04 focus make lot of noise when cold - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
3ft3ft
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103904
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 2.3l 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 3ft3ft Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
04 focus make lot of noise when cold

I have a 2004 ZX3 2.3l 5spd. Whne I start the car cold it sounds fine, put in rev. to back out the drive way...fine, Put in 1st gear let out clutch and weird noise, its a rumbling sound in 1,2,3 gears. when it warms up it gets better, but if I get on the gas hard it will do it any time....I know this is hard to figure with out hearing Just woundering if their has been a common problem that somebody can let me know to start looking....Whne I picked it up I took to mechanic and had the plugs, fuel filter, took the intake off and cleaned, good look over while on lift and new tires...Clutch does not seeem to slip, Throw out bearing?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Having a 2.3 5-spd. myself, this description doesn't fit any of the noises I've experienced or heard of as of yet....

A bit of a "squeak" from the clutch on the first couple engagements after it's sat in "corrosive" conditions overnight (wet weather) that I attribute to rusty clutch is the only "odd" noise that's similar I've noticed.

Kinda like the odd noises & response you get on the first couple brake applications when you can SEE that the rotors are a bit rusty from similar conditions.

More description would be helpful in guessing...

As these get older we're sure to see some "new" issues, but many might be similar enough to problems with others to allow a BIT of an "educated" guess....

Luck!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
3ft3ft
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103904
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 2.3l 5sp

FF Reputation: 1 3ft3ft Good Standing Member
Thanks for the responce...I did some reading on hear and I am starting to think its a drive axle issue.....sounds like 2 other have heard similar noise and the drive axle not seated propperly was the issue....I am not sure how that can float around...But never had the front apart yet to know how they are put togther.....Its sending a vibration through the car i can feel in the peddles...so its either clucth or drive axle related as far as I can tell....But I have been wrong before...Going into the shop Friday.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->