Those not happy with the 12b37 update - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Those not happy with the 12b37 update

For what it's worth. After I had mine done there seemed like some minor occasions where the shifting was fine but for the most part my biggest gripe was the inconsistent behavior of where it seemed way too eager to shift to the highest gear possible all the time and wanted to lug/bog the motor.

Even while I'm accelerating from a light it would suddenly shift down to 6th way way too early and fall flat on it's face and would rarely drop a gear when trying to speed up a tad. Just more lugging.

Well I know there's been a lot of threads on the topic of the 12b37 update and I happened to catch where one person said something about having disconnected the positive battery cable for 10 mins and forced the car back into the adaptive learning mode. I didn't like the idea of having to lose all my settings and just never really put much weight into thinking that would ever work anyway.

Well about a week ago I was tinkering under the hood and decided what the hell and disconnected my battery. I purposely waited this long to make sure this wasn't a fluke but ever since doing that the DCT has been acting WAY different. It holds the gears longer when I want it to (while accelerating normally) and doesn't seem to try and immediately lug the motor. Also a little pedal action is all it seems to take now for it to drop a gear and help with slight passing, etc. Whereas before it would just Bog until a point that you've pushed the pedal down so far that it violently downshifts. Ugh.

It's still not a 100% though because every once in a while the perfect traffic situation will pop up where it may confuse the DCT with what I'm wanting to do and the 90 degree turns still doesn't seem to figure out what gear it should be in (2nd.. ITS 2nd!!! put it in 2nd Gear!!!) but overall a remarkably drastic improvement for me. It even seems to pull harder which is probably the a result of not shifting short of peak torque.

Just wanted to pass it along and see if anyone else notices an improvement. I just hope it doesn't revert back to it's old habits.

The only theory I can come up with is maybe there's some adaptive learning data from before that was still there and would take a lot of driving to work out or the dealer didn't take the time to wipe the memory, etc. who knows.

Oh and by the way. All your radio Presets, BT Phone, etc do not get erased. the MFT must have it's own battery backup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,216, Level 35
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
I may give this a shot, thanks for sharing!
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
humm, ...I may try this aswell too...before I drop a K&N filter in. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I may have to try this. I did the series of hard accelerations in both "D" and "S" and it made a dramatic improvement in the parking lot speed functionality and some improvements in general shifting, but I still like versions 2.0 and 3.0 better.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
For what it's worth. After I had mine done there seemed like some minor occasions where the shifting was fine but for the most part my biggest gripe was the inconsistent behavior of where it seemed way too eager to shift to the highest gear possible all the time and wanted to lug/bog the motor.

Even while I'm accelerating from a light it would suddenly shift down to 6th way way too early and fall flat on it's face and would rarely drop a gear when trying to speed up a tad. Just more lugging.

Well I know there's been a lot of threads on the topic of the 12b37 update and I happened to catch where one person said something about having disconnected the positive battery cable for 10 mins and forced the car back into the adaptive learning mode. I didn't like the idea of having to lose all my settings and just never really put much weight into thinking that would ever work anyway.

Well about a week ago I was tinkering under the hood and decided what the hell and disconnected my battery. I purposely waited this long to make sure this wasn't a fluke but ever since doing that the DCT has been acting WAY different. It holds the gears longer when I want it to (while accelerating normally) and doesn't seem to try and immediately lug the motor. Also a little pedal action is all it seems to take now for it to drop a gear and help with slight passing, etc. Whereas before it would just Bog until a point that you've pushed the pedal down so far that it violently downshifts. Ugh.

It's still not a 100% though because every once in a while the perfect traffic situation will pop up where it may confuse the DCT with what I'm wanting to do and the 90 degree turns still doesn't seem to figure out what gear it should be in (2nd.. ITS 2nd!!! put it in 2nd Gear!!!) but overall a remarkably drastic improvement for me. It even seems to pull harder which is probably the a result of not shifting short of peak torque.

Just wanted to pass it along and see if anyone else notices an improvement. I just hope it doesn't revert back to it's old habits.

The only theory I can come up with is maybe there's some adaptive learning data from before that was still there and would take a lot of driving to work out or the dealer didn't take the time to wipe the memory, etc. who knows.

Oh and by the way. All your radio Presets, BT Phone, etc do not get erased. the MFT must have it's own battery backup.

Interesting. Did you perform the Ford "drive cycle" after reconnecting the battery or just drive normally?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Interesting. Did you perform the Ford "drive cycle" after reconnecting the battery or just drive normally?

Actually I did do a WOT blast down the road once but for the most part I just drive it normally.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
What is the Ford "Drive Cycle"?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Charlize
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99352
What I Drive: 12 focus white sel

FF Reputation: 1 Charlize Good Standing Member
I hate this update for a slightly different reason... I CAN'T STAND THE BRAKE PEDAL FEEL WITH SLIGHT MODULATION IN TRAFFIC!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95451
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport MT SGM

FF Reputation: 2 Nelson12 Good Standing Member
Why not drive a manual? It shifts when you want it to
Old 08-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson12 View Post
Why not drive a manual? It shifts when you want it to
Not sure if your referring to the DCT's Manual mode or that I should have bought a 5 speed.

@AZFocus - The drive cycle is some crazy convuluted procedure that I guess Ford came up with to throughly set the DCT for optimal shifting. I guess exposing it to every situation but you'd almost need a closed test track to do it. It has you doing 0 to 20, hard braking, slow take offs, hard takes offs, Putting the car in park to drive a dozen times. Its just insane if you ask me. Im sure you can find the procedure on this site somewhere. Aside from doing one Wide Open Throttle beat down after I did the 10min Battery disconnect. Ive been driving normally.

Its still doing great!. I've been watching my shift points lately and a moderate (not wide open) acceleration my shifts are occurring just over 4k RPM, where as before they were around 2500 to 3k.

Its feeling a lot like the Programming prior to 12B37 IMHO.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.