02 SVTF. Busted timing belt. Whole car, or not at all - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Marketplace > Buy - Sell - Trade > Archive

Archive Archive of all expired Buy-Sell-Trade postings.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Gatecrasher
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 34434
What I Drive: 02 SVTF, 94 Stealth R/T Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Gatecrasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
02 SVTF. Busted timing belt. Whole car, or not at all

I'll keep this short and sweet. My car had 120,5xx on it. Timing belt went at low speed pulling out of a gas station. It had stalled a couple times previous, and I was hoping to limp it home. I've got at least 4 bad valves. Maybe more. Haven't pulled the head off yet.

Car is located in southern Kansas City, MO.

$2500 for everything. NO TRADES. I AM NOT PARTING IT OUT. PERIOD.

I can fix this car, but I really don't want to. I've got a driveway full of Mitsubishis and I am honestly sick and tired of fixing cars. It's time for some house cleaning....but I'm not going to lose my butt on this either.

If anyone wants a killer deal on modified '94 Stealth twin turbo, let me know. (I'm not parting that out either)

If nobody is interested in the Focus, I'll just fix it and keep driving it. No trades, no haggling. In God I trust...all others pay CASH. You either want it or you don't.

If anyone wants to deal with shipping, it's all on your end, and the car doesn't leave my garage until the funds clear.

Anyway,

02 SVT Focus, 3 door. Sonic blue
Clean title, but body is a little rough. The clearcoat on the passenger side rear quarter is fogged. It had a bad paint repair before I bought it.
Rear bumper is an SVT part, but is black. Front bumper is a POS Wings West urethane something or other.
I have a stock SVT front end on the shelf, still in primer. Hasn't been installed since I bought it from the salvage yard. Condition is virtually perfect. I also have a set of Xenon headlights I got at salvage. Lenses are fogged, but everything works. I also have the connectors to install them. I have both fog lights and the grille for the bumper, but one of the fog lights has a mangled bracket. It'll need to be replaced.
Mechanically stock, except for an AEM intake.
Originally had black/blue interior. Swapped in front and rear Recaros. Doors still have blue inserts
Brand new Firestone Firehawk Wideoval AS tires back in April
17" Enkei RPF1 rims
I have 3 stock silver SVT rims. Fourth one was damaged by road debris.

Brand new timing belt kit. I had it on the shelf ready to install, but had to keep driving the Focus while I kept working on one of the Mitsubishis. I installed the belt and pulleys as part of diagnosing the timing belt problem, but I've never even so much as tried to crank it since then.

Brand new water pump still in the box.

Timing belt tool kit. Used once. See above.

Spare ECU and key. Current ECU and spare are both RLA1 if anyone cares.

I'll post pictures if there's any serious interest.

Post here or PM me with questions.

If this post is still around in a few weeks, it means the car hasn't sold and I fixed it and it's my daily driver again.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

Points 1,526, Level 22
Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22 Points: 1,526, Level: 22
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So glad to see your majesty is ready to bless someone with an opportunity to buy those heavenly wheels of awesomesonic SVT...

Good people of FF, thou shall feast and dance in joy!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
dylde
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91539
What I Drive: Red 03 svt

FF Reputation: 1 dylde Good Standing Member
how do you expect to get serious interest if there are no pics to see? that would be foolish of the buyer...

Old 09-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Gatecrasher
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

"Hi. I'm pretty interested in the car. Can you please post some pictures? Especially of X Y and Z"

I didn't think it was that hard. I thought we'd all have a pretty general idea of what a stock sonic blue SVT looked like.

I didn't take the time to post a bunch of photos right off the bat, because for all I know, I'm asking way too much and nobody will want it unless I give it away or part it out. I'm not parting it out because that'll be a bigger headache than fixing it. Just trying to find a head for this thing is already turning into a big headache.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
rangerbay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76247
What I Drive: 2001 white zts,2001 white wagon,

Points 208, Level 4
Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4 Points: 208, Level: 4
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 rangerbay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The way he describes it, who would want it? Lots of miles, bad paint, bumpers of all types and colors, and a bad engine! What a deal!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Gatecrasher
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

If you're not interested, S T F U and move on.

