seats and back pain - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Interior Mods & Upgrades

SVT Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the 2002-204 SVT Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
quikstang2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 30436
What I Drive: Ranger & SVO

FF Reputation: 1 quikstang2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
seats and back pain

I used to have a 2000 SE wagon. For some reason the seats wrecked my back. Also drove a friend's first generation Mazda 5 on a road trip for four hours, and my back was mangled by the time I got home. My Ranger seat felt like a La-Z-Boy when I sat in it after that.

I've had a ton of people say that the seats don't hurt their back, so there's no problem. I don't want to debate that. I know my back is not perfect, and that's where the problem is. I don't know why the Focus seat sets me off so badly. I haven't noticed it in any other vehicles, yet.

I'm, once again, considering selling the truck and getting another wagon, for various reasons. I don't mind finding different seats, as long as they bolt straight in. I'll get tracks from one car and a seat from another, but I don't want to splice seat rails together. Ideally, if there's another model or year Focus seat that bolts right in, that would be great. I'm also not sure if the 2005-2007 seats were any different. I know the SVT seats were, but I've never sat in them. I'm not really asking "what seat swaps work?" because I can search that and keep trying them all until I find one that I like. I'm trying to find something better in comparison to those seats.

So my main question is: Given that the 2000-2004 Focus seats kill my back (specifically lower back), what other compatible seats do you think I should try? Or which other ones should I avoid?

Thanks guys. If I find a promising solution to this, I'll probably start car hunting.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Chris_HT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86229
What I Drive: Blue SVT 2002

FF Reputation: 4 Chris_HT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Most of the seats are not really kind to my spine, but I must say my SVT's leather seats (not recaros) are a bless, I do advise you to try them out somehow.

Our Lady of blessed acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan View Post
But.... why read facts and investigate a claim when it supports your ideology?
...that should be written as 'The First Law of Internet Forums'
Old 08-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Notorious0ne
Focus Addict

Fan#: 70375
What I Drive: 05 Saleen Focus, 04 Saleen Focus

FF Reputation: 15 Notorious0ne Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I have to agree with you. The cloth seats in the focus kill my back as well. I now have the SVT recaros with lumbar and its a blessing from god having those in there

The cops are here to keep us safe.............I'm here to keep them busy!

Hatch Nation #43
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
quikstang2
Focus Enthusiast

So there's two SVT seats? Non-Recaro and Recaro? Didn't know that. Either way, it sounds like I should give both a try if I can find them.
Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
xxMichaelAnthony
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58459
What I Drive: 2001 CD Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 xxMichaelAnthony Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
So there's two SVT seats? Non-Recaro and Recaro? Didn't know that. Either way, it sounds like I should give both a try if I can find them.
Thanks guys!
Standard SVT seats

SVT EAP Recaros

Never had any problems in my seat even while recovering from back surgery. The seats and my back surgery arent linked in any way. lol Now the seat in my Ranger, that thing killed my back.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I used to drive company Foci all day and they all have a bar that drive into my lower back plus I like the cushion positioned all the way down, but it leaves a huge uncomfortable gap between the bottom and the seat back. I driven my buddy's Recaro EAP before and it was a night and day difference in comfort. If my buddy didn't sell me his EAP for a steal then I would've bought a replacement Mustang just because of those horrible standard seats.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
BLRich1
Nope, Chuck Testa

Fan#: 22758
What I Drive: '14 TB ST3, '04 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 17 BLRich1 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
the standard SVT seats came in blue too, if that matters.

I would defiantly try and find some recaros to sit in to see if you like them. I love them and my dad says the standard svts are more comfortable for him. As you know, its about what feels good to you.
'04 CD Silver SVT, #877, 1 of 135 May 2011 ROTM, FF11: Best Display, Best of Show; AFN12: Best SVT, Best Audio, Finest Five, Carlisle Nifty Fifty
Old 08-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Echoing everything said above, I have an '05 ST, the stock seats of which were very uncomfortable! I bought seats from an '03 SVT, swapped them into the ST, and it's like night and day, especially on long highway trips. I now have an '04 SVT EAP with the Recaros, and they are even better! The only issue will be, that Focus seats are model year specific for the SRS, meaning that if you have an '03 Focus, you will need seats from an '03 SVT. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
quikstang2
Focus Enthusiast

You know what, the Recaro seats look fairly similar to my SVO seats. I love those things. I think I'm leaning that way. Given that, I assume these are the harder to find and more expensive seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxMichaelAnthony View Post
Never had any problems in my seat even while recovering from back surgery. The seats and my back surgery arent linked in any way. lol
Haha! Thanks for answering my next question in advance!
Thanks for the pics. I remember seeing the standard SVT seat from back when I was all into the Focus stuff... even though I wasn't over enthusiastic.
"It's all coming back to me now," said the blind man peeing into the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRich1 View Post
the standard SVT seats came in blue too, if that matters.
Well I am CDO. So yes, it would matter. If I got a red car, I'd want red seats. Blue car, blue seats. Of course there's this thing where I hate red, so I'll just aim for the blue ones if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLRich1 View Post
I would defiantly try and find some recaros to sit in to see if you like them. I love them and my dad says the standard svts are more comfortable for him. As you know, its about what feels good to you.
Yeah, the plan was to try and find someone with both. Hopefully I'd be able to ride shotgun for a decent trip or two in order to really tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
The only issue will be, that Focus seats are model year specific for the SRS, meaning that if you have an '03 Focus, you will need seats from an '03 SVT. Good luck!
Oh yeah... I forgot about that fancy newfangled stuff like airbags that none of my 1984 stuff has. Thanks for pointing that out. This will probably dictate what year wagon I'm willing to buy.
SVT was 2002 to 2004, right? So, for me, that would rule out 2000-2001 and 2005-2007, unless I found a dead SVT donor (don't want to kill a good car) and was willing to do A LOT of work to swap everything around (and I might be). I should probably look up production numbers to see what year had the most SVTs produced, and therefore be more likely to have spare seats available. Someone slap me if I'm over thinking things.

Side note: Like everyone here, I'm sure, I want to heavily modify the stupid little car if/when I get one. I'd really like to do the Kugel Komponents RWD kit, but keep the stock engine and mount it longitudinally with a T5. Now if I found a donor SVT while looking for seats, then I'd value the option of having a 6th gear over RWD. I guess it all comes down to what I find...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Focusblackzx5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95212
What I Drive: 2005 Black zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Focusblackzx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Same thing for me.. The 05-07 cloth seats were not supporting my back. I have some back problems, so I bougth SVT seats in a junkyard. Lumbars ajustment , reinforced side supports and they are beautiful looking !

I have the red cloth on black leather svt seats set, but if you can find Recaros ... jump on them^^ I don't know for you guys in America but here in Canada, SVT Focuses are very rare.

Bookmarks & Social Networks