Floor the engine but car doesn't go! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
GangGreen3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101652
What I Drive: 2001 Focus LX

FF Reputation: 1 GangGreen3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Floor the engine but car doesn't go!

I have an 01 Ford focus Zetec with a Manual transmission (just over 70k miles) and when I am driving and put the pedal to the floor, the engine will rev way up quickly but the car barely accelerates. Can anyone please help me as to what might be the problem or how to check for a solution?

I haven't had the car too long so haven't put it in for a service yet. Sometimes if I let go of the gas and try flooring it again it will accelerate and rev up normally or just when driving in general it will rev up normally with the pedal to the floor. I barely have to push the clutch in to change gears so I presume the clutch is new enough? It has only been happening recently. It happens more often when the engine is cold.

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hmmm, it sounds like either the clutch is bad or the slave cylinder is sticking. Do you ever smell a burning smell, like hot brakes, shortly after this happens?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
GangGreen3
Focus Enthusiast

I was actually thinking the clutch because I was shifting gear once and it grinded even when the clutch was fully pressed. That only happened once or twice though.

I will check today while driving to work but from my recollection I don't remember any burning smell at all while driving.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
GangGreen3
Focus Enthusiast

Ok it seems to happen when the engine is warm. Tonight after work I decided to drive down some back roads and rev the engine and it just shoots straight up vey easily across all the gears even half throttle. I could smell a bit of burning so I quickly drove home easily.

Can anyone please help me? I am getting quite worried now.

Edit: The car has a long crank, I replaced the spark plugs and battery so I think it is possibly the fuel filter that needs to be replaced.

Do you think that the transmission is going or is it just lack of fuel?

Last edited by GangGreen3; 09-14-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Your clutch disc is slipping, that is the problem.
It is a normal wear and replacement item at some point in a car's life.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
slow3v
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101709
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SE MTX

FF Reputation: 1 slow3v Good Standing Member
Could be rear main seal leaking on the clutch. You saying it happens more when the car is warm makes me think that.

My old Golfs rear main seal went and doused the clutch in oil. Gripped fine cold, drove for a few miles and it got awful. You'll need a new clutch if that is the case.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow3v View Post
Could be rear main seal leaking on the clutch. You saying it happens more when the car is warm makes me think that.

My old Golfs rear main seal went and doused the clutch in oil. Gripped fine cold, drove for a few miles and it got awful. You'll need a new clutch if that is the case.
It slips worse after the car is warmed up because the clutch has been slipping during that warm-up time, heating up from slipping, then slips really bad until it can't be ignored. the driver notices "It slips after it warms up"
Old 09-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
GangGreen3
Focus Enthusiast

So you guys don't think it's the transmission? It has only happened recently and the car easily changes into the next gear or so it seems to anyway.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
20Focus13
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92454
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3,2012 GT500 750HP

FF Reputation: 1 20Focus13 Good Standing Member
I had 180,00 on mine and the throwout bearing started making noise. I did not take any chances and bought a entire clutch kit. I took it apart and the old clutch disk was almost the exact same thickness as the new one. I ended puting all of the kit in the car but I find it odd that a clutch would wear out in only 70,000 miles unless the original driver did not know how to drive a stick. Maybe it is a rear seal but look for signs of oil at the bottom of the bell housing. The clutch is easy to install if you work on cars but try to check for the oil leaks and also make sure you clutch slave cylinder has not signs of leaking.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
GangGreen3
Focus Enthusiast

Last night I did notice oil when looking down from the engine near where the cat converter is (from looking under the car it was straight ahead infront of me). I'm not the best with cars so i'm not too sure what it part of the car it was. I checked my fluids and they all seem to be perfect. The original driver was from the city so maybe that had an effect?

Bookmarks & Social Networks