Weightlifters/bodybuilders - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

Points 5,950, Level 49
Points: 5,950, Level: 49 Points: 5,950, Level: 49 Points: 5,950, Level: 49
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Weightlifters/bodybuilders

Any weightlifters/bodybuilders on the forum?

I'm just getting back into it after a two month break due to a severed tendon in my right hand.

I consider myself a novice. After two years of dabbling at the gym, I spent three months on Rippetoe's starting strength program and learned how to eat a disgusting amount of food. Within three months I made these gains:

All weights are three sets of five reps:

Squat: 180 -----> 295
Bench: 100 -----> 170
Press: 80 -------> 130
Pullups: <1 -----> 8

Also 1x5 Dead: 180 ------> 325

Not breaking any records with these numbers by any means, but I was pretty pleased with my progress. I'm 36 and this was my first time seriously devoting effort weight training. People definitely started noticing.

I lost about 20% off all my numbers after two months out, but I'm convinced I can get back up to where I left off within a month.

I'd like to hear from other members about their gains, the programs they use, and what's worked for them/hasn't worked for them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am 39 5'7" and programmed hopped which resulted in no gains. I finally found a program that made sense, burnt fat and increased my size at the same time. My six pack is coming in and my last dead lift was at 275lbs. That was not my max, but since I was alone at the gym, I didn't want to push it. I am following www.jasonferruggia.com program and diet and the results are unbelievable. This is the first time I am making gains like this, and I am constantly improving and so far, no injuries.

Pullups I can do 15 or so, depending on what I am working on that day. Usually I do 10 pullups for 5 sets. I don't know what my bench is yet, since the program I am on does not focus on that. But my squat is improving on a weekly basis and so far I am at 315 and climbing.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus
Old 09-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
This is a good workout to increase your bench.http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm I got my bench up to 375 x 1 doing this workout off and on. You have to change up your workout ever 6-8 weeks or whenever you stop seeing gains. ie: instead of doing 3 sets of 12 with a light weight do 4-5 sets of 3-6 reps with as much weight as you can and barely get the last rep. Also creatine is a good supplement. I would take it about 30 mins into my workout mixed with about 12-16oz. of Kool-aid. That is the only time I would drink Kool-aid though. Because at that point in your workout your muscles are depleted of carbs and this works really well as a pick me up. This also helps get the creatine in your muscles. I would also drink some whey protein mixed with milk as soon as I finished working out. Having said all that. I haven't worked out in over 5 yrs. :(
Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Black&Tan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 9971
What I Drive: '06 Liquid Grey SES hatch

Points 5,950, Level 49
Points: 5,950, Level: 49 Points: 5,950, Level: 49 Points: 5,950, Level: 49
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 8 Black&Tan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
I've heard from people that you need to change up your workout every 6-8 weeks, but that's not my experience. I was adding weight to the bar every workout for three months before my injury and felt that I had probably another three months of gains left before I would plateau.

I do think that you should switch programs after you stop making gains for a while, just haven't gotten to that point yet.

I totally understand about taking years off. I lifted in college stopped after I graduated for about 5 years too. It's hard to get back into it. There's always an excuse not to go.

For myself, I I had to set a date and ease back into it . That first workout sucked and I was sore as hell for the next two days, but after a while you get into a routine and you start seeing gains and it helps keep you going.
HN #171
Old 09-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
Yes when you first start working out you can use the same workout for quite a while. The 6-8 weeks is more for after you start hitting plateaus.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

There are certain workouts that should be the staple of everyone's program. Dead lifts and squats develop so many parts of the body and increases both your strength and size. Want bigger biceps, squat, want a bigger back, deadlift. If you want to develop a certain body part that women will find attractive, develop your back, that is the first thing women see.

There should also be a de-loading phase every 4 weeks, this will help with recovery and increasing your mass by allowing the muscles time to grow. During your recovery do the same program but with about 40% of the weight as previously done.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
elvis100
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104243
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, i10

FF Reputation: 1 elvis100 Good Standing Member
Running or walking which one is more beneficial?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis100 View Post
Running or walking which one is more beneficial?
It boils done to what are your goals, injuries and diet. Diet consists about 80% of your fat loss and muscle gains. Exercise is about 10%, sleep and genetics another 10%.

Walking while fasting is awesome and very effective, running is very jarring to the body and I always suggest hill sprints or simply interval sprints.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
sporadic
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

Points 12,431, Level 72
Points: 12,431, Level: 72 Points: 12,431, Level: 72 Points: 12,431, Level: 72
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Walking while fasting is awesome and very effective, running is very jarring to the body and I always suggest hill sprints or simply interval sprints.
Running too slowly is jarring (aka jogging). Running at the proper stride for your height should be fairly smooth and not hard on your knees/shins etc.
Walk, run, or sprint but don't jog.
Hill runs are great for building the calves. The downhill part can be very jarring on the knees though if you don't control your pace.

I can run a 10K with no shin splints. I can "fake" run beside my 4 year old son (while he runs) using choppy, short strides and my shins will hurt within seconds.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
sporadic
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

Points 12,431, Level 72
Points: 12,431, Level: 72 Points: 12,431, Level: 72 Points: 12,431, Level: 72
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Great gains in a short time, Black&Tan. At 36, don't be concerned with how fast you can build up. I'm 32 and have been lifting since I was 13. After numerous injuries I can safely recommend not to get caught up so much in the numbers.

In November 2011 I got in to running, which is a big change for a slow-moving lifter. I'm not lifting much at all at the moment and focusing on running and body-weight movements such as pushups and pullups and mixing pushups into my runs.

Today's workout:

5K rail train run + ~200 pushups in 33:08.

Breakdown:
0:00 pushups, then walk/jog
1:00 sprint
2:00 pushups, then walk/jog
3:00 sprint
repeat

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.