It looks like this, except it has a black rear bumper now.

Since I'm sure some internet detective will ask, these pics are a few years old. Hence the MI license plates. I've been in MO since 2008.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #7
samus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53177
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

Points 126, Level 2
Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2 Points: 126, Level: 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 samus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'll give you $1000 for it. It'll cost me $500 to transport to Chicago, so that's something I had to factor in.

I have a crashed 2002 SVTF with 72K and would be putting my engine in this. Considering my car, although crashed, is in far less molested condition, I couldn't offer more as I will be spending quite a bit of time and money returning it to stock. Fixing the paint alone could cost $1000. I haven't seen the interior, either, and since mine is red and yours is likely blue (since the car is blue) it'd be kind of funky to use my interior as a donor.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
samus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Not interested? My offer is solid. You'll probably get $300-$500 if you junk it, so I'm offering at least double your next avenue unless you spend the time parting it out.

I know you want more for it. Who wouldn't. But considering how much work it needs, and that it isn't hard to find a running ZX3 for ~$1500 that has matching paint on all body panels, I feel $1000 cash is pretty generous for a car with a blown engine.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
speedracer ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85172
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue ST & 2003 SVT

Points 3,776, Level 38
Points: 3,776, Level: 38 Points: 3,776, Level: 38 Points: 3,776, Level: 38
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 speedracer ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I think 2500 is a fair price if you parted you could get that much if not more! Stay strong on your price people always want stuff for free or little to nothing. SVT is leaps and bounds past a Zetec Focus! That's why a SVT is worth more now, because it cost more to begin with! Go buy a Zetec and swap it. GLWS
Give Rep If You've Been Helped

Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
samus
Focus Enthusiast

Points 126, Level 2
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer ZX3 View Post
I think 2500 is a fair price if you parted you could get that much if not more! Stay strong on your price people always want stuff for free or little to nothing. SVT is leaps and bounds past a Zetec Focus! That's why a SVT is worth more now, because it cost more to begin with! Go buy a Zetec and swap it. GLWS
Listen,

I'm not here to argue, but since you are:

1) a running SVT, unmolested, all one color, with his mileage, is $3000 on eBay. How is he going to get $2500 for a car that needs $2500 worth of work to turn into a $3000 car?

2) a zetec > svt conversion isn't out of the question, and I've considered it, but it is more work because I have to swap a lot more from my donor car. the front knuckles, axles, engine wiring harness (this is a big headache to swap) and the exhaust are all very time consuming.

3) he clearly doesn't want to part it out. he said so twice. but I agree, with a little time, he could part out very few things to get what I'm offering him, such as wheels/tires ($400-$500) the recaro interior ($300-$400) and the exhaust ($200) but all are very difficult to ship and are the only remaining things worth money. he could forget about the legality of reselling\shipping the airbags and make $200 there I guess... listen, parting out a car is a LOT of work, more so than swapping an engine/trans.

4) my offer is 3x what he'll get from his next alternative, a junker.

5) this car has 120k. everybody on this forum knows when an SVTF hits 120k, it's value is at or below a ZX3/ZX5 because of the inherently high maintenance, lower MPG, and lower demand. we love these cars, but most people don't. i was offered $2000 for a trade-in toward my Focus ST on my 2003 Black SVTF 5DR with 119K, which is in showroom condition with no molestation. the only thing that isn't stock is the dogbone mount, european grill and taylor thundervolt wires. dealers don't want them.

6) he could fix it, and he might just do that. it'll cost about $2000 to rebuild the head properly with machine work, new studs and hardware, light porting, valves and seats, and possibly some bottom end work if the piston/sleeve/connecting rod & bearing didn't survive. Or $800 to do it ghetto and just get it limping.

7) considering points 1-6, my offer is his most profitable, least hassle option.

Bookmarks & Social Networks