperstang
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Battery is only a year old. Terminals are not corroded. A bad alternator will cause the noises in the fuse area when electrical devices are on?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
There are several relays at the fuse panel.

If one of them was experiencing an intermittent open (or short) condition, you would hear the relay(s) clicking on/off.

I am going with loose connection or bad ground, the clicking is just a symptom of the general problem.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Sapperstang
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'll try to look around for those issues. Car has had no issues like this before.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
the phantom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 73988
What I Drive: 2007, Panter Black, focus

FF Reputation: 1 the phantom Good Standing Member
would suggest checking the alternator first,its an easy check if you have a multimeter to see if it is charging, are you sure the interior light is off ??? (just checking) and you could also check to see if there is a draw from the battery by disconnecting the negative battery and using your multimeter to check that, if it is a draw from the battery well that a hole different ball game but dose sound very like the alternator only had a Renault last month doing the exact same thing

hope this helps

the phantom
Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Sapperstang
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I jumped it again when I got home. It started right up and seemed fine. But after idling for about ten minutes it started to act up again. Popping static noise over the speakers and the clicking from the fuse panel. Try to move it and the engine stutters. I turned it off and when I went to try to restart it it was dead.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45853
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 oshoguno Good Standing Member
Sounds like the alternator. Jump it and let it idle for a few minutes. Put a multimeter on the battery terminals. Anything less than 12.5vdc means it isn't being charged. If it is over 12.5 then shut the car off and check again. If it is at 11 and dropping before your eyes then you have a faulty battery.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
If the alternator is good it should hold at 14 volts on a 12 volt battery. It does sound a lot like an alt issue. Do you have am aftermarket head unit/speakers/amplifier?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Sapperstang
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Car is bone stock. Battery was tested and was good. It was also fully charged but the car acts dead with the exception of the blinking light on dash.

Bookmarks & Social Networks